Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

No idea where this should go but ....

176 replies

capabilityfrowns · 22/01/2024 22:37

Aibu to think Chris Packham is just the most lovely human being , he's had laws enforced on killing birds for no reason , he's open about his Aspergers, he's a force for good in respect of all nature and I absolutely think he's fabulous. He's taken high court action against libel and won , he's just a lovely soul , a force for good in a world that cares very little for nature . I think he might be my hero . The dinner party guest is want to chat to .
I loved his earth series . It was exceptional.
And .....lastly
Animal experimentation is never going to work because they aren't human . I say this as a chronically ill person.

I love his passion in protecting animals from human harm while allowing them to be animals , predation , I love
Watching him on winter watch and spring watch and I genuinely think he deserves some recognition for his work .

He just seems to be an all round top
Bloke . Good on him .

No idea where this should go but ....
OP posts:
Notamum12345577 · 22/01/2024 22:41

He has made it extremely hard for farmers to protect their crops with his anti bird shooting lobbying

capabilityfrowns · 22/01/2024 22:48

He is advocating the law . It is illegal to shoot birds .

So are we saying gamekeepers can just kill birds of prey with impunity because they don't like them eating their quarry that people pay to
Shoot and kill anyway ?

OP posts:
capabilityfrowns · 22/01/2024 22:49

He has made it extremely hard for farmers to protect their crops with his anti bird shooting lobbying

I'm very glad .

They could cover their crops . They don't have to kill wildlife . Agricultural land is baron of wildlife.

OP posts:
XenoBitch · 22/01/2024 22:50

I always found him a bit creepy tbh.

KarenNotAKaren · 22/01/2024 22:52

This.

Easy for someone whose livelihood - which in many cases is already hanging by a thread - isn’t deeply affected to suddenly GAF when it doesn’t affect him.

Lesina · 22/01/2024 22:52

He is a champion of wildlife. Against animal cruelty. He is a good man :)

LadyGaGasPokerFace · 22/01/2024 22:53

Cover the crops? 🤦🏼‍♀️

capabilityfrowns · 22/01/2024 22:54

XenoBitch · 22/01/2024 22:50

I always found him a bit creepy tbh.

Why ? He is not "normal " to most because he has Aspergers and yet he has successfully sired those who accused him of wrongdoing or "creepy" behaviour. He completely aced them in court . There is absolutely nothing to substantiate any claims against him . He makes enemies because he puts his head above the parapet.
My son has Aspergers. Very trusting. Very daft . Very very clever . People with differences are a target . Not always rightly so .

OP posts:
KarenNotAKaren · 22/01/2024 22:54

LadyGaGasPokerFace · 22/01/2024 22:53

Cover the crops? 🤦🏼‍♀️

🤣🤣 IKR!

Just nip down to Asda for cling film and cover the crops.

Fionaville · 22/01/2024 22:54

Me and DH had this conversation last night! He thinks he's a national treasure, approaching Attenborough status. I'm not convinced yet, but I do love his passion for wildlife.

capabilityfrowns · 22/01/2024 22:55

Yeah just nip for cling film .

Or maybe cultivate with netting over ? As many do ? The birds were there first I'd wager before the landowners.

OP posts:
capabilityfrowns · 22/01/2024 22:56

Fionaville · 22/01/2024 22:54

Me and DH had this conversation last night! He thinks he's a national treasure, approaching Attenborough status. I'm not convinced yet, but I do love his passion for wildlife.

I actually respect him more than Attenborough because he puts himself in the firing line . Court cases . I think he lives what he believes and I really respect that .

OP posts:
capabilityfrowns · 22/01/2024 22:57

Can you explain to me why it's ok to shoot birds please ?

OP posts:
KarenNotAKaren · 22/01/2024 22:57

I find it a bit hypocritical that a so called animal lover is in a relationship with a zoo owner

capabilityfrowns · 22/01/2024 23:00

It's an animals sanctuary not a zoo . How typical.

OP posts:
capabilityfrowns · 22/01/2024 23:03

Maybe called a zoo but we need conservation projects . I just feel a bit sad this is the take on him . He seems like such a pure soul.

OP posts:
DidntReallyMeanIt · 22/01/2024 23:04

Yeah he seems like an OK bloke, very passionate about his job.

It looks like you've started this thread to have a go at anyone who disagrees with your gushing over him though 😁

m00ngirl · 22/01/2024 23:04

@capabilityfrowns yes I agree! He's a lovely man and a force for good.

Bigteamug · 22/01/2024 23:04

Just so long as you know he wouldn't turn up to any dinner party? 😄 He hates that type of thing. He might accept an invitation to go badger watching with you though.

WomanFromTheNorth · 22/01/2024 23:08

I really like him. A pure soul in a shit world.

capabilityfrowns · 22/01/2024 23:09

DidntReallyMeanIt · 22/01/2024 23:04

Yeah he seems like an OK bloke, very passionate about his job.

It looks like you've started this thread to have a go at anyone who disagrees with your gushing over him though 😁

No ! Just so far had someone say he's creepy and stops farmers shooting birds . 😂.

Good for him in my opinion! And the creepy accusations have been sorted in a cost of law with libel
Payouts . I think it was that some who is openly neurodivergent is a target when his own step daughter clearly adores him . Lowest common denominator though isn't it ? Different =creepy . How sad .

OP posts:
capabilityfrowns · 22/01/2024 23:10

Bigteamug · 22/01/2024 23:04

Just so long as you know he wouldn't turn up to any dinner party? 😄 He hates that type of thing. He might accept an invitation to go badger watching with you though.

Yeah I'm fine with that . My boy had his condition . I get it .

OP posts:
capabilityfrowns · 22/01/2024 23:12

I went badger watching with my ex .....hiskother has a badger set in her extensive garden . I loved it . Has 8 baby badgers running around right in front of me and it was absolutely beautiful. So I'm up for badger watching with Chris Packham .

OP posts:
XenoBitch · 22/01/2024 23:44

capabilityfrowns · 22/01/2024 22:54

Why ? He is not "normal " to most because he has Aspergers and yet he has successfully sired those who accused him of wrongdoing or "creepy" behaviour. He completely aced them in court . There is absolutely nothing to substantiate any claims against him . He makes enemies because he puts his head above the parapet.
My son has Aspergers. Very trusting. Very daft . Very very clever . People with differences are a target . Not always rightly so .

I know him from his early days in the The really Wild Show. As a kid, he made me uncomfortable.

My DP has Asperger's and does not like him at all. Says he is fed up with his whining.

Grimchmas · 22/01/2024 23:53

capabilityfrowns · 22/01/2024 22:55

Yeah just nip for cling film .

Or maybe cultivate with netting over ? As many do ? The birds were there first I'd wager before the landowners.

My darling lovely soul, would I be right in thinking you're not really very familiar with farming and the countryside?

Netting is a disaster for birds, they get caught up in it and suffer horribly. It's also a disaster for almost all other wildlife, from the insects who need to reach the crop to pollinate it to the deer, foxes, badgers and rabbits that there are an awful lot of on farms, I promise. It's also hell of a lot of plastic (that will break up) to throw around the countryside.

If it were an effective solution, it would already be being used. As it is on certain crops, like fruit bushes. With devastating impact on the local bird population.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.