My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think this is a vote winner (though not election clincher) from Sunak?

1000 replies

Lion400 · 12/02/2024 22:36

Thought this was an impressive and clear response to the question, from Rishi. I suppose Labour will likely win by a landslide, because many people don’t care enough about women’s rights. Because I do care very much about women’s rights, I may vote Conservative for the first time ever (cue outrage for Lion). Will I regret it? Possibly. But I’d regret voting for Labour (aka women’s rights removers), even more.

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1757143443111841900

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1757143443111841900

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

531 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
61%
You are NOT being unreasonable
39%
KellyJonesLeatherTrousers · 12/02/2024 22:48

YABU for posting a link from GB news to support your argument. Frankly, if that’s where you choose to get your news from, I already know we will disagree.

ghostyslovesheets · 12/02/2024 22:53

Nope - while I remain GC and disagree with Labours wobbly stance I do NOT, as a woman, think a Tory government is in any way, shape or form a good thing for women or children

I work in the public sector, within children's services - the lack of funding, the rising numbers of kids coming into care, the poverty, the worry and the stress woman are living under. The continued threat on abortion rights from the right, their stance in immigration and language toward asylum seekers, their desecration of the NHS and education - why the fuck would I vote Tory just because they jump on a bandwagon to win votes - they are no friends of women or LGB people

Lion400 · 12/02/2024 22:53

KellyJonesLeatherTrousers · 12/02/2024 22:48

YABU for posting a link from GB news to support your argument. Frankly, if that’s where you choose to get your news from, I already know we will disagree.

😂🙈 I’m not making an argument. An observation with a question I suppose. Thank you for your predictable answer ref the source, I expected no less. Of course it was the current PMs response to the question I was talking about, rather than the programme / website it was on.

OP posts:
Lion400 · 12/02/2024 22:55

ghostyslovesheets · 12/02/2024 22:53

Nope - while I remain GC and disagree with Labours wobbly stance I do NOT, as a woman, think a Tory government is in any way, shape or form a good thing for women or children

I work in the public sector, within children's services - the lack of funding, the rising numbers of kids coming into care, the poverty, the worry and the stress woman are living under. The continued threat on abortion rights from the right, their stance in immigration and language toward asylum seekers, their desecration of the NHS and education - why the fuck would I vote Tory just because they jump on a bandwagon to win votes - they are no friends of women or LGB people

Are they threatening abortion rights?

OP posts:
Badger75 · 12/02/2024 23:00

Care about women’s rights but want to vote for a party that didn’t let misogyny become a hate crime. A party that has increased the cost of living which impacts women more at home and in the labour market. A party that has made childcare costs increase which affects who? Oh yeah mostly women.

What about the party that refused to make menopause a protected characteristic in the equality act? Or a party that has consistently voted against abortion rights.

Just say you don’t like trans people instead of saying you’re voting for a party because you care about women’s rights.

Lion400 · 12/02/2024 23:08

Badger75 · 12/02/2024 23:00

Care about women’s rights but want to vote for a party that didn’t let misogyny become a hate crime. A party that has increased the cost of living which impacts women more at home and in the labour market. A party that has made childcare costs increase which affects who? Oh yeah mostly women.

What about the party that refused to make menopause a protected characteristic in the equality act? Or a party that has consistently voted against abortion rights.

Just say you don’t like trans people instead of saying you’re voting for a party because you care about women’s rights.

Why would I say that when it is not true?

I’m under no illusion that the tories care particularly about women. Will they make things better for women, doubt it.

However we know with certainty that Labour will make it worse for women. Biological men will be allowed in to domestic violence shelters, rape crises centres, women’s prisons, women’s and girls changing rooms, girls toilets, women’s sport. And more

OP posts:
Hipnotised · 12/02/2024 23:09

Lion400 · 12/02/2024 22:53

😂🙈 I’m not making an argument. An observation with a question I suppose. Thank you for your predictable answer ref the source, I expected no less. Of course it was the current PMs response to the question I was talking about, rather than the programme / website it was on.

The source is important whether you agree or not.

Obviously if you're watching that channel you're unlikely to support Labour.

HRTQueen · 12/02/2024 23:10

It might be a vote winner for yourself and no doubt others

I think for the majority it shall be about what impacts them day to day (finances, spending on health/education, improving general day to day life for us all) a man being in the woman’s changing room isn’t an every day issue

Lion400 · 12/02/2024 23:13

Hipnotised · 12/02/2024 23:09

The source is important whether you agree or not.

Obviously if you're watching that channel you're unlikely to support Labour.

Edited

Grow up. 🙄 I wasn’t watching that channel. Though I do think it’s content rather than label that matters. I saw it on Twitter. In fact I don’t have Twitter so it was a link from face book to Twitter to gb news.

OP posts:
LittleGreenDragons · 12/02/2024 23:14

I sometimes wonder which news source would be acceptable to some people. Can we have a definitive list?

I also see two posters have claimed he's after women's abortion rights. Links please or you are just bs'ers. And make sure those links are from the "good" sources tyvm.

ghostyslovesheets · 12/02/2024 23:15

However we know with certainty that Labour will make it worse for women. Biological men will be allowed in to domestic violence shelters, rape crises centres, women’s prisons, women’s and girls changing rooms, girls toilets, women’s sport. And more

but that is a fight that we are ALREADY having under the Tories - and will continue to fight under the next government - it's not going away. The Tories have been in power for 14 years - where is the legislation if they are so pro women? Can't see them rushing to stop men playing in women's sport or access women only services - just making crass remarks to score points

bozzabollix · 12/02/2024 23:15

GB News. Give me strength.

So you’re voting for a party whose members gerrymandered rather than let a bill criminalising upskirting go through, thinking they’re passionate about women’s rights? If you’re falling for the kind of stuff GB News pedal then you’re behind help. Still, loads of GB News/culture wars protagonists out there with you, you may just get what you want.

Women and children are always disproportionately affected by the Conservative policies, but don’t let that stop you.

maddening · 12/02/2024 23:16

I will be voting party of women

Penguinmouse · 12/02/2024 23:19

Take a look at the type of candidates the Tories have selected and start asking if they are pro-woman. Mhairi Fraser and Miriam Cates who are anti-abortion, even anti-IVF. The Tories are going to lurch even further to the right when they lose. If they cared about women more than shouting “what is a woman?! 🤪”, maybe they’d have spent some time in the last 14 years improving maternity pay and rights, access to refuges, protecting abortion services from protesters.

Medhelppls · 12/02/2024 23:19

However we know with certainty that Labour will make it worse for women. Biological men will be allowed in to domestic violence shelters, rape crises centres, women’s prisons, women’s and girls changing rooms, girls toilets, women’s sport. And 

Half of these places will cease to exist and the others will fall into such a dire state we will wish they didn’t if we let this government continue to run.

I agree with Rishi here but anyone who thinks they are the party for women are very much deluded.

HRTQueen · 12/02/2024 23:20

I don’t think Labour dropping there 28 billion green investment pledge will damage them particularly so I don’t think Labour changing stance around what is a woman debate will either (though Starmers fuck up will be used against him)

these issues are not the most pressing issues for the majority

Lion400 · 12/02/2024 23:20

bozzabollix · 12/02/2024 23:15

GB News. Give me strength.

So you’re voting for a party whose members gerrymandered rather than let a bill criminalising upskirting go through, thinking they’re passionate about women’s rights? If you’re falling for the kind of stuff GB News pedal then you’re behind help. Still, loads of GB News/culture wars protagonists out there with you, you may just get what you want.

Women and children are always disproportionately affected by the Conservative policies, but don’t let that stop you.

I’m under no illusion that the tories care particularly about women. Will they make things better for women, doubt it. 

However we know with certainty that Labour will make it worse for women. Biological men will be allowed in to domestic violence shelters, rape crises centres, women’s prisons, women’s and girls changing rooms, girls toilets, women’s sport. And more

Also - does anyone understand how news works these days? I’ll say it one more time for those in the back

I wasn’t watching that channel. Though I do think it’s content rather than label that matters. I saw it on Twitter. In fact I don’t have Twitter so it was a link from facebook to Twitter to gb news.

OP posts:
Badger75 · 12/02/2024 23:23

Lion400 · 12/02/2024 23:08

Why would I say that when it is not true?

However we know with certainty that Labour will make it worse for women. Biological men will be allowed in to domestic violence shelters, rape crises centres, women’s prisons, women’s and girls changing rooms, girls toilets, women’s sport. And more

So if you’re under no illusion that they care about women why say you would vote for them if you are for women’s rights?

NashvilleQueen · 12/02/2024 23:24

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Fluffyowl00 · 12/02/2024 23:25

What IS it like working for the Tory party?

ghostyslovesheets · 12/02/2024 23:25

again - what have the Tories - in 14 years - done about this? If they care so much?

Stop being distracted by sound bites and look at the last 14 years - especially cuts to services women rely on - education, health, children's services, and ask if voting |Tory helps women?

Lion400 · 12/02/2024 23:25

Badger75 · 12/02/2024 23:23

So if you’re under no illusion that they care about women why say you would vote for them if you are for women’s rights?

‘I’m under no illusion that the tories care particularly about women. Will they make things better for women, doubt it’

But know Labour will make it worse.

Is what I said.

OP posts:
Badger75 · 12/02/2024 23:25

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Badger75 · 12/02/2024 23:26

Lion400 · 12/02/2024 23:25

‘I’m under no illusion that the tories care particularly about women. Will they make things better for women, doubt it’

But know Labour will make it worse.

Is what I said.

No you said this

Because I do care very much about women’s rights, I may vote Conservative for the first time ever

Lion400 · 12/02/2024 23:27

ghostyslovesheets · 12/02/2024 23:25

again - what have the Tories - in 14 years - done about this? If they care so much?

Stop being distracted by sound bites and look at the last 14 years - especially cuts to services women rely on - education, health, children's services, and ask if voting |Tory helps women?

It’s more that Labour will make it worse for women (for reasons I’ve mentioned above), I’m afraid.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

This thread is not accepting new messages.