My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To the woman with the crazy dog at Holly Hill..

166 replies

Butterfly94 · 24/09/2022 14:43

There were signs everywhere telling you to keep your dog on a lead. Me and my daughters (3 and 1 year old) were trying to enjoy exploring the dens when your dog came pelting towards us and jumped in our faces. They were terrified, and we were cornered by him and all I could do was grab them close to me. My husband then had to get him away from us, as you didn't seem too bothered about controlling him. No apology, nothing except having a go at my husband for shouting at your dog. If you can't control your animal, don't have one, and definitely don't let them off the lead. I'm sick of having to fend off dogs from my kids who are scared of them and never want to have them in their face, 'friendly' or otherwise. Rant over!

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

332 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
36%
You are NOT being unreasonable
64%
Hoppinggreen · 24/09/2022 15:24

Oh God I am so sorry
Fluffikins just loves children and is very friendly though.
I will keep her on the lead in future though I promise

PuppyMonkey · 24/09/2022 15:24

I also just googled and there’s a Holly Hill School in Notts. It’s a puzzle. Grin

bellac11 · 24/09/2022 15:24

girlmom21 · 24/09/2022 15:22

I've just googled and there's one in Hampshire and one in Kent

I wondered if it was theme park but thought I would sound stupid!!

It comes up with a city in Florida, a pub, a primary school

Goldenbear · 24/09/2022 15:25

For years as a Labrador knocked him over when he was 2 and was on top of him. Dogs on 1 and 3 yesr olds is completely unacceptable. The woman who let her dog push my toddler over just clapped her hands aggressively and said, 'what is wrong with you boy!' He was a baby but I did tell her to piss off so not about the confrontation to me. My DS now likes a girl who asks him to walk her dog with but it is an untrained Labrador and is yanking her everywhere on an extendable lead, he said that it is so embarrassing going out with a dog like that he has dropped any notion of seeing this girl. It does stuff like in the OP. And it is ridiculous to compare dogs and babies, I think you'll find they have human rights and legal rights unlike dogs.

girlmom21 · 24/09/2022 15:25

@bellac11 it came up with loads of primary schools for me too Grin

DownToTheSeaAgain · 24/09/2022 15:26

Most dog owners are blind to the faults of their dogs and cannot believe that anyone could be scared by their behaviour.

It is similar to parents not believing that their children can do any wrong.

Butterfly94 · 24/09/2022 15:27

It's in Hampshire, nothing special 😁I guess anyone telling me I'm overreacting is a dog owner themselves! For the record, I'm not expecting her to read this, I'm just ranting. We did tell her exactly what we thought at the time, she just didn't care. I just want more people to start using their brains when out with their dogs.

OP posts:
Duchess379 · 24/09/2022 15:28

Why are you posting on MN?! Nextdoor app or FB is more suitable 💁🏼

suprisebitch · 24/09/2022 15:28

Im so confused. If you wanted to just have a rant you could have wrote it in your phone or on paper and then deleted it or threw it away maybe?

Plump82 · 24/09/2022 15:29

I hate these style of posts. If you're not expecting the owner to read it why write it as if it's addressed to her.

My3bigdogs · 24/09/2022 15:32

Read the post, the dog jumped in their faces and cornered them. Hardly ‘just exploring

Likeky the OP was slightly over exaggerating as she’s scared of dogs.

OP, the dog isn’t “crazy”. But if you reacted the way I’m guessing you did, the way I see some people react when they see my dogs, who are always in a lead if they are anywhere that is not our property, then no wonder the dog jumped.

Butterfly94 · 24/09/2022 15:35

Okay.

AIBU? This crazy lady couldn't control her dog earlier and it got in my daughters' faces. My DH had to pull him off us as she didn't move when this was happening. She then had a go at us for shouting at her dog. We told her to control her dog and put him on a lead. AIBU to be annoyed at her?

OP posts:
girlmom21 · 24/09/2022 15:36

Butterfly94 · 24/09/2022 15:35

Okay.

AIBU? This crazy lady couldn't control her dog earlier and it got in my daughters' faces. My DH had to pull him off us as she didn't move when this was happening. She then had a go at us for shouting at her dog. We told her to control her dog and put him on a lead. AIBU to be annoyed at her?

Did it get in all of your faces or your daughters faces? Did it say a quick hello and wander off or snarl?

properdoughnut · 24/09/2022 15:36

Next time scream in her face and see if she likes it

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr · 24/09/2022 15:38

I’d have been angry about that too and would probably hung it on a nearby branch by the collar out of the owner’s reach.

Bluntfuckit · 24/09/2022 15:40

Cmon you know the drill.

What brand of dog was it?

Wink

DrinkFeckArseBrick · 24/09/2022 15:42

All the picky mumsnetters are out today.

It doesnt matter where Holly Hill is. It doesnt matter if that lady reads it or not because there are plenty of other irresponsible dog owners who will. It's irrelevant if you're scared of dogs. It's against the spirit of the site, in my opinion, to pick apart posts and assume they are grossly exaggerating, especially when dogs jump up onto people every day.

Out of control dogs, around children, in an area that explicitly says dogs should be on leads, where you were minding your own business is not ok. If someone cant stop their dog jumping up at others then it should be ok a lead.

My aunt was recently knocked over by a 'friendly' dog at the park while she was just walking along the path. She could easily have broken something. The owner didnt give a shit

DrinkFeckArseBrick · 24/09/2022 15:43

If you owned or were in control of anything else that regularly knocked people over then you would have it confiscated or be sued

Underscore21 · 24/09/2022 15:47

I don't like young kids aged 4-5 year old on petrol engine motor cross type bikes driving up to my dog in the park. It's noisy and scary, and my dog was terrified. Just saying.

Antarcticant · 24/09/2022 15:50

Why have you addressed this to someone who might not even have heard of Mumsnet? If you'd posted this as 'AIBU to be upset' I think you'd have got universal sympathy, but the way you've put it has annoyed people.

PalePurplePumpkin · 24/09/2022 15:52

bellac11 · 24/09/2022 15:21

Whats Holly Hill and why dont I know about this?

Now everyone is going to want to know what this is

Sounds like a new soap opera.

Butitsnotfunnyisititsserious · 24/09/2022 15:53

Kids and dogs don't mix!

Well some do. Your kids and dogs don't mix. It's also not all dog owners. If it states for dogs to be on a lead, they should be. It's irresponsible for an owner to let them off. However, there will always be places where dogs are allowed to be off lead. Owners should not have their dogs off lead unless they have good recall and the owner is actually paying attention.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

EdithStourton · 24/09/2022 15:53

YANBU to object to a dog running up to you in an on-lead area.

YABU to over react and wind a chunk of MN up into what will end up as yet another 'all dogs on lead and muzzled at all times and better yet expunged from the face of the earth' batshit thread.

Revolvingwhore · 24/09/2022 15:57

Caroffee · 24/09/2022 14:50

Did the dog bark or try to bite your children or was the dog just exploring? If it's the latter, you sound horrible.

"Just exploring". No, terrible excuse - control your dog, not everyone wants to meet it.

Liz1tummypain · 24/09/2022 15:58

Where is Holly Hill?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.