My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To the woman with the crazy dog at Holly Hill..

166 replies

Butterfly94 · 24/09/2022 14:43

There were signs everywhere telling you to keep your dog on a lead. Me and my daughters (3 and 1 year old) were trying to enjoy exploring the dens when your dog came pelting towards us and jumped in our faces. They were terrified, and we were cornered by him and all I could do was grab them close to me. My husband then had to get him away from us, as you didn't seem too bothered about controlling him. No apology, nothing except having a go at my husband for shouting at your dog. If you can't control your animal, don't have one, and definitely don't let them off the lead. I'm sick of having to fend off dogs from my kids who are scared of them and never want to have them in their face, 'friendly' or otherwise. Rant over!

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

332 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
36%
You are NOT being unreasonable
64%
NCFT0922 · 24/09/2022 16:22

What in gods name are you hoping to achieve by posting this?

Butterfly94 · 24/09/2022 16:23

Huge, yes @happygertie. Unfortunately though, there seems to be lots of dog owners just like her who could do with this rant as well!

OP posts:
Sailorchick14 · 24/09/2022 16:23

Is that Holly Hill, Sarisbury Green? If so most dog owners are pretty good in there. Dogs are meant to be on leads so should be under control.

I get your point though, I'm not great with dogs and my youngest is very scared of them. Gets really annoying when your child is screaming at an out of control dog and all the owner can say is oh they're friendly. I don't know that and even the calmest dog may get freaked out by a screaming child

girlmom21 · 24/09/2022 16:25

If DH saw it running at you immediately how did it have the opportunity to be jumping up and barking for so long?

BoredatHome321 · 24/09/2022 16:26

We were due a 'we hate all dog owners' thread...

TwinkleChristmas · 24/09/2022 16:28

What an odd post.

ThighMistress · 24/09/2022 16:28

I live locally, and I hope you weren’t the idiot who screamed and shouted when my dog trotted past a woman and dcs in the middle of the woods (no lead required). He was recalled straight away, and was ignoring them anyway, but this woman was yelling and dancing and squawking. If you hate the very sight of a dog then I might suggest a NT property where dogs, if allowed, must be on short leads.

I dislike unruly dogs as much as anyone, but screaming when a dog passes you is nutty. Actually I even had a woman recently come at me with her car keys as dog (on lead) and I walked past on the other side of the road She was hollering about dogs spoil her “mental health”. After that encounter it was my mental health that was upset…

Sailorchick14 · 24/09/2022 16:28

Nothing against responsible dog owners. If you own a dog you should be in control of it and use a lead if it doesn't have good recall.

bellac11 · 24/09/2022 16:29

ThighMistress · 24/09/2022 16:28

I live locally, and I hope you weren’t the idiot who screamed and shouted when my dog trotted past a woman and dcs in the middle of the woods (no lead required). He was recalled straight away, and was ignoring them anyway, but this woman was yelling and dancing and squawking. If you hate the very sight of a dog then I might suggest a NT property where dogs, if allowed, must be on short leads.

I dislike unruly dogs as much as anyone, but screaming when a dog passes you is nutty. Actually I even had a woman recently come at me with her car keys as dog (on lead) and I walked past on the other side of the road She was hollering about dogs spoil her “mental health”. After that encounter it was my mental health that was upset…

Oh..... it is you 'woman with crazy dog'?

You need to change your user name

Yes OP said something about dens, did she mean woods?

Bretonbear · 24/09/2022 16:31

There seems to be only one crazy woman here and it's not the woman with the dog.

BoredatHome321 · 24/09/2022 16:32

@Sailorchick14 I agree. OP clearly states she wants a rant about dog owners though.

TwinkleChristmas · 24/09/2022 16:33

bellac11 · 24/09/2022 16:29

If this is how it happened then it’s the OP that sounds like a nut job.

ThighMistress · 24/09/2022 16:35

No, not me - haven’t been there for yonks, and if dogs should be on a lead, my dog is on a lead.

However, recently I have come across several absolutely hysterical dog haters. Frankly if you hate a golden retriever puppy then you must really hate dogs…

EbbyEbs · 24/09/2022 16:35

Well - I’d like to say to the woman walking the two golden retrievers this morning:

Wow, how beautiful are you dogs! And they looked so happy. Congrats on raising two beautiful well behaved happy dogs 🥰

itsgettingweird · 24/09/2022 16:35

Moveonswiftlyplease · 24/09/2022 16:13

I know you didn't mean for the woman to read this thread but it is annoying how you have addressed her throughout. Especially as all that happened was a dog ran over to you and your children but didn't do anything.
She should have had her dog on a lead and she should have recalled her dog more quickly and you should have been less dramatic.

It ran over jumping at their faces and barking.

Hardly doing nothing!

Plus they should be on a lead in these woods.

oakleaffy · 24/09/2022 16:38

Butterfly94 · 24/09/2022 14:54

It jumped up at my daughters, not sure what it was trying to do, but it was barking. I just needed an anonymous rant, I feel like this sort of thing happens all the time! I just want to enjoy going out without dogs scaring my children!

I for one empathise.
My friend’s two children were physically attacked by an “ Fighting breed” and Needed stitches) This was while they were crossing a road.
The mutt barrelled out of a park, leapt onto the child in the buggy and overturned it.
The dog’s owner was banned for keeping dogs at the time.

It’s appalling the amount of out of control dogs there are.
I own a dog, but a gentle well trained one.

I get jumped up on by scratchy clawed poodles a lot - People don’t clip nails nearly enough and there are owners of a huge poodle who let the bloody thing leap up at them.

You are not being unreasonable at all.
So many uncontrolled dogs about who leap all over people.

rockyg · 24/09/2022 16:38

What in gods name are you hoping to achieve by posting this?

@NCFT0922 you need ask yourself that question? We are all ears 😆

itsgettingweird · 24/09/2022 16:38

There's dens inside the woods. The whole walking area goes around a huge pond/lake.

bellac11 · 24/09/2022 16:38

TwinkleChristmas · 24/09/2022 16:33

If this is how it happened then it’s the OP that sounds like a nut job.

Absolutely and something I suspected from the way it was written

bellac11 · 24/09/2022 16:39

itsgettingweird · 24/09/2022 16:38

There's dens inside the woods. The whole walking area goes around a huge pond/lake.

Bingo!

DixonD · 24/09/2022 16:41

Riseabove · 24/09/2022 15:08

I never understand posts like these. Utterly pointless and rather cowardly. Next time, be brave enough to actually speak up at the time!!

They did!

happygertie · 24/09/2022 16:41

Butterfly94 · 24/09/2022 16:23

Huge, yes @happygertie. Unfortunately though, there seems to be lots of dog owners just like her who could do with this rant as well!

How many dog owners require your advice?
I know of very few that aren't responsible dog owners.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Henowner · 24/09/2022 16:41

basilmint · 24/09/2022 15:04

Did the dog bark or try to bite your children or was the dog just exploring? If it's the latter, you sound horrible.

There were signs to say dogs should be on leads. Most people do not want other people's dogs jumping around them even if they don't bite. You sound like a typical entitled dog owner who thinks your precious mutt should be allowed to do what it pleases even if it's clearly stated it should be on a lead.

Hear hear

NormalNans · 24/09/2022 16:41

No, it’s a ‘we hate twatty dog owners’ thread.

DixonD · 24/09/2022 16:42

Butterfly94 · 24/09/2022 15:18

@vivainsomnia I was sat on the ground with them. He jumped up in my face and I swerved and grabbed my daughters. He jumped up at 3yo and I pulled her face into my shoulder. DH then grabbed him off us.

You overreacted.

But she should have had more control of her dog and not been rude to you.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.