Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your pet, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Not sure how much to intervene with this cat.

Toddlerteaplease · 28/04/2022 11:55

Out for a walk yesterday and came across a cat in very poor condition. Skinny and dirty. I spoke to a neighbour who said he is fed twice a day. And has always looked scruffy.

Posted on my local cat's Facebook page, and got inundated with people telling me to basically cat nap him.

A rescue fit in touch with me who are willing to help. Went back for another look, there is a note on the bib saying that he's fed and watered and although the looks uncared for he isn't and is an actor. The person who was feeding him has died and the house sold. But he's still being cared for.
I feel that I should leave it. Its not ideal, but the note on the bin suggests other people are concerned and they are aware of it.
But now the rescue want to scan him and possibly take to a vet. Help what do I do now!!

Not sure how much to intervene with this cat. Not sure how much to intervene with this cat.
OP's posts:
Please
or

BlanketsBanned · 28/04/2022 12:00

The message is unsigned, he has no paper collar for contact details, just because he is fed it doesnt mean he is cared for. He looks filthy, his ear is bad, his face is all scratched up. He looks thoroughly miserable and older cats can be clean and happy. I would take him to a vet for a chip and a check up. A note on a random waste bin is meaningless. Poor little soul.

Please
or

Toddlerteaplease · 28/04/2022 12:34

The lady from the rescue is going to meet me on Monday and we will see if we can scan him for a chip.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Toddlerteaplease · 28/04/2022 12:35

How do I world a note to put through the door.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Want2beme · 28/04/2022 12:42

OMG, that cat is not being cared for, not as we know it. Poor old thing. I wonder if he's intact and running around, looking for a mate? Well done, Toddler. So glad you've got your eye on him. Great rescue for helping you as well.

Please
or

Beamur · 28/04/2022 12:45

Being fed is not the same as being cared for. He looks dirty and in need of a vet check up. It might not be neutered, wormed, or have flea treatment done.
I would meet the person from the cat rescue and see what they say.

Please
or

Toddlerteaplease · 28/04/2022 14:55

I've tried CP who were no help and got nowhere with the RSPCA.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Toddlerteaplease · 28/04/2022 14:56

The neighbours believe that he's an old stray, that was being fed by a lady who died two years ago. Want to just go and catch him but can't cat nap him.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Presidente · 28/04/2022 15:02

Toddlerteaplease · 28/04/2022 14:56

The neighbours believe that he's an old stray, that was being fed by a lady who died two years ago. Want to just go and catch him but can't cat nap him.

But if he's a stray then you're not 'cat napping' him. He doesn't belong to anyone. Just because he's being fed by someone doesn't mean he belongs to them. As others have said, he's clearly not being cared.

I stole a neighbours cat once because it looked all skin and bone and had a claggy arse and a torn ear. The RSPCA came out to collect him. They called me later to say he has a chip and belonged to a family a few doors up. He was very old (skin and bone), had some bowel issues (claggy arse) and had recently had a scrap with another cat (torn ear).

So it was a genuine cat napping (because he belonged to someone) but I don't regret it for a second.

Please
or

Yarnasaurus · 28/04/2022 15:06

He looks way worse than a typical slightly shabby very elderly cat. My last old boy was still bright eyed and clean even after he lost weight/muscle mass and right up to the end when I had him PTS.

Good luck with the rescue.

Please
or

CarrieCookie · 28/04/2022 15:07

RSPCA are shite. I'd definitely get him checked over by a vet and scanned just in case.

But as a side note when my elderly cat was in her final months she looked an absolute state, our vet told us to keep her in because people would think she wasn't being cared for.

Hope you can sort him out though OP.

Please
or

Toddlerteaplease · 28/04/2022 15:48

I'm
Meeting a lady from a local rescue in monday and we will try and find him and scan him.

OP's posts:
Please
or

AnyCakeButBattenburg · 28/04/2022 15:50

Take the cat! My own cat is old (18 or so) but certainly doesn't look like that one. That poor thing needs a loving home with warmth and care.

Please
or

Presidente · 28/04/2022 15:54

Toddlerteaplease · 28/04/2022 15:48

I'm
Meeting a lady from a local rescue in monday and we will try and find him and scan him.

Fuck that, just take the cat now.

Please
or

DontKeepTheFaith · 28/04/2022 18:22

Poor cat, he looks a really sad mess😥
Our cat was underweight when she came to us but still bright eyed with a clean glossy coat. That cat does not look like it’s being looked after by anyone😥

Glad you are trying to look out for him😻

Please
or

leotardrock · 28/04/2022 19:11

Glad the local cat rescue will help!

I hope you can get him scanned - someone may be looking for him! 🙁

My cat has been missing since November & if he was on that sort of state & no one had helped him I would be devastated!

Thank you for looking out for him ❤️

Please
or

Toddlerteaplease · 28/04/2022 20:08

I'd gladly have him myself if he's homeless. Unfortunately the current overlords would not tolerate it. Snorg hates non Persians.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Toddlerteaplease · 02/05/2022 12:50

Went to see the cat with a lady from a rescue. He's in a really bad way. Much worse than I thought. So we've cat napped him and she's taking him to a vet. I suspect he might be PTS. Which might be the kindest thing.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Wolfiefan · 02/05/2022 12:54

Oh Toddler bless you for getting him the attention he needs. He does look in a really bad way. Still hoping for better news.

Please
or

Toddlerteaplease · 02/05/2022 12:58

She'll let me know. Slightly surprised that she didn't bring a basket. Had to nip home and get one of mine. Need to pick it up later. Do she'll ring me with an update. He was living in a little den between two wheelie bins. And was ravenous when we fed him.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Wolfiefan · 02/05/2022 13:11

Poor little soul. Fingers crossed.

Please
or

AWOL66 · 02/05/2022 13:23

Thank you for helping this poor handsome cat! He will be so happy to have somewhere warm and some food and even if he does eventually get put to sleep he will know he was being cared about with people who love cats 💔😻💖

Please
or

viques · 02/05/2022 13:27

Well done OP, sounds as though you have done the right thing, I really hope the rescue can bring him back from the brink and that he has a happier future but if not take HUGE comfort in the fact that if he is PTS then at the end of his life he will be warm, fed, comfortable and cared for, and that he will die with dignity and without distress.

Please
or

Yarnasaurus · 02/05/2022 13:41

Well done, so pleased he's being seen by the vet, and whatever the outcome it will be better than the grim life he's been living Flowers

Please
or

Toddlerteaplease · 02/05/2022 14:29

He's going to a vet tomorrow. Currently at a foster placement and having the run of the conservatory. Having lots of fuss and enjoying it apparently.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Want2beme · 02/05/2022 14:39

So glad he's being cared for now, Toddler. We all need to look out for them. Bless you and his foster home. Really hope he'll pull through and enjoy a lovely retirement😺

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.