Best Vacuum Cleaners
We put 15 of the UK's top vacuum cleaners to the test, and our absolute favourite was the Vax Blade 2 Max
Best Vacuum Cleaner 2018
Vax Blade 2 Max
Choosing the right vacuum cleaner for your household can be a bit of a head-scratcher. Upright? Cylinder? Cordless? Bagged? Bagless? And what about filters? Which one is best for dealing with pet hair and how about hard floors? There's a lot to consider.
If you're struggling to understand what you actually need read our Buyer’s Guide to decide what you need from your vacuum cleaner.
After months of testing, the light, versatile and efficient Vax Blade 2 Max, impressed with its ease of use and ability to deal with dirt and debris on any floor type.
While the Vax Blade 32V was our original Mumsnet Best Vacuum Cleaner, we think Vax's new model the Blade 2 Max is even better. That said, the 32V still offers excellent value for money, and if your budget won’t stretch to the Vax Blade 2 Max, then the 32V is a great alternative.
The cordless Vax Blade 32V is powerful and light, and its 45-minute run time means there's enough charge to clean the entire house. We think it's the best vacuum cleaner for most households.
- Quick and easy to assemble
- Incredibly light which means almost effortless cleaning
- Great suction
- Press a button to activate the brush bar – no need to change heads
- Bagless so a little messy to empty
- Need to wash and air dry filter
- Need to buy direct from Vax to get extra tools
- Quite noisy (in comparison to others we tested) – especially if using turbo mode
- RRP: £249
All prices on this page are correct at time of writing
How we tested vacuum cleaners
We spent hours researching the different types of vacuum available
and narrowed them down to ensure we tested a range of models at a range of prices. Then we scoured bestseller lists and asked Mumsetters to tell users which vacuum cleaners they really rated. After this we were left with a shortlist of 14 highly recommended models, including uprights, cylinders and cordless vacuums, here's a list of the products we tested:
Vax Blade 2 Max
Vax Blade 32V
Dyson Big Ball Animal 2
Shark Duo Clean Lift Away
Hoover Enigma Bagged Pets
Vax Airlift Steerable Advance
Miele Blizzard Cat and Dog
Dyson V10 Absolute
Hoover Discovery Pets
Hoover Vision One-Fi
Numatic Henry cordless
Sebo Felix E-Power
Henry Allergy HVA 160-1
Shortlist in hand, our tester (a mother of a very busy household) tested each vacuum for everyday dirt, but also put them through their paces with a range of more targeted tests. After months of testing, five vacuums triumphed – the overall best (Mumsnet Best 2018), best cylinder (Best Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner 2018), best upright (Best Upright Vacuum Cleaner 2018), best vacuum for pet hair (Best for Pet Owners 2108), and the vacuum that offered the best value for money (Best Value for Money Vacuum Cleaner 2018).
The results are based on how well the vacuum works in real situations in a real home, and how it performs on a daily basis. You'll be using your new vacuum in your home, so we believe it's best to put the vacuums through their paces in a real household too.
After months of testing, we’re convinced the Vax Blade 2 Max is the best vacuum cleaner for most families.Read full review » Best price £249 from Vax (includes free tool kit worth over £50)
More Mumsnet Best Vacuum Cleaners
Best Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner 2018
Dyson Big Ball Animal 2
The Dyson Big Ball Animal 2 (£239.97 at Curry's) is a great cylinder vacuum that's ridiculously easy to use and perfect for smaller households. It's easy to manoeuvre and its quick-release tools make cleaning simple.
What's more, it has more capacity than cordless vacuums, so you won't be going back and forth to the bin to empty its contents every other second.
- The tangle-free turbine tool for pet hair uses counter rotating brush heads
- Self-rights when toppled
- Rotating wand handle for easier cleaning (this does take some getting used to, but is very effective)
- Quick-release tools
Best Vacuum Cleaner for Pet Owners 2018
The Gtech Pro (£299.99 on Amazon) is versatile, light and removes pet hair from all surfaces. The cordless vacuum takes care of pet (and human) hair with a few sweeps and its bagged design mean there's no mess when it's time to empty.
We think it's a great buy for pet owners who want the versatility of a cordless and the convenience (and cleanliness) of a bagged vacuum.
- Easy and hygienic to empty – no filters to wash
- Bags hold up to 1.5 litres – that’s three times the amount of other cordless vacuums of a similar size
- Lightweight and versatile – can be used as a floor cleaner or a handheld
Best Value for Money Vacuum Cleaner 2018
Hoover Enigma Pets Bagged
The Hoover Enigma (£99.99 on Very) is a pro at dealing with pet hair and works really well on hard floors and carpets. It's simple to put together, easy to use and very powerful. All for under £100.
With all the Hoover's tools stored on board, there's no going back and forth when you realise you've left the tool you actually need elsewhere. We think it’s the best value for money of all the cleaners we tested.
- Variable power – quick-and-easy-to-change suction means you can easily protect more delicate surfaces
- Pet turbo brush to loosen and lift hair
- Automatic cord rewind – saves having to manually wind up the cord when you've finished vacuuming Seems like a small detail, but when you've cleaned the whole house it can be a huge relief
- Compact and easy to store, so great for smaller homes
Best Budget Cordless Vacuum Cleaner 2018
Vax Blade 32V
This was our original Mumsnet Best Vacuum Cleaner 2018 winner, however we think Vax's new model the Blade 2 Max is even better. The 32V is still a fantastic product – especially if you're on more of a budget.
The Vax Blade 32V (£169 from ao.com) is powerful, light and easy to use. Its 45-minute run time means there’s enough charge to clean the entire house (if you don’t live in a mansion, in which case you should probably buy two or three).
- Lightweight (only 3kg) and easy to manoeuvre
- Steerable – easy to get around furniture
- Boost mode gives extra cleaning power when needed
- Reach wand means you can dust up high and in hard-to-reach places
Best Upright Vacuum Cleaner 2018
Shark DuoClean Powered Lift-Away
The Shark Duoclean (£229 on AO) is a great all-rounder. The upright is effective at dealing with pet hair and is a pro on any surface. The Lift-Away section makes cleaning hard-to-reach areas super easy.
This vacuum cleaner gives you all the versatility of a handheld – it's versatile and great if you're blighted by backpain.
- DuoClean technology – two brush rolls in one head work together to remove large and small particles. The second soft brush means you can move easily from one surface to another.
- Powered Lift-Away – the main unit can be detached with the click of a button, so it's like having an upright and a handheld in one (bonus)
- Anti-Allergen technology captures and holds dust and allergens inside the vacuum