Talk

Advanced search

Witches brew root canals and carrots; Lovely, Friendly Perfume Thread - 8

(995 Posts)
MrsPestilence Tue 31-Oct-17 22:45:50

A continuation of our Long running thread. Think this is just in time.

Lots of lovely things to smell.
Everyone is welcome.

MrsMacNally Tue 31-Oct-17 22:54:15

Thank you for the new thread Pest.

wobblywonderwoman Tue 31-Oct-17 22:56:15

First time on here but long time lurker. I just bought SJP Lovely for everyday wear based on recommendations for a while about it. Happy with it and inexpensive.

BluebellGal Tue 31-Oct-17 22:58:53

Welcome to any newbie perfumistas. Please tell us your scent of the day (SOTD) discuss favourites, recent purchases and ask any questions as there are lots of experts on here!

Just to warn you, three of us are doing a blind sampling experiment this week and posting more than usual. Please don’t be scared off by what might appear to be cliquey chat and do join in and help us guess the perfumes we’re smelling. You’ll see sample B, C etc

BluebellGal Tue 31-Oct-17 23:00:09

Wobbly welcome. SJP lovely is one of the best sleb scents, it’s also inexpensive like you say. I like it but don’t own it (yet!)

Judydreamsofhorses Tue 31-Oct-17 23:02:36

MY ROOT CANAL IS ON FRIDAY.

I am scared.

Thank you for the new thread!

MrsPestilence Tue 31-Oct-17 23:04:37

Warning, Pest sample C may not be too work friendly. wink

Welcome Wobbly, SJP is a good one to have in your collection.

MrsPestilence Tue 31-Oct-17 23:06:28

grin We're rooting for you Judy grin

MrsMacNally Tue 31-Oct-17 23:11:22

Judy - I'll be in the dentist's chair again on Friday finding out what my options are for the root canal treated tooth that's snapped off under a crown. Will be thinking of you. Fed up with looking like a pirate. Avoiding rum-based fragrance.

MrsMacNally Tue 31-Oct-17 23:14:22

Hello Wobbly. Big fan of SJP's Stash.

Pest & Blue - are we onto Pest B tomorrow, or have I lost the plot?

BluebellGal Tue 31-Oct-17 23:37:50

We’ve done so far....
Pest A (Caron Royal Bain) Pest B (Fat Wood L’Atelier Amber Pampelmouse Rose)
Bluebell A (Miller Harris Noix de Tubereuse) Bluebell B (Bath House Velvet Orchid and Cardamom)
MrsMc A (Caldey Island No 1) MrsMc B (L’Artisan Passage d’Enfer)

MrsMacNally Tue 31-Oct-17 23:42:41

Ah! Sorry for the concentration lapse, and thank you for the plot recap. So onto your C?

GreenPolishToGo Tue 31-Oct-17 23:50:43

Ah, found you all! Thank you for our new thread Pest . Looks like you were just in the nick of time. And what a very appropriate title for Halloween. thlsmile

Hello and welcome wobbly . Lovely is one of the many I keep meaning to try. So many scents, so little time, such an uncooperative bank balance...thlwink

TeaAndToast how very unhelpful of Chanel. I think whoever you were dealing with just doesn't know what's happening to Eau Première, though why they can't say so is beyond me. I am not a Chanel expert either but if it was a perfume I loved I'd be inclined to buy a back-up bottle sooner rather than later. Making it only available online doesn't sound promising for its continuation.

Judy and MrsMac very best of luck with the dental work on Friday.

I have an untried sample of Passage d'Enfer I must dig out. Actually, I had two, but I gave one to DD to take away with her. She thought it was beautiful. I remember being surprised by her description because with a name like Passage to Hell I'd assumed it was warm and spicy.

I really want to try Damn Rebel Witches too. I loved the sample of Damn Rebel Bitches Sarah Mac gave us at the 4160 Tuesdays perfume workshop. I wish it was in her own line-up so we could hope for it becoming a half price scent of the week sometime.

And, on the subject of 4160, the crowdfunded rhubarb and custard scents are ready and going in the post this week. I am very excited.

I meant to wear Magie Noire for the trick or treaters tonight but Classique is still going strong from this morning!

MrsMacNally Tue 31-Oct-17 23:55:55

<Waves to Green> Whoop! Whoop! on the rhubarb and custard front.

CountFosco Wed 01-Nov-17 06:04:55

Avoiding rum-based fragrance

grin Good luck with all the root canal work. I've had 2, they took a lot longer to settle down and not bother me than the dentist said but now are both fine. DH enjoys having root canals - weirdo!

boldlygoingsomewhere Wed 01-Nov-17 06:16:40

Settling in to the new thread!
The notes in the Illamasqua perfume sound really intriguing - very unusual.

Does anyone have any recommended sellers on Ebay? I'd like to get some more vintage samples.

explodingkittens Wed 01-Nov-17 07:07:52

Woohoo, new thread! Welcome wobbly - I've heard only good things about SJP Lovely. Really fancy trying Stash, too, while I'm at it.

Tooth woes chez Kittens too - dp has lost a crown. Sending relaxing, painless vibes for Friday judy.

SOTD is 24 Faubourg. God I love this; it makes me feel like a proper grown-up. I have to chair a meeting today during which we will discuss an issue on which I have Unfashionable Views, so I need something to make me feel like I have my head screwed on. Gotta love academia <<sigh>>

explodingkittens Wed 01-Nov-17 07:15:10

Although maybe Damn Rebel Bitches would be more appropriate grin

CheapTarnishedGlitter Wed 01-Nov-17 09:26:34

Good luck kittens. Are you in HE? Hope all goes well...

In Bottega Veneta today and LOVING it. May have to get another sample.

Not sure if it helps Blue but after my mum died we went back to her house after leaving the hospital and there was a bunch of flowers waiting from a couple of good friends. One of the very few things that made me smile that day.

OCSockOrphanage Wed 01-Nov-17 09:43:17

Off my broomstick and checking in to new thread. Thank you for getting it ready.

Best wishes for all the imminent dental appointments. Let's hope the dentist is Painless; love that section from the original M*A*S*H*.

There's just a smidge left in my 24 Faubourg EK but I haven't used it for ages, so thanks for the nudge. It is a bit grown up and quite formal, which is probably why I keep passing over it in favour of something greener, woodier and more laid back. Pondering today's choices now but to update the last few days, scents have been JHAG Moon Dance (the only tuberose I like), Tam Dao and Vert d'Encens.

BluebellGal Wed 01-Nov-17 10:17:23

SOTD Miller Harris Noix de Tubereuse

Feeling stressed today. Lot on my plate! Trying to break everything down into bite sized chunks and remember to breathe deeply and not lose my cool!

also having tooth woes, one of my teeth started crumbling away last, lucky then that is is the tooth im having pulled out under sedation in a couple of weeks. very grateful that i'm not in pain with it.thanks for all with tooth woes]

SOTD is SJP Stash. i really just love this, its deep and spicy. really rather interesting

Honeycake50 Wed 01-Nov-17 10:56:49

I have had 4 root canals, probably more on the cards.. Ask for double dose injection and the world is a much better place, you don't feel a thing.

If you feel anything after one injection raise your hand and stop them and ask for more. Nowadays as much as I dislike going to the dentist I really don't feel anything because of this.

Let us know how it goes.

MrsMacNally Wed 01-Nov-17 11:31:44

Hi Pest & Bluebell: shall we give Pest C a whirl today, or do you need a day off Blue? (Funnily enough I think it might have some tuberose in it?).

CountFosco Wed 01-Nov-17 12:12:58

SotD Ealing Green. Lovely green scent, probably my favourite so far out of the Fresh Outdoors taster set. Getting the thyme and geranium and touches of rose and lavender.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now