Talk

Advanced search

Woman attacked by transactivists at speakers corner - part deux

(877 Posts)
BeyondNoone Mon 18-Sep-17 00:16:15

Here's the link to thread one
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/3033126-London-meeting-to-discuss-Gender-Identity-attacked-by-transactivists

I'm just going to sleep, if someone else can add the news links for me please? Thanks smile

BeyondNoone Mon 18-Sep-17 00:19:41

Times... 👍
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3034856-Janice-Turner-article-in-todays-Times

Sky news... 👍
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3036232-Sky-News-Gender-critical-discussion-of-recent-trans-rights-assault

Daily mail...
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3035606-The-Daily-Mails-take-on-Wednesdays-violence

The Mirror... (haven't seen a thread)
www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mum-punched-face-transgender-group-11190060

BeyondNoone Mon 18-Sep-17 00:21:38

An interesting and somewhat predictable take on events by Pink News...
www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/09/17/woman-beaten-as-trans-exclusionary-radical-feminists-and-trans-activists-fight-in-speakers-corner/

Another interesting take, this time New Statesmen...
www.newstatesman.com/politics/feminism/2017/09/trans-rights-terfs-and-bruised-60-year-old-what-happened-speakers-corner

BeyondNoone Mon 18-Sep-17 00:22:44

Feminist current...
www.feministcurrent.com/2017/09/15/historic-speakers-corner-becomes-site-anti-feminist-silencing-violence/

Did I miss any?

BeyondNoone Mon 18-Sep-17 00:23:23

(I changed my mind about adding the links grin )

NYConcreteJungle Mon 18-Sep-17 00:25:57

m.youtube.com/watch?v=IYIPcfV-F7A&feature=youtu.be

badbadhusky Mon 18-Sep-17 00:26:19

Looks like a fairly comprehensive round up.

BeyondNoone Mon 18-Sep-17 00:32:32

Few more blogs/articles
sisteroutrider.wordpress.com/2017/09/15/punch-a-terf-rhetoric-encourages-violence-against-women/amp/

gendertrender.wordpress.com/2017/09/15/timeline-of-trans-activists-beating-a-woman-in-hyde-park/

www.dailywire.com/news/21042/watch-trans-activist-men-attack-beat-dissenting-60-amanda-prestigiacomo

Video
m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=uL26jtQXSJw

And a load of useful background links shared in the last thread...

Rebecca reilly Cooper
aeon.co/essays/the-idea-that-gender-is-a-spectrum-is-a-new-gender-prison
rebeccarc.com/2016/11/01/the-word-terf/

Miranda Yardley
mirandayardley.com/en/

This is very good too, by claire
storify.com/claireOT2/statement-against-conversion-therapy

Magdalen berns
www.youtube.com/channel/UCvTTakI97sQ4SkMnsH8r0qQ

In case anyone suggest terf is a neutral description
terfisaslur.com

From 2015 but when transactivists tried to stop Germaine Greer giving a talk
www.newstatesman.com/politics/feminism/2015/10/what-row-over-banning-germaine-greer-really-about

The excellent janis Turner on Maria miller's proposal to make it easier to self identify
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/2993425-Maria-Miller-interviewed-by-Janice-Turner-full-text

BeyondNoone Mon 18-Sep-17 00:33:26

And now I'm going to sleep 😴

Gingernaut Mon 18-Sep-17 00:54:15

Found this on Fair Play For Women written by "June".

fairplayforwomen.com/i-knew-i-was-a-woman

HelenaDove Mon 18-Sep-17 02:16:31

Christ the world has gone fucking mad.

Natsku Mon 18-Sep-17 05:57:17

Thanks for posting the article links BeyondNoone trying to work up the courage to stick my head above the parapet and post some on Facebook and twitter.

Datun Mon 18-Sep-17 07:23:42

The incident on Thursday has been dissected by This Never Happens. Because, across-the-board, trans-women are saying Maria started it with a headlock.

www.youtube.com/embed/B7g0zjq4oos

The full site is on fb.

GinSoakedBarroomQueen Mon 18-Sep-17 07:35:53

thenewbacklash.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/thank-you-for-visiting-my-blog.html?m=1

This blog explains transgender identity politics really well.

QuentinSummers Mon 18-Sep-17 07:44:49

Morning

Sunkisses Mon 18-Sep-17 07:46:06

Miranda Yardley has very helpfully put all the film evidence in one place, in a Youtube playlist: www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTQzwHMqTr3QWC25otB11kWkLMCK77Dwd&app=desktop

Thanks for all the above links. So helpful.

BeyondNoone Mon 18-Sep-17 08:11:43

Thanks for the links smile
I think we have everything now.

Oh hang on, there was a great video of Mir the next day, I'll grab that now...

BeyondNoone Mon 18-Sep-17 08:13:34

"Some thoughts on the violence at speakers corner by male transgender activists" by Miranda
youtu.be/qvh4bPqqG4A

BeyondNoone Mon 18-Sep-17 08:14:24

"Speakers corner and the inability of transgender activists and stonewall to condemn male violence" by Miranda
youtu.be/1PEJpfEcSk8

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 18-Sep-17 08:36:49

Thanks for the new thread, and all the resources.

I've been dipping in and out of the thread and doing a lot of "reading" on Twitter.

Some things out of the many that have concerned me on twitter:

TERF = Trans Exclusionary Radical facist

The argument repeated by many different people that TERFS are violent and therefore should be physically attacked.

The TRA liaising with all the trans supporting organisations trying to persuade them to not condemn the attack in anyway.

The absolute hatred and vitriol directed towards Miranda Yardley because she disagrees with TRAs.

The deliberate rewriting of events of speakers corner, complete with stills to show Maria as the attacker, and the TRAs as innocent bystanders, and all the people reading this, believing it, and refusing to look at the actual diaries.

This all really scares me because this is not the actions of an oppressed minority, trying to protect itself, this is an organised attack on women and violence is seen as desirable and necessary.

TheWeeWitch Mon 18-Sep-17 08:39:32

Morning. Thank you to all for the thread and the collation of materials.

I'll add Helen Oxley's post on the GRA and prisons -

https://notthenewsinbriefs.wordpress.com/2017/09/17/why-is-a-a-male-rapist-in-a-womans-prison/amp/

BeyondNoone Mon 18-Sep-17 08:44:25

There was a post on twitter that made me laugh (while being utterly awful) - it was someone insisting on using female pronouns for Miranda, while saying they wished she [sic] would die. They didn't see how utterly ridiculous it was to be 'polite' while wishing death on someone!

theaveragewife Mon 18-Sep-17 08:44:56

Checking in, thank you for the links - I'm reading them one by one. I hate the term 'terf' and 'cis' and that they are forced upon us. I am not interested in excluding transwomen, I would love for them to have their own rape centres and nhs help their own - wish the papers would pick up on this key fact.

Also smarties keep posting flowers i'm in the same boat.

Itsallgoingtobefine 're Twitter I'd add:
-complete refusal to acknowledge facts
- the use of the word "genocide" which is apparently what terfs are committing
- the sexist misogynistic abuse
- the refusal to allow woman's issues to be discussed as such
- the sheet volume of angry, violent men who are willing to publically abuse women for their thoughts.
- the complete unwillingness to discuss. Calm and polite posts get utterly twisted and then dogpiled. It makes it very hard to see how a mid ground can ever be found when the tra side are so entrenched. There's little awareness of the word outside their echo chamber.

BeyondNoone Mon 18-Sep-17 08:53:39

Also the 'fact' that "TERFs don't want us to exist". I have an image of them disappearing like the photo of Marty McFly in BTTF1, with each GC tweet...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now