Please
or
to access all these features

Conflict in the Middle East

To think it’s turning into genocide in real time part 2

751 replies

Everythingnotsavedwillbelost73 · 22/10/2023 08:43

First thread here but it’s full
https://www.mumsnet.com/talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/4918938-to-think-its-turning-into-genocide-in-real-time?page=1

Medical Aid to Palestine posted this thread on facebook describing the scenes in Gaza as being like the last days of humanity with one of their staff members having to search through piles of bodies to find his 13 year old niece https://www.facebook.com/100064712829372/posts/pfbid028yxpzimtA3apA6CSs8dEhJBd16rYUQR6QjFidEpwRCZzPVYoeJezX8nDrtZP2UZRl/?app=fbl

The main stream press aren’t really addressing the horror of what is happening (bar maybe Channel 4 news and Al Jazeera) - it’s a sanitised version.

As I said in the original thread, there has been absolute horror on both sides but the Israeli government are inflicting collective punishment on the people of Gaza, which is a war crime under international law.

I still feel we are watching genocide in real time.

To think it’s turning into genocide in real time | Mumsnet

Just seen this on the news- how can this be right? It genuinely is starting to feel like genocide. What Hamas did was beyond appalling. But this i...

https://www.mumsnet.com/talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/4918938-to-think-its-turning-into-genocide-in-real-time?page=1

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

177 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
31%
You are NOT being unreasonable
69%
Iwasafool · 26/10/2023 23:27

For those defending blowing up hospitals and the people in them or starving children are you prepared to do it? Have you got the guts to do what you deem is right, stand there and watch a child dying of thirst and hunger and do nothing or what the incubator failing as there is no electricity.

If you couldn't do it maybe ask yourself why.

bness · 26/10/2023 23:27

Stylestuck · 26/10/2023 23:22

I apologise - I worded that poorly. I am fully aware that since the term genocide was coined in the 1940s there have been 15-20 recorded genocides since. I should not have said “some of the only true victims” because this implies that there have been fewer than this. I of course do not believe that this is the case. I posted that in haste and I apologise again for any offence caused.

Thank you for clarifying - its gracious of you, and rarely seen in heated discussions like this.

Iwasafool · 26/10/2023 23:31

bness · 26/10/2023 21:33

I keep thinking of all those newscasters who expressed shock during the Ukraine conflict that they were "blond, blue eyed, just like us" who didn't deserve this, obv unlike those brown people who clearly did.

I don't think anyone would be talking about the merits of bombing blond people under any circumstances.

I saw an Israeli soldier being interviewed, he literally said the West should be siding with Israel as "we are like you."

Coughingdodger · 26/10/2023 23:32

A land-grab is what’s going on. As well as mass murder of children.

bness · 26/10/2023 23:33

Coughingdodger · 26/10/2023 23:32

A land-grab is what’s going on. As well as mass murder of children.

They are already brainstorming real estate ideas

Fortheloveofwatermelon · 26/10/2023 23:34

OP in MSM it's like Palestine doesn't exist and nothing happening there but still all about the 7th of Oct in Israel. Completely gaslighting 8th, 9th, 10th...26th of Oct in Palestine.

Stylestuck · 26/10/2023 23:34

bness · 26/10/2023 23:27

Thank you for clarifying - its gracious of you, and rarely seen in heated discussions like this.

Well, it was wrong. I winced when I read it back. I hold my hands up, I am Jewish and was on the receiving end of some really nasty comments earlier today. I posted in anger and didn’t think it through. I appreciate you calling me out.

Ktime · 26/10/2023 23:36

I saw an Israeli soldier being interviewed, he literally said the West should be siding with Israel as "we are like you."

This is what Israel shows on their propaganda adverts on YouTube as well.

Modern, Western Israelis versus Arab looking Muslims.

Radyward · 26/10/2023 23:36

Palestinian children arent terrorists and its not ok to bomb them to obliteration in order to grab more land for yourselves

Fortheloveofwatermelon · 26/10/2023 23:38

Iwasafool · 26/10/2023 23:27

For those defending blowing up hospitals and the people in them or starving children are you prepared to do it? Have you got the guts to do what you deem is right, stand there and watch a child dying of thirst and hunger and do nothing or what the incubator failing as there is no electricity.

If you couldn't do it maybe ask yourself why.

It baffles me how people support collective punishment in this day and age

Ktime · 26/10/2023 23:40

Fortheloveofwatermelon · 26/10/2023 23:38

It baffles me how people support collective punishment in this day and age

Many people will support anything if it’s against Muslims.

Fairtobefairohhhhhc · 26/10/2023 23:41

Thank you everyone defending the innocent civilians and showing up! It's been an awful time. I have had nightmares over the videos over seen of Palestinian children. But equally it has to be shown as the media are ignoring it. It takes seconds to find photos of innocent children.dead. their names written on their arms and legs incase they are killed. But you can't find any israeli photos on their side....

Radyward · 26/10/2023 23:43

The longer the obliteration of gaza goes on the less support for israel internationally. Thats the risk they are running.why not attack the leaders of hammas hiding in qatar,? Wht go at gaza hellbent and the head honchos of Hammas known to be elsewhere- explain israelis - why bomb places they arent even in .?

ADpackage · 26/10/2023 23:44

Anyone who wants to speak out against the genocide against an already vulnerable and oppressed population, please join us this Saturday! 12pm at Victoria embankment.

I went to the March last sat, and despite the reports, I heard not one word of jihad or any aggression or violence. There were people there with their children, wanting to make a stand in solidarity for the people of palestine.

Anyone who states this is anti-semitism can take their gas-lighting elsewhere, this is all about the people of Palestine and calling for a ceasefire. There will be plenty of Jewish people at the march also showing their support ❤️

Fairtobefairohhhhhc · 26/10/2023 23:45

Amazing @ADpackage !!! I hope it goes well. I wish I could join

DrinkingMyWaterMindingMyBiz · 26/10/2023 23:50

Stylestuck · 26/10/2023 23:34

Well, it was wrong. I winced when I read it back. I hold my hands up, I am Jewish and was on the receiving end of some really nasty comments earlier today. I posted in anger and didn’t think it through. I appreciate you calling me out.

This is very honest. Thanks for clarifying.

DrinkingMyWaterMindingMyBiz · 26/10/2023 23:52

Absolutely sickening. But the worst part is that those in charge of powerful nations in the west clearly agree.

Fairtobefairohhhhhc · 26/10/2023 23:57

I will be honest as well. I am muslim and had a strange thing happen today. Has put me on edge and stirred many feelings.

I wear hijab , only important for what I'm saying as it means I'm visually muslim.

I was at our local shop earlier. And I may just be on edge but there where 2 youngish men behind me. They where whispering and giggling and then loudly said I really don't like houmous. Do you? I might be being paranoid! I did turn around and they did that awkward look around. I waited til they left to go to my back gate as I live next to the shop

If I was 100% sure it was on purpose and was supposed to be something I would have challenged them. But I wasn't 100% sure and didn't want to make a tit of myself

And this is something very minor. But it was late. Its dark and I live next to the shop. It was enough to make me worry anyway.

And to be fair I am on high alert as I saw a video of a man throwing a slab of concrete at a woman woth hijab head yesterday as she was just standing on the path.

I'm sure other Muslims and also other Jews have the same worries right now

Ktime · 27/10/2023 00:10

I will be honest as well. I am muslim and had a strange thing happen today. Has put me on edge and stirred many feelings.

I wear hijab , only important for what I'm saying as it means I'm visually muslim.

I was at our local shop earlier. And I may just be on edge but there where 2 youngish men behind me. They where whispering and giggling and then loudly said I really don't like houmous. Do you? I might be being paranoid! I did turn around and they did that awkward look around. I waited til they left to go to my back gate as I live next to the shop

If I was 100% sure it was on purpose and was supposed to be something I would have challenged them. But I wasn't 100% sure and didn't want to make a tit of myself

And this is something very minor. But it was late. Its dark and I live next to the shop. It was enough to make me worry anyway.

And to be fair I am on high alert as I saw a video of a man throwing a slab of concrete at a woman woth hijab head yesterday as she was just standing on the path.

Edited

Sorry that happened to you. Flowers

I’m Muslim and don’t wear hijab but my nieces do. When I’m with them the rates of racist comments/looks/shoves go up considerably.

I’m quick to stand up for myself and others but sometimes I try to downplay incidents so that they don’t feel bad. But they’re smart girls and they know what’s happening to them.

Fairtobefairohhhhhc · 27/10/2023 00:21

@Ktime I'm sorry to hear that. I don't normally have a problem. I'm a convert and as white as they come. So I'm surprised I've not had more incidents or maybe I haven't noticed. Or I could just be really paranoid today and it was nothing!

BackAgainstWall · 27/10/2023 00:28

In answer to your question- yes it is genocide, and the world is watching and doing nothing about it 😌

macrowave · 27/10/2023 00:28

Everythingnotsavedwillbelost73 · 26/10/2023 15:01

See Indy headline

Just to clarify, this image is from July 2006, and refers to the conflict between Israel and Hezbollah taking place at the time. Despite the low resolution, you can see the date if you look closely at the top right corner.

The Independent has been digital-only since 2016.

SadTimes96 · 27/10/2023 00:35

We are watching a genocide in real-time. It's shocking and I feel so helpless like most people.

I do not know what these poor people will do. They are being starved to death in front of us.

SinnerBoy · 27/10/2023 00:53

FactFairy · Yesterday 13:07

How many militaries in the world do a leaflet drop before they bomb anywhere? Send text messages, put out public announcements and make phone calls?

You are probably aware that the Red Cross has said that this doesn't give them the legal right to turn such areas into free fire zones and annihilate anyone remaining. They still have a duty, under the norms and conventions iof war, to discriminate between legitimate military targets and civilians.

As for the so called lies about the casualty figures, are you seriously claiming that thousands haven't been killed and wounded? Why would you claim that only Hamas are giving figures?

Are you so I'll informed that you don't know that there are international reporters, doctors, the UN and the Red Cross, who are broadly confirming the figures?

Fortheloveofwatermelon · 27/10/2023 01:05

Edited

I'm so sorry that happened to you. Whilst Ive always found living in UK as a visible Muslim myself a safe and happy experience, many people won't understand how incidents as small as these can linger with us for days and weeks. Worry us all hours of the day 😔

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.