My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To the woman with the crazy dog at Holly Hill..

166 replies

Butterfly94 · 24/09/2022 14:43

There were signs everywhere telling you to keep your dog on a lead. Me and my daughters (3 and 1 year old) were trying to enjoy exploring the dens when your dog came pelting towards us and jumped in our faces. They were terrified, and we were cornered by him and all I could do was grab them close to me. My husband then had to get him away from us, as you didn't seem too bothered about controlling him. No apology, nothing except having a go at my husband for shouting at your dog. If you can't control your animal, don't have one, and definitely don't let them off the lead. I'm sick of having to fend off dogs from my kids who are scared of them and never want to have them in their face, 'friendly' or otherwise. Rant over!

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

332 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
36%
You are NOT being unreasonable
64%
SoupDragon · 24/09/2022 17:04

Mind you, my dog's been attacked by nasty little dogs as well as big ones so they are just as bad.

SoupDragon · 24/09/2022 17:04

MissMaple82 · 24/09/2022 17:03

Yawn... really, what's the point in this pointless post??

And yet here you are, posting... 🤔

Mummyoflittledragon · 24/09/2022 17:05

mathanxiety · 24/09/2022 16:54

Wow, so many responses here from people who think dogs can do no wrong.

What is the matter with you all?

I am also surprised. Threads like this normally go in a very different direction, with posters stating dogs must be under control at all times, especially around children, or on a lead.

MissMaple82 · 24/09/2022 17:08

Some folk are so dramatic. Dog probably just ran in their direction then loitering about till the owner got to him. I dont for one second believe it "cornered" you in an aggressive manner! Get a life, or maybe a personal diary to jot your feelings down !

neveradullmoment99 · 24/09/2022 17:12

I think the OP is totally right.
Absolutely unacceptable.
If you own a dog, keep it on your lead. Not everyone likes dogs. I have a real fear of them and would find this action unbelievably ignorant.

WoodenStackingRainbow · 24/09/2022 17:16

I love dogs, not scared at all and never have been. Since having a young child I am super wary and my son hates them because of the number of times he has been knocked over, chased, barked at and jumped up at while completely minding his own business. I once had to physically take a Jack Russell off him and hand it back to it's owner, and once had a dog actually chase him, jump and snap in his face. Many other parents I know have the same problem. I respond in these situations calmly and confidently. Lots of children are scared of dogs because lots of dog owners are thoughtless, and don't understand why "my dog won't hurt him" or "don't worry he's harmless" are stupid things to say.

Mojoj · 24/09/2022 17:17

You are correct that the dog should have better recall so that it didn't get the chance to jump up at you and your kids. However, by the way you describe your reaction to the dog approaching you, you are teaching your children to be afraid of all dogs. Which is a shame but it doesn't sound as if you'll be getting a dog anytime soon🤣🤣. And btw, children and dogs are a match made in heaven😃

ArcaneWireless · 24/09/2022 17:18

You addressed your post to the woman with the crazy dog at Holly hill.

then posted this

I'm not expecting her to read this. I just need to rant about dog owners I guess!

So not to the woman at all. Just another goady dog hating/dog owner hating thread.

1/10.

vodkaredbullgirl · 24/09/2022 17:20

There is not a week goes by on here, that there is a dog hating post.

itsgettingweird · 24/09/2022 17:22

Bellac** Confused why is my post bingo? I was just answering the post as someone who knows the woods - being very local!

I don't own a dog though!

vodkaredbullgirl · 24/09/2022 17:22

Saying that if dogs were required to be on lead at all times where you were, they should be.

SquirrelSoShiny · 24/09/2022 17:22

YANBU.

ijustcouldntthinkofausername · 24/09/2022 17:23

I have a dog 🙋🏼‍♀️
I also have an 18 month old 🙋🏼‍♀️

It nerves me when my own dogs jumps up DS to be honest, not because I think he will bite him (because he's normally super excited to see him) but more so incase he knocks him over and DS gets hurt from it.

So I understand you would be scared of a strange dog jumping up. Chances are he was excited, but still - it would scare you!

YANBU in the sense that YES if it states they need to be leashed at all times then they should, you are also NBU to protect your DC against a strange dog bolting towards you.
But.. as other PPs have said.. probably pointless posting it on MN as it won't achieve anything tbh, probably should have said something to the lady at the time 🤷🏼‍♀️

bellac11 · 24/09/2022 17:24

itsgettingweird · 24/09/2022 17:22

Bellac** Confused why is my post bingo? I was just answering the post as someone who knows the woods - being very local!

I don't own a dog though!

I was referring to this in another thread, when someone just writes a word and doesnt quote the whole post or trail and now I cant remember what on earth the conversation was.

I dont know how to find my posts unfortuantely what does bingo mean?

Quveas · 24/09/2022 17:25

I just need to rant about dog owners I guess!

And that is why, instead of dealing with her at the time, or putting something up locally where people might know were the hell Holly Hill is, you posted here on an international site. If this happened, you want to have a rant about all dog owners, not the one that you seem to have a problem with. It's fun to provoke yet another pile on at everybody who has the temerity to own a dog, whether they have it trained and under control or not. I also don't like out of control dogs. I don't either like out of control children, so I think I'll have an international rant about all children and their irresponsible parents who think that just because they like their little darlings, I should too.

This is boring now. We get that some MN posters hate dogs. Great. Fine. Others don't. Get over it. If you think that someone - a minority - is being irresponsible then deal with that. Don't tar us all with the same brush and act like you don't realise that that is exactly what you are doing.

ladygindiva · 24/09/2022 17:27

Im a dog owner and I agree with you op. I'm sorry this happened to you. Some dog owners are utter tits.

itsgettingweird · 24/09/2022 17:29

was referring to this in another thread, when someone just writes a word and doesnt quote the whole post or trail and now I cant remember what on earth the conversation was.

ConfusedConfusedConfused

Further up you quoted me and and then wrote "bingo" underneath. I didn't understand why.

And I can't quote quoted posts. It doesn't let me in the app.

I wasn't sure why you replied by writing bingo.

Id simply replied to a poster who said was it debs she was in or woods by stating there are dens in the woods and the whole area is walks around lakes.

I simply happen to know the area very well.

TinyLittleBug · 24/09/2022 17:33

OP There are people who do believe their dog should take precedence over children - I’ve genuinely read on here some people say that they love their dog more than their own children! I wish I was joking. So she’s unlikely to have taken any notice of what you said to her, because you can’t argue with stupid. Hope you and your kids are ok. Some dog owners are absolute bellends.

bellac11 · 24/09/2022 17:36

itsgettingweird · 24/09/2022 17:29

was referring to this in another thread, when someone just writes a word and doesnt quote the whole post or trail and now I cant remember what on earth the conversation was.

ConfusedConfusedConfused

Further up you quoted me and and then wrote "bingo" underneath. I didn't understand why.

And I can't quote quoted posts. It doesn't let me in the app.

I wasn't sure why you replied by writing bingo.

Id simply replied to a poster who said was it debs she was in or woods by stating there are dens in the woods and the whole area is walks around lakes.

I simply happen to know the area very well.

Ok I remember this now, I was saying 'bingo' meaning you were right, the dens are in the woods, and therefore the other poster who had an altercation with a mad screaming lady was in the woods

It was a tongue in cheek reference to the fact that another poster might have been the crazy lady with the dog

But clearly not that funny now that Ive had to explain it at length

Scianel · 24/09/2022 17:39

I don't know why people are being such arses. People's dogs shouldn't be jumping up on random small children.

PinkButtercups · 24/09/2022 17:43

Ah we go here often and most of the dogs are under control but you get the odd one or two who are a complete nightmare and their owners are no where to be seen!

Butterfly94 · 24/09/2022 17:44

To those saying I'm passing my fear of dogs on..I'm not especially scared of them, but I am more wary of them now I have kids. Whenever we walk past on DD says she's scared, and I say calmly that there's nothing to be afraid of, he's not interested in you etc. When they come up to her and push her over/jump up to her face then I step in and protect her. Her fear is not from my reaction, but from her experiences. I keep telling her dogs are okay, but then stuff like this keeps happening to prove me wrong in her eyes!

OP posts:

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

rockyg · 24/09/2022 17:44

But clearly not that funny now that Ive had to explain it at length

I found this funny 😄

rockyg · 24/09/2022 17:46

@Quveas Wowsers you need to chill! Maybe next time avoid such posts?

ExtraOnions · 24/09/2022 17:46

“Fur baby” nut jobs will be here soon, saying you should be honoured that the dog wanted to be near you.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.