Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

No idea where this should go but ....

176 replies

capabilityfrowns · 22/01/2024 22:37

Aibu to think Chris Packham is just the most lovely human being , he's had laws enforced on killing birds for no reason , he's open about his Aspergers, he's a force for good in respect of all nature and I absolutely think he's fabulous. He's taken high court action against libel and won , he's just a lovely soul , a force for good in a world that cares very little for nature . I think he might be my hero . The dinner party guest is want to chat to .
I loved his earth series . It was exceptional.
And .....lastly
Animal experimentation is never going to work because they aren't human . I say this as a chronically ill person.

I love his passion in protecting animals from human harm while allowing them to be animals , predation , I love
Watching him on winter watch and spring watch and I genuinely think he deserves some recognition for his work .

He just seems to be an all round top
Bloke . Good on him .

OP posts:
IncompleteSenten · 23/01/2024 19:06

You didn't say you were a lawyer but you did say you work in law and other terms that are used when talking about lawyers rather than police officers.

"My line of work is criminal law" you said on this thread. That to anyone would suggest lawyer rather than police officer.

Perhaps that caused the confusion. Anyway, it's easy sorted. You are a police officer not a lawyer. Both good professions dealing with the legal system.

FloofCloud · 23/01/2024 19:10

@IncompleteSenten - great name lol ... she could be a secretary, cleaner, judge or CFO ... I'm going with something a bit less professional

Tarmacadamia · 23/01/2024 19:48

The suspension of the general licence was devastating for vulnerable bird species like curlews, as corvid populations soared during that time, pushing curlews that little bit closer to extinction. It's not as simple as "don't shoot the poor birds". Chris Packham really fucked up there, whether through arrogance or naivety or both.

AuntySueDoesntGiveAShit · 23/01/2024 19:59

capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 00:45

Aww the poor farmers .

I hope you grow all your own food if you have such disdain for farmers.

MindHowYouGoes · 23/01/2024 20:14

capabilityfrowns · 22/01/2024 23:12

I went badger watching with my ex .....hiskother has a badger set in her extensive garden . I loved it . Has 8 baby badgers running around right in front of me and it was absolutely beautiful. So I'm up for badger watching with Chris Packham .

badgers don’t have litters of 8, they usually have 2 or 3, maybe up to 5 but that’s rare.

also crows and other corvids attack lambs and peck out their eyes. Farmers should be allowed to shoot them. They also take baby chicks.

if you don’t know anything about the issues or any facts about the countryside why not just dive straight in with the hero worship instead of doing a bit of research

capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 20:33

It's a large badger set in my exes mother's woodland and ancient - with many badgers . There were 8 of them .

I might not be able to spell but can still count .

OP posts:
TedLassoIsMySpiritAnimal · 23/01/2024 20:38

capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 01:23

It appears not to be tested on animals . Yay for me ! If it comes to it !

What an absolutely batshit thread. You don’t eat food (what do you eat? Grass?), you aren’t refusing meds except for when you are, you don’t think that the drugs with which they euthanise people have been tested on animals (newsflash: they have, all medicines designed for human use have to - by law - be studied at preclinical level (animal testing) before clinical trials can even take place, let alone making it to market). You’re a Police Officer yet you think that farmers shooting pests is somehow equal to the Police shooting criminals.

And if you’re going to refuse all meds when you eventually get a diagnosis, what’s the point of getting a diagnosis in the first place?

Jellykat · 23/01/2024 20:44

Not quite sure how a thread about CP has turned into personally attacking the OP Hmm
.. but i really like him.. speaking out as much as he does, and refusing to be intimidated into shutting up, takes balls, fair bloody play to him!

Justcallmebebes · 23/01/2024 20:47

Notamum12345577 · 22/01/2024 22:41

He has made it extremely hard for farmers to protect their crops with his anti bird shooting lobbying

And that's a good thing, in my humble opinion

gardenfoundry · 23/01/2024 20:54

Can't wait to see supermarket shelves free from fresh produce.

Pebbles16 · 23/01/2024 20:56

XenoBitch · 22/01/2024 22:50

I always found him a bit creepy tbh.

Yep, he is NOT a nice man... Absolutely my #metoo perpetrator some years ago

lmhj1 · 23/01/2024 20:57

I'm a great believer in walk a mile in another's shoes.

I suspect if OP, and many others, were able and allowed to spend six months in a rural tenant farm the views would adjust.

I think the talk of farmers and farm workers is long gone days.

I don't know many farmers who own their farm who exclusively farm. You only have to watch clarksons farm to see that.

I suspect the experience could go both ways, farmer spend six months with you and find out what exactly has enraged you so much and why the whatever issues are so important and impactful to you.

Jellykat · 23/01/2024 20:59

gardenfoundry · 23/01/2024 20:54

Can't wait to see supermarket shelves free from fresh produce.

Um, we import at least half of our fresh produce

capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 21:00

Yea let's use that millionaire misogynist, violent man Clarkson as a great example of farming life 👍.

I think you might have just proved my point !

OP posts:
capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 21:04

My friend runs a hedgehog rescue ! Yeah I do love Brian may . Ive another friend who runs a wild animal rescue. I've just shared a post about hibernating hoggies on social media!

OP posts:
Jellykat · 23/01/2024 21:07

I bloody love Brian May, he really helped us with stopping the Badger cull in my county (as did Jerome Flynn)

TedLassoIsMySpiritAnimal · 23/01/2024 21:12

Jellykat · 23/01/2024 20:44

Not quite sure how a thread about CP has turned into personally attacking the OP Hmm
.. but i really like him.. speaking out as much as he does, and refusing to be intimidated into shutting up, takes balls, fair bloody play to him!

Questioning contradictory statements and correcting ignorance is not a personal attack.

Jifmicroliquid · 23/01/2024 21:14

We have over 30 acres of land on our farm that is used for crops. We can’t cover the crops, it’s impossible, plus it would be a danger to other wildlife. Unfortunately birds, especially pigeons, do a huge amount of damage so they do have to be shot. Gas gun bird scarers don’t do much.
Thousands of pounds of crop are damaged each year, even with shooting, so you can imagine how bad it would be without controlling the bird population. I don’t like it, but it’s a fact of farming life. You want to continue to eat? Then you rely on the farmers to provide wheat, corn, beans…

CymruChris · 23/01/2024 21:18

He's not popular at all in the farming community.
And its not just about crops. You ever seen a lamb pecked to death by crows, or a ewe with her eyes pecked out?

lmhj1 · 23/01/2024 21:18

@capabilityfrowns read it again. I said I DO NOT know anyone who owns a farm and exclusively farms. Clarksons farm explains that for any non farmers. Gives a decent breakdown of the figures and shows a millionaire struggle to comprehend the challenges.

I said spend time with a tenant farmer and walk in their shoes. Then come back.

capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 21:19

My nephew was a falconer - large colonies employed him to fly his birds of prey to scare away the birds like pidgins (sic) and gulls .

Why can't farmers do the same ?

OP posts:

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 21:19

Companies * not
Colonies

OP posts:
capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 21:20

lmhj1 · 23/01/2024 21:18

@capabilityfrowns read it again. I said I DO NOT know anyone who owns a farm and exclusively farms. Clarksons farm explains that for any non farmers. Gives a decent breakdown of the figures and shows a millionaire struggle to comprehend the challenges.

I said spend time with a tenant farmer and walk in their shoes. Then come back.

Awww poor Clarkson . I'm sad for him .

OP posts:
capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 21:22

Doesnt Clarkson also
Advocate chasing small wild animals with packs of dogs and horses ?

He's a twat.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.