My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To the woman with the crazy dog at Holly Hill..

166 replies

Butterfly94 · 24/09/2022 14:43

There were signs everywhere telling you to keep your dog on a lead. Me and my daughters (3 and 1 year old) were trying to enjoy exploring the dens when your dog came pelting towards us and jumped in our faces. They were terrified, and we were cornered by him and all I could do was grab them close to me. My husband then had to get him away from us, as you didn't seem too bothered about controlling him. No apology, nothing except having a go at my husband for shouting at your dog. If you can't control your animal, don't have one, and definitely don't let them off the lead. I'm sick of having to fend off dogs from my kids who are scared of them and never want to have them in their face, 'friendly' or otherwise. Rant over!

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

332 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
36%
You are NOT being unreasonable
64%
tonightelmowillrise · 24/09/2022 16:01

🙄 i left Facebook so I could avoid passive aggressive “to the person who…” shite like this that would never be read by the intended person

Qwerkie · 24/09/2022 16:04

Owner should have had it on a lead. You shouldn’t be so hysterical when confronted by a dog you’ll give them a phobia

itsgettingweird · 24/09/2022 16:04

Butterfly94 · 24/09/2022 14:57

I'm not expecting her to read this. I just need to rant about dog owners I guess! We did have a go at her, it seemed to just bounce off her. Like we should have been more bothered about her dog than our children.

I'm actually local so there is actually a change she may read this 🤣🤣🤣

It wasn't me as I don't have a dog but I used to walk miles around that area when my ds swam!

Yanbu btw. If you can't control your dog - lead.

If you're asked to keep it on a lead - then do!

America12 · 24/09/2022 16:04

Caroffee · 24/09/2022 14:50

Did the dog bark or try to bite your children or was the dog just exploring? If it's the latter, you sound horrible.

It was supposed to be on a lead , not scaring children.

itsgettingweird · 24/09/2022 16:05

vivainsomnia · 24/09/2022 15:17

She should have had the dog in the lead if that what is signed there. End of.

However, what does 'jump on our faces' mean?

A dog can jump upwards to express happiness or jump to someone, but not their face. If they jump at someone face, it usually means they will bite, which clearly that dog didn't.

Yes but a 1 and 3 yo are small and if a parent is crouched down to protect them they are also low.

rockyg · 24/09/2022 16:06

MNs is so weird about dogs, you can have threads about all sorts of petty neighbour/local shit but dare criticise a dog/owner & you are the devil incarnate 😆

itsgettingweird · 24/09/2022 16:07

Liz1tummypain · 24/09/2022 15:58

Where is Holly Hill?

Salisbury green in Hampshire!

rockyg · 24/09/2022 16:07

Im so confused. If you wanted to just have a rant you could have wrote it in your phone or on paper and then deleted it or threw it away maybe?

Are you new to MNs? It's rant central!

bellac11 · 24/09/2022 16:10

rockyg · 24/09/2022 16:06

MNs is so weird about dogs, you can have threads about all sorts of petty neighbour/local shit but dare criticise a dog/owner & you are the devil incarnate 😆

You must be joking, everytime theres a thread about humans bad behaviour, theres some excuser for them, either they're suffering from MH or some other disorder, or they're 'vulnerable' or they're female and so cant be criticised, blah blah blah

Humans get away with a lot. Dogs only do what they're either trained or allowed to do.

rockyg · 24/09/2022 16:10

A dog ran up to my friends toddler & swiped the sandwich out of his hand in the non dog area of a local park. I won't tell you how I reacted...

rockyg · 24/09/2022 16:12

@bellac11 but no one tells the poster to take their family drama, neighbour squabble to a different form or write on paper & screw up. JFC MNs would be dead!

rockyg · 24/09/2022 16:13

I won't tell you how I reacted...

Not how I reacted, how she did, although tbf I did react to her reaction.

Moveonswiftlyplease · 24/09/2022 16:13

I know you didn't mean for the woman to read this thread but it is annoying how you have addressed her throughout. Especially as all that happened was a dog ran over to you and your children but didn't do anything.
She should have had her dog on a lead and she should have recalled her dog more quickly and you should have been less dramatic.

bellac11 · 24/09/2022 16:13

rockyg · 24/09/2022 16:12

@bellac11 but no one tells the poster to take their family drama, neighbour squabble to a different form or write on paper & screw up. JFC MNs would be dead!

Thats true yes!!

AndTwoFilmsByFrancoisTruffaut · 24/09/2022 16:14

Hoppinggreen · 24/09/2022 15:24

Oh God I am so sorry
Fluffikins just loves children and is very friendly though.
I will keep her on the lead in future though I promise

😂

rockyg · 24/09/2022 16:14

forum even, I think I've been on here too long & can no longer type!

amylou8 · 24/09/2022 16:14

I know Holly Hill but only because I'm from Portsmouth. Very strange place to post. YANBU to not want someone's dog running up to you uninvited, but it sounds like you majorly over reacted. No wonder your kids are terrified.

Wafflesnsniffles · 24/09/2022 16:16

YANBU to rant about this. It upsets me too when this happens.
YABU to post specific details of the location here.

Pickingmyselfup · 24/09/2022 16:16

In an area specifically saying dogs should be on lead you are entitled to be annoyed that one wasn't and especially entitled to be annoyed that one ran up to you.

On the whole it doesn't bother me but last month I was walking along the beach with my 4 year old minding my own business when a small sausage dog came running up snapping at my child which scared him. I was not impressed and had a go, told them to put it on a lead and get it under control. There were several other dogs there all completely well behaved on lead not bothering anybody.

I have no idea if this dog was likely to bite but that's not the point at all. We should be able to walk along without being mobbed by a dog however small it is. My kids aren't allowed to go mob a dog although I appreciate some kids are allowed to run riot.

At the end of the day if a dog bites someone even if it was provoked and you wouldn't actually blame it, it's the owners who are the ones that end up with no dog so you would think they would want to make sure it wasn't able to happen by keeping said dog under control.

AndTwoFilmsByFrancoisTruffaut · 24/09/2022 16:18

properdoughnut · 24/09/2022 15:36

Next time scream in her face and see if she likes it

Not batshit at all 🙄

AndTwoFilmsByFrancoisTruffaut · 24/09/2022 16:20

amylou8 · 24/09/2022 16:14

I know Holly Hill but only because I'm from Portsmouth. Very strange place to post. YANBU to not want someone's dog running up to you uninvited, but it sounds like you majorly over reacted. No wonder your kids are terrified.

Absolutely this. Total overreaction to an enthusiastic greeting from a dog 🙄

I wager that if the OP didn’t react so dramatically, her kids wouldn’t be so scared.

stickynoter · 24/09/2022 16:20

YANBU to be annoyed

YABU to address a rant to someone on MN, admitting you don't expect her to see it. Seems a bit strange. Could've just posted a rant about what happened asking if you were unreasonable to be annoyed.

I'm also wondering if the dog was that aggressive based on your post, especially if it's something that's happened to you often. Maybe the dog was being friendly but given your fear it didn't come across that way to you....no wonder your DC have a fear too

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Butterfly94 · 24/09/2022 16:21

I'm glad I'm not the only one, but it worries me that people think I was overreacting! We were in an enclosed den and it was blocking our exit and jumping up at us and barking. It had to be pulled off us. It may not have wanted to bite us, but if it had just been me with my two kids, what could I have done when I had one kid in each arm? No way to defend myself in an enclosed space is pretty scary. We were just minding our own business and didn't realise what was happening until it jumped up at us. It ran so fast towards us, DH said as soon as it was let off the lead it started running at us. No hysterics to have wound it up before then, so sorry but it wasn't my fault!

OP posts:
happygertie · 24/09/2022 16:22

I think there's a huge chance the crazy lady isn't on mumsnet and therefore will not see your post addressing her.

Butterfly94 · 24/09/2022 16:22

@stickynoter he was not being friendly. If that was friendly, then that's a problem!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.