Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

No idea where this should go but ....

176 replies

capabilityfrowns · 22/01/2024 22:37

Aibu to think Chris Packham is just the most lovely human being , he's had laws enforced on killing birds for no reason , he's open about his Aspergers, he's a force for good in respect of all nature and I absolutely think he's fabulous. He's taken high court action against libel and won , he's just a lovely soul , a force for good in a world that cares very little for nature . I think he might be my hero . The dinner party guest is want to chat to .
I loved his earth series . It was exceptional.
And .....lastly
Animal experimentation is never going to work because they aren't human . I say this as a chronically ill person.

I love his passion in protecting animals from human harm while allowing them to be animals , predation , I love
Watching him on winter watch and spring watch and I genuinely think he deserves some recognition for his work .

He just seems to be an all round top
Bloke . Good on him .

OP posts:
lmhj1 · 23/01/2024 21:22

I'm not, but I'm sad for misguided people who refuse to consider that experience may lead them to a different conclusion.

Rather than a celebrity based fictional one.

lmhj1 · 23/01/2024 21:23

Take a some time on a rural farm helping. Do a lambing. Help at a harvest. Educate yourself first hand.

capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 21:24

lmhj1 · 23/01/2024 21:22

I'm not, but I'm sad for misguided people who refuse to consider that experience may lead them to a different conclusion.

Rather than a celebrity based fictional one.

And I'm sad for anyone who thinks so arrogantly that they think it's their god given right to kill
Animals and birds with impunity because it interferes with their profits .

Horses for courses .

OP posts:

lmhj1 · 23/01/2024 21:23

Take a some time on a rural farm helping. Do a lambing. Help at a harvest. Educate yourself first hand.

No ta . I'm not into delivering lambs that are destined for slaughter .

OP posts:
lmhj1 · 23/01/2024 21:25

But you see I never said that. You did.

Fact versus fiction.

Go do it.

capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 21:25

lmhj1 · 23/01/2024 21:25

But you see I never said that. You did.

Fact versus fiction.

Go do it.

No ta .

OP posts:
capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 21:30

Isn't it funny how people say you can't have an opinion on something you have no direct experience of.

And yet in my job I'm subject everyday to the opinions of people who have no direct experience.

Ironic .
I just said I like Chris Packham 😂

OP posts:
AuntySueDoesntGiveAShit · 23/01/2024 21:32

capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 21:04

My friend runs a hedgehog rescue ! Yeah I do love Brian may . Ive another friend who runs a wild animal rescue. I've just shared a post about hibernating hoggies on social media!

Was it the one that's doing the rounds about not burying a hedgehog if you find one that looks dead?

Notamum12345577 · 23/01/2024 21:52

Justcallmebebes · 23/01/2024 20:47

And that's a good thing, in my humble opinion

So you want there to be food shortages, and then pay very high prices for what food there is?

Notamum12345577 · 23/01/2024 21:58

CymruChris · 23/01/2024 21:18

He's not popular at all in the farming community.
And its not just about crops. You ever seen a lamb pecked to death by crows, or a ewe with her eyes pecked out?

Good point, I forgot to mention the pecked eyes initially. It is a horrible sight isn’t it

capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 22:14
OP posts:
capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 22:16

Only half the food on uk plates is homegrown in the uk and the biggest threat to farming isn't crows , or pigeons- it's climate change .

Have a read . It's eye opening .

OP posts:
MindHowYouGoes · 23/01/2024 22:19

Where did anyone say the biggest threat to farming is crows and pigeons?

resorting to making stuff up doesn’t help with people taking you seriously

Hedgesfullofbirds · 23/01/2024 22:20

Oh the irony! Brian May being an advocate for both badgers and hedgehogs! What May, Packham et al know, but refuse to acknowledge, since it does not suit their agenda, is that the massive decline in the hedgehog population is in direct correlation to the exponential rise in badger numbers. Why? Because there is nothing a badger enjoys more as an amuseè bouche than a hedgehog, before feasting on ground nesting birds, their eggs or young. Hedgehogs, being slow moving, do not stand a chance against a badger any more than skylarks, curlews, partridge, plovers or any other ground nesting birds, all of which are in serious decline.

Conservation, ( contrary to the belief of 'animal lovers' AKA animal sentimentalists), does NOT mean the preservation of everything at all costs, but, rather, a pragmatic approach, the judicious control, (note: control, not extermination), of some species, in order to allow others to survive. Hence the need to control magpies, crows and other corvids, squirrels too, all of them growing in numbers, all of them notorious raiders of the nests of small birds which, conversely, are in decline. Likewise mink require controlling so that water voles have, at least, a fighting chance of surviving extinction in the UK.

Packham is not a conservationist, he is, and never will be, in the same league as Attenborough, he lacks the pragmatism and vision to see a wider and more holistic picture, driven by his arrogance and own private agenda.

capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 22:21

MindHowYouGoes · 23/01/2024 22:19

Where did anyone say the biggest threat to farming is crows and pigeons?

resorting to making stuff up doesn’t help with people taking you seriously

I hardly think the governments own figures is "making stuff up" 😂.

OP posts:
capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 22:26

Hedgesfullofbirds · 23/01/2024 22:20

Oh the irony! Brian May being an advocate for both badgers and hedgehogs! What May, Packham et al know, but refuse to acknowledge, since it does not suit their agenda, is that the massive decline in the hedgehog population is in direct correlation to the exponential rise in badger numbers. Why? Because there is nothing a badger enjoys more as an amuseè bouche than a hedgehog, before feasting on ground nesting birds, their eggs or young. Hedgehogs, being slow moving, do not stand a chance against a badger any more than skylarks, curlews, partridge, plovers or any other ground nesting birds, all of which are in serious decline.

Conservation, ( contrary to the belief of 'animal lovers' AKA animal sentimentalists), does NOT mean the preservation of everything at all costs, but, rather, a pragmatic approach, the judicious control, (note: control, not extermination), of some species, in order to allow others to survive. Hence the need to control magpies, crows and other corvids, squirrels too, all of them growing in numbers, all of them notorious raiders of the nests of small birds which, conversely, are in decline. Likewise mink require controlling so that water voles have, at least, a fighting chance of surviving extinction in the UK.

Packham is not a conservationist, he is, and never will be, in the same league as Attenborough, he lacks the pragmatism and vision to see a wider and more holistic picture, driven by his arrogance and own private agenda.

How funny you speak of arrogance .

What do you think controlled all populations of predator and prey before man got involved in deciding what lives and what dies ?

The only arrogance displayed here is yours in assuming superiority over nature . It's quite capable of maintaining its own harmonious eco systems .

OP posts:
capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 22:28

How many hedgehogs die on roads so you think ?

Or through people taking their habitat?

OP posts:
QuarterPastThree · 23/01/2024 22:28

Hildebrandthehog · 23/01/2024 09:59

I don’t care for CP or his views or the way he interacts with his female co-presenters.

And some posters on here don’t seem to understand what farmers are up against.

Oh, what - Chris 'I think giant pandas should be allowed to die out' Packham?

No, I don't like him all that much, either.

capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 22:29

Maybe try and expand your mind

OP posts:
XenoBitch · 23/01/2024 22:33

capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 22:28

How many hedgehogs die on roads so you think ?

Or through people taking their habitat?

I have not seen a flat hedgehog in years.
I used to get a lot of them visit in my garden. I can't remember the last time I saw one actually. There is a website where you can log the hogs you see (dead or alive). Their numbers are going down, for sure.

capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 22:38

I see loads of squashed hogs

The reason their numbers are in decline are habitat loss and farming .

That's a fact . Not because of badgers ! My friend runs a hog rescue and was absolutely full to the rafters . She's just been diagnosed with cancer and has handed over the mantle . But there are several locall to me . If yku think roads don't have a part to play - they have no defence other than curling up - that's not a match for a car .

OP posts:
Notamum12345577 · 23/01/2024 22:39

And I'm sad for anyone who thinks so arrogantly that they think it's their god given right to kill
Animals and birds with impunity because it interferes with their profits .

Horses for courses .

I’m sure plenty of posters have pointed out to you it isn’t about profits? It is about supplying enough food for our population, without having to import even more, which would put costs up. And farmers don’t make big profits at all, it is about them just trying to survive.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 22:40

Read the government figures I posted if you want to believe that .

OP posts:
Notamum12345577 · 23/01/2024 22:42

capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 22:38

I see loads of squashed hogs

The reason their numbers are in decline are habitat loss and farming .

That's a fact . Not because of badgers ! My friend runs a hog rescue and was absolutely full to the rafters . She's just been diagnosed with cancer and has handed over the mantle . But there are several locall to me . If yku think roads don't have a part to play - they have no defence other than curling up - that's not a match for a car .

I assume you don’t drive then?

capabilityfrowns · 23/01/2024 22:42

What I don't get right is - if I'm not making money - as I didn't working part time as a dispensing optician - I decided to
Change career and got a better paying job .

No one holds a gun to anyone's head and says you must not branch out - you must remain in this low paying job and keep killing the wildlife ? Do they ?

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.