Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Friend not speaking to me because I eat eggs

312 replies

Upthebracket22 · 19/07/2022 13:18

I am a lifelong veggie- my parents were 70’s hippies & so I have never eaten meat and was raised vegetarian & I don’t eat dairy either but I am not a vegan as I eat eggs - I find I need the protein & generally benefit from eating them.

my friend turned vegan last year and is really militant- sends me horrible videos of baby chicks having their heads cut off etc. i asked her to stop as it was upsetting & I didn’t feel I needed to justify my dietary choices to anyone and now she’s stopped speaking to me. Says she finds it difficult to engage with anyone who eats animal products.

Aibu to feel upset and also a bit like- go & try to covert some meat eaters if that’s your thing but preaching to the converted anyway - I am already trying my best and have had over 40 years of not eating animals - she’s had a year of it. She’s used language like murderer to me etc.

I do feel really upset about it all to be honest.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

PoseyFlump · 21/07/2022 19:28

all the eggs you buy are free range and from a nice friendly local farm where none of the animals suffer.

Nope. No education needed here at all.

Please
or

MyrrAgain · 22/07/2022 14:40

@PoseyFlump

And what's the point of your judgy bitchy comment exactly? It's better than battery hens. So yes you're right, no education needed thanks. Get back on your high horse and bugger off maybe 🤷🏻‍♀️

Please
or

PoseyFlump · 22/07/2022 16:30

@MyrrAgain the whole fecking post is about the slaughter of male chicks. Maybe you should be arsed to read the whole thread before repeating the same nonsense.

Please
or

MyrrAgain · 22/07/2022 18:07

@PoseyFlump

Yeah I should read 302 messages just to please you 😂😂😂
Your point is irrelevant - I'm saying free range is better than other situations. Maybe you should be "arsed to read the whole thread" about how people who bang on about having holier than thou attitudes should shut the fuck up cause their sanctimonious teachy clap trap ain't welcome???

Please
or

PoseyFlump · 22/07/2022 18:23

@MyrrAgain your messages have been abusive no one else's. What happens to the male chicks in your Fantasy Farm where none of the animals suffer? Grow up.

Please
or

MyrrAgain · 22/07/2022 19:06

@PoseyFlump Didn't mention anything about male chicks, like I said it's irrelevant to my point. The point is it's better than caged hens and many other situations. So stop acting like OP's militant "friend" and deal with the fact that free range is better than nothing and stop harassing posters who have a right to write their opinion without needing "education". However, there's no point arguing with some people , as they say, so I'm going to stop wasting my time now. Stop with your assumptions and snidey indications.

Please
or

underneaththeash · 22/07/2022 19:10

PoseyFlump · 21/07/2022 19:28

all the eggs you buy are free range and from a nice friendly local farm where none of the animals suffer.

Nope. No education needed here at all.

It's a chicken and they're a good source of iron and protein (considerably better than most plant sources) and humans are omnivores.

I'm absolutely sick of bloody vegans preaching unhealthy diets to my children - stop it.

Please
or

PoseyFlump · 22/07/2022 19:50

@underneaththeash what's that got to do with what's being discussed here? Ie the killing of male chicks? You're bordering on hate speech there.

Please
or

PoseyFlump · 22/07/2022 19:52

A 'write' to their opinion 😂

If you state something as a fact that is wrong 'animals don't suffer in free range farms' then posters have a right to correct you. Or are you purposely spreading misinformation?

Please
or

PoseyFlump · 22/07/2022 20:09

Oh and meat eaters as well as vegans on this thread have said exactly the same as I have about people's lack of understanding when it comes to free range eggs.

Please
or

MyrrAgain · 22/07/2022 20:16

PoseyFlump · 22/07/2022 19:52

A 'write' to their opinion 😂

If you state something as a fact that is wrong 'animals don't suffer in free range farms' then posters have a right to correct you. Or are you purposely spreading misinformation?

Please read properly 😂

"stop harassing posters who have a right to write their opinion"

I have a right, to write, my opinion. It doesn't have to meet your standards of whatever "facts" about animals you think we should be reporting.

Please
or

TheGoodEnoughWife · 22/07/2022 20:19

Totally agree @PoseyFlump

There are two issues here - OPs 'friend' should not be sending horrible videos that haven't been requested and should not be calling OP names. That is nasty.

However the lack of understanding about the existence of male chicks and what happens to those chicks in order to get those lovely free range egg laying hens is actually quite shocking!

(As stated before I am not vegan/vegetarian and I eat eggs)

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?