My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To the woman with the crazy dog at Holly Hill..

166 replies

Butterfly94 · 24/09/2022 14:43

There were signs everywhere telling you to keep your dog on a lead. Me and my daughters (3 and 1 year old) were trying to enjoy exploring the dens when your dog came pelting towards us and jumped in our faces. They were terrified, and we were cornered by him and all I could do was grab them close to me. My husband then had to get him away from us, as you didn't seem too bothered about controlling him. No apology, nothing except having a go at my husband for shouting at your dog. If you can't control your animal, don't have one, and definitely don't let them off the lead. I'm sick of having to fend off dogs from my kids who are scared of them and never want to have them in their face, 'friendly' or otherwise. Rant over!

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

332 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
36%
You are NOT being unreasonable
64%
Caroffee · 24/09/2022 14:50

Did the dog bark or try to bite your children or was the dog just exploring? If it's the latter, you sound horrible.

sparepantsandtoothbrush · 24/09/2022 14:52

What a strange place to post this. Maybe try your local fb page instead?!

Butterfly94 · 24/09/2022 14:54

It jumped up at my daughters, not sure what it was trying to do, but it was barking. I just needed an anonymous rant, I feel like this sort of thing happens all the time! I just want to enjoy going out without dogs scaring my children!

OP posts:
WhoWants2Know · 24/09/2022 14:54

It's very unlikely that the dog walker

a) reads Mumsnet, or

b) cares about your thoughts, even a little bit.

But if it makes you feel better to rant, crack on.

LynneBenfield · 24/09/2022 14:54
  1. Where the fk is “Holly Hill”?

2. Why didn’t you take it up with the woman at the time rather than posting on an anonymous, international message forum where it is unlikely to be seen by her?
Faithin · 24/09/2022 14:54

Did the dog bark or try to bite your children or was the dog just exploring? If it's the latter, you sound horrible.

No, people should control their dogs.
some people are ellergic to dogs, some are scared of them, some just don't want wanton dogs running up to them or their children.

NiceTwin · 24/09/2022 14:54

Did you mean to post this on MN?

I'd be surprised if anybody except a tiny percentage will have any idea where Holly Hill is!

Butterfly94 · 24/09/2022 14:57

I'm not expecting her to read this. I just need to rant about dog owners I guess! We did have a go at her, it seemed to just bounce off her. Like we should have been more bothered about her dog than our children.

OP posts:
Dailymash · 24/09/2022 15:00

Read the post, the dog jumped in their faces and cornered them. Hardly ‘just exploring’ 🙄And there’s signs saying to keep your dog on a lead. Although clearly some people can’t read.

HamiltonFan1 · 24/09/2022 15:01

YABU

Why the fuck do you think this woman would see this?

It's MN not your local FB page

basilmint · 24/09/2022 15:04

There were signs to say dogs should be on leads. Most people do not want other people's dogs jumping around them even if they don't bite. You sound like a typical entitled dog owner who thinks your precious mutt should be allowed to do what it pleases even if it's clearly stated it should be on a lead.

Riseabove · 24/09/2022 15:08

I never understand posts like these. Utterly pointless and rather cowardly. Next time, be brave enough to actually speak up at the time!!

StillSmallVoice · 24/09/2022 15:08

I don't think you are being unreasonable at all. If you can't control your dog don't let it off the lead. I say this as the owner of a greyhound which is never off lead, and sick of yappy little dogs rushing up to her barking away. If it's tiny children that's so much worse.

Hopeandlove · 24/09/2022 15:09

Can I also rant about screaming children running up to my working labs on a lead and shouting nice doggie and bashing them on the head. Works both ways.

photo and you local fb is the way to go

dogs must always be under control

Eyerollrsi · 24/09/2022 15:13

Dog owners should do their best to keep their dogs under control, although dogs do have a mind of their own.

On the other hand it's really sad that your children are probably scared because of your overreaction around dogs.

Butterfly94 · 24/09/2022 15:14

Definitely rant @Hopeandlove! My 3yo has been terrified of dogs since a large one ran up to her and pushed her over before I could pull him off her. The owner laughed and said an unconvincing sorry. As she was walking off she told him he had to stop doing that, it was the second time today. Kids and dogs don't mix!

OP posts:
Butterfly94 · 24/09/2022 15:17

@Eyerollrsi I'd rather she was scared of them to be honest. They're too unpredictable, with owners who think they're not.

OP posts:
vivainsomnia · 24/09/2022 15:17

She should have had the dog in the lead if that what is signed there. End of.

However, what does 'jump on our faces' mean?

A dog can jump upwards to express happiness or jump to someone, but not their face. If they jump at someone face, it usually means they will bite, which clearly that dog didn't.

Goldenbear · 24/09/2022 15:17

YANBU my 15 year old was scared of dogs f

Butterfly94 · 24/09/2022 15:18

@vivainsomnia I was sat on the ground with them. He jumped up in my face and I swerved and grabbed my daughters. He jumped up at 3yo and I pulled her face into my shoulder. DH then grabbed him off us.

OP posts:
girlmom21 · 24/09/2022 15:19

The dog jumped in all of your faces? How big was it?

Don't put your fears on to your children.

Why didn't you just tell the woman to put her dog on a lead at the time?

bellac11 · 24/09/2022 15:21

Whats Holly Hill and why dont I know about this?

Now everyone is going to want to know what this is

bellac11 · 24/09/2022 15:21

Butterfly94 · 24/09/2022 15:18

@vivainsomnia I was sat on the ground with them. He jumped up in my face and I swerved and grabbed my daughters. He jumped up at 3yo and I pulled her face into my shoulder. DH then grabbed him off us.

It certainly sounds very dramatic. Probably even more so if in slow motion or something

She should have a dog on a lead if instructed however

girlmom21 · 24/09/2022 15:22

I've just googled and there's one in Hampshire and one in Kent

girlmom21 · 24/09/2022 15:23

girlmom21 · 24/09/2022 15:22

I've just googled and there's one in Hampshire and one in Kent

It's the Hampshire one - Fareham.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.