Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To have not let my DD go to school in a Primark seamless set

208 replies

Dramachameleon · 09/09/2022 08:56

Just that really. It’s non uniform day in school and she wanted to wear a crop top and those godawful see through leggings.

Shes worn mini skirts , ripped jeans etc into no uniform days before so i am not madly strict on clothes . The school is not overly strict but are quite hot on wearing the correct uniform, but these sets are just dreadful, and around our way worn by a certain group of teens which I don’t really want my DD hanging out with.

She went nuts , DH went nuts

Were we unreasonable

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

1155 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
10%
You are NOT being unreasonable
90%
GreenManalishi · 09/09/2022 11:42

My daughter wouldn't be wearing underwear, a swimming costume, a Halloween oufit, pyjamas, a floor length cloak, a police uniform or a see through Primark seamless set amongst other things to school. Because none of them are appropriate and it's a good life skill to be able to distinguish this.

arthurfowlermood · 09/09/2022 11:47

Saynotothefishtank · 09/09/2022 11:21

No, they aren’t “all” wearing it. A certain type of teen is wearing it and OP doesn’t want her teen in that group.

OP yanbu. But it would be better to veto the clothes when they’re bought rather than argue about when theh can be worn.

I beg to differ...... I live in a huge, diverse town and I can guarantee the girls from "good homes" "the upper class" "wealthy, well bred, rich and privileged" teens are wearing them as well as the "certain type of teens" that you are looking down your nose at.

FrangipaniBlue · 09/09/2022 11:48

No, they aren’t “all” wearing it. A certain type of teen is wearing it and OP doesn’t want her teen in that group.

and what type of teen is that then?

FrangipaniBlue · 09/09/2022 11:49

You can add 41 year old women to that list too @arthurfowlermood because I'm currently walking around in leggings and a crop top.... as I've done most of summer 😂

arthurfowlermood · 09/09/2022 11:50

Also those sets are absolutely NOT see through.

arthurfowlermood · 09/09/2022 11:51

FrangipaniBlue · 09/09/2022 11:49

You can add 41 year old women to that list too @arthurfowlermood because I'm currently walking around in leggings and a crop top.... as I've done most of summer 😂

GOOD for you @FrangipaniBlue I bet it looks fab on you! Wish I had the figure! Unfortunately I would look like the Sunday roast beef in the net bag :)

Connie2468 · 09/09/2022 11:52

How ever chill the school is about uniform, I can't imagine see-through leggings and a crop top being ok...

Minesril · 09/09/2022 11:53

ButteredJorts · 09/09/2022 10:14

Can't really say whether YABU or not because I'm mainly of the wear what you want and sod everyone else variety, but if they are really see through then I'm not sure.

Like PPs though she probably took it anyway and got changed at school!

I will say though that be grateful she's not me at 14.
I was a provocative little shit at that age and for mufti days I wore the MOST controversial band tees I could, including Marilyn Mason and THAT Cradle of Filth tee. (I won't even describe it, it was utterly gross!- got suspended for that one!) Blush

The one with the nun? Grin

Sunnyqueen · 09/09/2022 11:53

Saynotothefishtank · 09/09/2022 11:21

OP yanbu. But it would be better to veto the clothes when they’re bought rather than argue about when theh can be worn.

Hence why I wrote ', most of them anyway' or do you have problems reading??

JackandSam · 09/09/2022 12:13

This is one thing I won't police.

I wore some horrendous outfits as a teen. No, my parents didn't approve, but most of the time they simply didn't know.

I had a pair of white hot pants, a pink striped thin strap cropped top and stripper heels. It was my favourite outfit!

BeautifulDragon · 09/09/2022 12:22

I had a pair of white hot pants, a pink striped thin strap cropped top and stripper heels. It was my favourite outfit!

But did you wear it to school??

No one (well most people) aren't saying that you should police every item of clothing a teen wears.

TheyreOnlyNoodlesMichael · 09/09/2022 12:23

Brideandpredjudice · 09/09/2022 10:25

I imagine it's a set like this, but with leggings instead of shorts. For those unsure.

What on earth is wrong with these sets? Cycling shorts and a crop top essentially. Why is that a problem?

TheyreOnlyNoodlesMichael · 09/09/2022 12:24

A certain type of teen is wearing it and OP doesn’t want her teen in that group

What "type of teen"?

Mummyoflittledragon · 09/09/2022 12:26

My dd would wear Nike Pros, a zip up hoody and a crop top underneath with the hoody covering the flesh as she wouldn’t be allowed to wear crop tops to school and the school also doesn’t allow this.

Was your dd wearing a zip up hoody he could wear all day?

Mummyoflittledragon · 09/09/2022 12:27

I think you’ve got a lot of YANBU because you said the clothes are see through btw. They don’t look see through.

Testina · 09/09/2022 12:28

“The idea that it’s worn by certain teenagers is a big factor in this“

Then YABU. No doubt it’s too “chavvy”? for you? You let her buy it 🤷🏻‍♀️

Sunnyqueen · 09/09/2022 12:33

TheyreOnlyNoodlesMichael · 09/09/2022 12:24

A certain type of teen is wearing it and OP doesn’t want her teen in that group

What "type of teen"?

Wondering this too... You know what happens with parents who are judgemental about this shit? The kids still end up running with who they want to they just lie to their parents about their lives for the next few years. Which is actually far more dangerous. My mum was a cool mum which resulted in her knowing where I was (mostly at my house with my friends instead of on the street), knowing who my friends were and what we were all doing. My friends parents on the other hand, had no idea what they were getting up to they would be the ones lying saying they were on a sleepover when we were actually going out in town. My mum knew so knew to expect us home by a certain time. That's the difference. So just chill on the attitude, she'll do it all if she wants to and you can privvy and be able to guide her or she can keep it all from you.

TheyreOnlyNoodlesMichael · 09/09/2022 12:36

Testina · 09/09/2022 12:28

“The idea that it’s worn by certain teenagers is a big factor in this“

Then YABU. No doubt it’s too “chavvy”? for you? You let her buy it 🤷🏻‍♀️

I could almost guarantee that she doesn't mean "chavvy", nor do the other posters who agree. The use of terms like 'revealing' and "certain men will be tempted" make it quite clear what 'type of teens' she is referring to.

arthurfowlermood · 09/09/2022 12:40

I could almost guarantee that she doesn't mean "chavvy", nor do the other posters who agree. The use of terms like 'revealing' and "certain men will be tempted" make it quite clear what 'type of teens' she is referring to.

No, still lost, what type of teens do you mean?

SunflowerOrange · 09/09/2022 12:45

Wow our school wouldn't allow leggings without a skirt or dress or something over them at all. No stomach on show so no crop tops unless your hood was done up over them.

There is no way in earth a crop top and leggings would be OK at schools here on non uniform day. It would be akin to turning up in a bikini!

nachoavocado · 09/09/2022 12:49

Brideandpredjudice · 09/09/2022 10:25

I imagine it's a set like this, but with leggings instead of shorts. For those unsure.

They look fine for PE? But no not for wearing usually.

lightisnotwhite · 09/09/2022 12:49

@Minesril thank you for the clue. Just googled it. My younger self would have loved that. Probably have been my rugby training top.

That type of teen is the low aspirational one. There’s nothing wrong with the clothes themselves but if it’s just to get self esteem from boys telling you they’d shag you, it’s not to be encouraged. That’s with or without money.

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

arthurfowlermood · 09/09/2022 12:52

lightisnotwhite · 09/09/2022 12:49

@Minesril thank you for the clue. Just googled it. My younger self would have loved that. Probably have been my rugby training top.

That type of teen is the low aspirational one. There’s nothing wrong with the clothes themselves but if it’s just to get self esteem from boys telling you they’d shag you, it’s not to be encouraged. That’s with or without money.

That type of teen is the low aspirational one

Do you mean low esteem or having no desire to achieve? Big difference there.

Testina · 09/09/2022 12:54

Have I missed a name change @TheyreOnlyNoodlesMichael ?
I searched all OP and didn’t see her adding any more deceptions around tempting men.

TheyreOnlyNoodlesMichael · 09/09/2022 12:56

I didn't say that OP said anything about tempting men. I said "the other posters who agree". It was another poster who said that men are "tempted" by the clothes that teenage girls wear.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.