Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

I’m collecting two magic bags today..

Justjoinedforthis · 25/06/2022 09:24

From Too Good To Go! Have had mixed results previously, once I got some sourdough bread, organic lamb, organic pork and lots of veg for 4 quid! But last time it was a gone off artichoke, peaches and squashy bananas. Does anyone else use it?
One bag is from the local health food shop, and one from a local cafe. Might ask for recipe suggestions later depending on what I get.

OP's posts:
Please
or

TheDoveFromAboveCooCoo · 25/06/2022 10:13

We did it once and got bananas so overripe they were dripping 🤢🤢🤢 about 42 lemons and a vegan ready meal.

Haven't bothered again but would like to know what you get!

Please
or

OldTinHat · 25/06/2022 10:26

I was very happy with my TGTG bag!

I’m collecting two magic bags today..
Please
or

TheDoveFromAboveCooCoo · 25/06/2022 10:49

OldTinHat · 25/06/2022 10:26

I was very happy with my TGTG bag!

Wow that's an impressive haul!

Please
or

dizzyupthegirl86 · 25/06/2022 10:54

I got a costa one once and they handed over two bags. No idea why. Nine sandwiches and a Mac and cheese for about three quid!
Im curious about the breakfast carvery ones though!

Please
or

Kittykat93 · 25/06/2022 10:57

The Gregg's ones are good

Please
or

nokitchen · 25/06/2022 11:02

I like the m and s ones

Please
or

shewhomustbeEbayed · 25/06/2022 11:10

I wasn’t impressed by Costa one as not much in it ( seems to vary SO much from shop to shop )
I also bought one from Montezumas chocolate which I was so excited about, I was very surprised how out of date most of the chocolate was ( I thought it might be approaching the bbd ) it was actually months past the date, I did complain but was told chocolate is safe to eat years later.

Please
or

GalactatingGoddess · 25/06/2022 11:58

I'm collecting a Veggie Carvery one tonight! First time ever.

Please
or

PuffyMcPuffFace · 25/06/2022 17:51

I have never heard of these so just downloaded the app and booked a Greggs one for tomorrow - my DH will be delighted 😀

Please
or

Justjoinedforthis · 25/06/2022 18:38

@OldTinHat What a result!!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Justjoinedforthis · 25/06/2022 18:41

My first one has organic pork burgers which went in the freezer, and an organic tuscan sausage spiral, plus different flavours of yeovalley yoghurts, mozarella, and some weird vegan ‘cheese’ and chive spread which I will put on olio. Happy with that!
Cafe one was a bit measley: some really nice posh potato salad, a beany veggie sausage roll type thing, and an apple turnover.
I really enjoy the lucky dip element. The Turkish restaurant Kervan do it which I am tempted by!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Justjoinedforthis · 25/06/2022 18:42

@GalactatingGoddess Good luck, sounds like a good one, there must be good leftovers at a carvery

OP's posts:
Please
or

Justjoinedforthis · 25/06/2022 18:44

@TheDoveFromAboveCooCoo hmm that sounds pretty … UVAVU. It’s really hit and miss.

OP's posts:
Please
or

chiffchaffchiff · 25/06/2022 19:10

I got a Starbucks one last Sunday to try it out. I got a croissant, egg mayo and cress sandwich, ham and cheese panini, chocolate muffin, blueberry muffin and brownie for £3.59. I was very impressed. Quite lucky with the sandwiches too as I'm vegetarian and DH isn't. Pick up was 3.30pm so it was perfect for a lazy dinner.

Please
or

Justjoinedforthis · 25/06/2022 19:18

@chiffchaffchiff that’s a great one! I wonder if they break even or make a small profit on the bags

OP's posts:
Please
or

GreenIsle · 25/06/2022 19:20

I would love for this to be a running thread with pictures of your items, I have been eyeing my local cafe for ages which has the most amazing baked goods but have been nervous to do it for some reason.

Please
or

MsOllie · 25/06/2022 19:24

I would love for this to be a running thread with pictures of your items, I have been eyeing my local cafe for ages which has the most amazing baked goods but have been nervous to do it for some reason.

Please
or

listsandbudgets · 25/06/2022 19:26

We used it in Central London and mainly lived on very expensive cakes from upmarket bakeries - the type that retail at £5 plus. Not very practical for day to day but lovely for a change.

We also got a Cafe Nero one and they handed over 2 bags, one with sandwiches and the other containing about 20 pastries - we were handing them out to people in the hotel Grin

Please
or

DelilahBucket · 25/06/2022 19:27

I really like it. Only had one bad bag, consisting of four packets of dried dill, a packet of dried dill seeds and a small bag of rice. The company was clearly using it to advertise. Beyond that I've had some brilliant stuff. Our local Toby Carvery is good for breakfast (which fed two of us for lunch) and carvery, and the Co-op. I tend to only get them for places I know I'm already going to do I'm not spending extra on fuel.
We got a breakfast bag from Leon a few week ago. Breakfast for three for just over £3. A vegan sausage sandwich, a sausage sandwich and a pot of plain porridge. Now I was the one who had the plain porridge and it was boring as f* but it kept me going all day and for what it cost, it was a good meal.

Please
or

Favouritefruits · 25/06/2022 19:40

Toby carvery do a breakfast one for £2.29 pick up is at 11.15 so perfect for a brunch.

Please
or

inappropriateraspberry · 25/06/2022 19:43

I got a Costa one the other day. A ham and cheese toastie, an M&S macaroni cheese toastie, a box of macaroni cheese and 2 massive jubilee cupcakes! Fed my two children for a couple of nights and a lunch for me.
Am tempted to try one from our local garage but probably more hit and miss as it's a Budgens and sells everything!

Please
or

peanutpancakess · 25/06/2022 19:52

GalactatingGoddess · 25/06/2022 11:58

I'm collecting a Veggie Carvery one tonight! First time ever.

I've got the veggie carvery on a few occasions, be warned its delicious and enough for 5 hungry men Grin

Please
or

chiffchaffchiff · 25/06/2022 19:53

Do it! My friend told me about the app after getting a bag from a family owned Italian bakery. She's gone there a few times now and they told her that they hate throwing out food but can't sell it the day after. They have lots of pizzas and fresh bread which freeze well but they have to sell everything baked on the day. The local foodbank won't take fresh food so it was the app was the next best solution.

Please
or

inappropriateraspberry · 25/06/2022 23:34

I wish I lived nearer proper delis and bakeries. I'm out in the sticks ☹️

Please
or

BlackForestCake · 26/06/2022 12:55

I wonder if they break even or make a small profit on the bags

It's not about breaking even, it's about minimising loss. Selling a few bags at £4 is better than throwing the stuff away and making nothing.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.