Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

No idea where this should go but ....

176 replies

capabilityfrowns · 22/01/2024 22:37

Aibu to think Chris Packham is just the most lovely human being , he's had laws enforced on killing birds for no reason , he's open about his Aspergers, he's a force for good in respect of all nature and I absolutely think he's fabulous. He's taken high court action against libel and won , he's just a lovely soul , a force for good in a world that cares very little for nature . I think he might be my hero . The dinner party guest is want to chat to .
I loved his earth series . It was exceptional.
And .....lastly
Animal experimentation is never going to work because they aren't human . I say this as a chronically ill person.

I love his passion in protecting animals from human harm while allowing them to be animals , predation , I love
Watching him on winter watch and spring watch and I genuinely think he deserves some recognition for his work .

He just seems to be an all round top
Bloke . Good on him .

OP posts:
capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 22:44

I hardly drive now due to the medical issues but I can hand in heart say - since I passed
My test at age 30 - I have only ever hit one bird that flew into the side of
My car . And I stopped . And found it .

I've never hit a squirrel, a hedgehog, a cat , a dog - as my mate says with the hog rescue -
If You can miss a pothole you can miss a hedgehog.

OP posts:
Hedgesfullofbirds · 23/01/2024 22:50

I know my subject OP, the biggest threat to hedgehog numbers is the number of vehicles on our roads, that is beyond doubt, but predation by badgers runs it a close second - the number of hedgehog skins I find, scooped clean by badgers, on an almost daily basis, is phenomenal. And your assertion that nature is capable of maintaining its own harmony is flawed and smacks of 'Lion lying down with lamb', a rose tinted view of a world which does not exist. The balance is skewed, by human beings it is true, because human activity has allowed opportunistic species like crows, magpies, foxes and squirrels to exponentially increase in numbers, (human detritus and food waste everywhere being easy pickings for them), and, therefore, some of these species need SOME degree of control or else other species will decline to such an extent that their survival becomes untenable.

And, yes, I am a naturalist and conservationist, with a lifetime of empiric, first hand experience and knowledge.

capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 22:55

I was terribly upset once when double crewed on a night shift responding to an emergency with my colleague at the wheel - he hit a deer.

I made him pull over and walked a mile with my torch until I found it . Sadly passed away in a ditch .

The car was fooked. But the deer didn't suffer . I've also gone to a deer hit my a car and stayed with it until it was euthanised.
I think that's human . We need to look after our wildlife. Not kill it because it's in our way . And I realise sadly that happens at times - but there's a difference in shooting crow's because they're eating your profit to a driver accidentally hitting something on a counter road at night .

OP posts:
capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 23:00

I took my pooche for a walk once down a little country lane that had rights of way over farmers fields .

Found loads of dead crows . Just left in a pile . Like that is going to stop more crows coming to eat ?
On a public path used by dog walkers with kids .

OP posts:
capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 23:01

Pooch * for the pedants

OP posts:
Hedgesfullofbirds · 23/01/2024 23:08

Of course we need to look after our wildlife OP, nobody but the most self absorbed and soul less person could argue with that. But, surely, even the most intransigent of self described 'animal lover' can see that, from time to time, predatory animals and birds, coming into conflict with other species, including humans, need a DEGREE of control

capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 23:13

See I genuinely don't get that . In eco systems left alone - everything balances . Wasn't there some study in reintroducing wolves somewhere and the results were an absolute win - they kept grazing animals down which meant the habitat restored after being grazed beyond what it could cope with ?

I believe if we weren't squashing hundreds of hedgehogs on the roads the numbers taken my badgers wouldn't impact . The biggest threat to badgers is roads and farming which kills their food supply - and that's us doing that - not badgers .

OP posts:
capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 23:14

Sorry the biggest threat to hedgehogs *

See my brain is malfunctioning!

OP posts:
capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 23:19

I just think he's a force for good

OP posts:
capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 23:23

And this - abhorrent

OP posts:
Hedgesfullofbirds · 23/01/2024 23:23

Nobody, ( least of all, me), is advocating wildlife crime, and there is, sadly, much of it, but lawful control of injurious species is a totally different kettle of fish and is sometimes neccessary.

VeterinaryCareAssistant · 23/01/2024 23:25

The wolves were reintroduced to Yellowstone in the US.

I love CP. He did a zoom call to my son's class not so long ago, because they have their own farm to produce some of the school menu. If he visits the school I'm definitely going to have to "coincidentally" drop in.

capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 23:27

Hedgesfullofbirds · 23/01/2024 23:23

Nobody, ( least of all, me), is advocating wildlife crime, and there is, sadly, much of it, but lawful control of injurious species is a totally different kettle of fish and is sometimes neccessary.

I do respect your opinion, but sadly so much of it isn't about controlling a species that detrimental to crops etc . It's about animal cruelty, arrogance and ignorance.

OP posts:
Hedgesfullofbirds · 23/01/2024 23:29

Yes, agreed, abhorent. Much as I am at odds with Packham over his, sometimes, erroneous and inflammatory views and comments, I could not, and would not, advocate, endorse or support those kind of behaviours or actions against him

capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 23:31

VeterinaryCareAssistant · 23/01/2024 23:25

The wolves were reintroduced to Yellowstone in the US.

I love CP. He did a zoom call to my son's class not so long ago, because they have their own farm to produce some of the school menu. If he visits the school I'm definitely going to have to "coincidentally" drop in.

That's so lovely !

I really think he's a lovely fella . Yeah not "normal" but then nor am I and I seem to relate and attract people who are neurodiverse if that's the correct terminology these days ! I never know . I get on far better with people who aren't neurotypical. Maybe that means I aren't but no point in finding out now ! I'm 52 in a few weeks 🤣.

I just like the man.

OP posts:
capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 23:32

Hedgesfullofbirds · 23/01/2024 23:29

Yes, agreed, abhorent. Much as I am at odds with Packham over his, sometimes, erroneous and inflammatory views and comments, I could not, and would not, advocate, endorse or support those kind of behaviours or actions against him

That's good to know and restores my faith in people who may not agree with me - or him .

OP posts:
GettingStuffed · 23/01/2024 23:35

My son did a degree related to Chris Peckham's area of expertise. He came to give a talk to them and DS was in Costa Rica at the time and he was gutted to miss him. When he got back he asked a couple of his friends what he said and what it was like and the answer was nothing we didn't know and up his own arse.

Unportula · 23/01/2024 23:41

This thread is bizarre.

What happened to the emergency while you were out deerstalking?

capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 23:41

GettingStuffed · 23/01/2024 23:35

My son did a degree related to Chris Peckham's area of expertise. He came to give a talk to them and DS was in Costa Rica at the time and he was gutted to miss him. When he got back he asked a couple of his friends what he said and what it was like and the answer was nothing we didn't know and up his own arse.

Well as long as a couple of your son's friends said it it must be true .

OP posts:
capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 23:41

Unportula · 23/01/2024 23:41

This thread is bizarre.

What happened to the emergency while you were out deerstalking?

It was a nothing job and there were several other units going . We weren't missed .

OP posts:
capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 23:42

Most emergency response jobs are really not emergency response jobs. Lesson one when you join the police .

OP posts:
capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 23:44

I had a terrible crash responding to an emergency break in

Turned out it was 15 year old kids trying to nick copper from a derelict house .

I wrote a car off and did myself quite damage .

OP posts:

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Unportula · 23/01/2024 23:44

Is lesson two knowing in advance which ones are genuine emergencies so that you can plan when it's ok to go wandering around looking at dead deer?

capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 23:46

Unportula · 23/01/2024 23:44

Is lesson two knowing in advance which ones are genuine emergencies so that you can plan when it's ok to go wandering around looking at dead deer?

Yeah that's lesson two .

Obviously had we been the only unit responding I wouldn't have stopped the car and looked for the deer however the car was pretty much un drivable as it was

OP posts:
capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 23:46

Hitting a large deer at 90 does a bit of
Damage . Not just
To
The deer .

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.