Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Friend not speaking to me because I eat eggs

312 replies

Upthebracket22 · 19/07/2022 13:18

I am a lifelong veggie- my parents were 70’s hippies & so I have never eaten meat and was raised vegetarian & I don’t eat dairy either but I am not a vegan as I eat eggs - I find I need the protein & generally benefit from eating them.

my friend turned vegan last year and is really militant- sends me horrible videos of baby chicks having their heads cut off etc. i asked her to stop as it was upsetting & I didn’t feel I needed to justify my dietary choices to anyone and now she’s stopped speaking to me. Says she finds it difficult to engage with anyone who eats animal products.

Aibu to feel upset and also a bit like- go & try to covert some meat eaters if that’s your thing but preaching to the converted anyway - I am already trying my best and have had over 40 years of not eating animals - she’s had a year of it. She’s used language like murderer to me etc.

I do feel really upset about it all to be honest.

OP posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Homewardbound2022 · 19/07/2022 19:23

She's being eggstreamly OTT. Chuck her away or hope she stays cooped up at home away from you to stop egging you on. Seriously.

Please
or

ddl1 · 19/07/2022 19:35

She sounds really extreme. Most of the vegans whom I know don't act like this. Not really worth having as a friend.

Please
or

DaniRabbity · 19/07/2022 19:39

What a coincidence, there was a big story in all the papers just the other week recently where a woman complained because her vegan friend had a go at her over eating eggs. She got a ton of press coverage over it.

Is that you, OP, or are we overrun with unreasonable vegans?

Please
or

Hachos2018 · 19/07/2022 19:41

This reply has been withdrawn

Withdrawn at poster's request

Please
or

KittenKong · 19/07/2022 19:41

Carpy88999 · 19/07/2022 17:58

What do you think happens to those happy and healthy hens when they no longer produce eggs?

Non productive hens? My sister and her neighbours take them onto their farms as pets

Please
or

Hachos2018 · 19/07/2022 19:44

fyn · 19/07/2022 18:32

@Hachos2018 I don’t feel guilty at all! His videos are regularly not backed by facts and that’s the point. He has a real lack of understanding about agriculture, land management and it’s necessary systems. I know this for a fact as I did carry out a four year degree in land management and have managed 100,000 acres of National Park. Animal agriculture is absolutely crucial to its sustainable management. I’m sure a TV production graduate knows better though.

It’s up to you what you eat, I couldn’t really care less but it’s annoying to see people trying to guilt others whilst benefiting from the very animal agriculture that they deride others for, all whilst using unreliable sources.

Again, if people feel guilty when seeing these resources that’s on them. It’s no shame, it’s just showing compassion for innocent animals that suffer needlessly at the hands of humans 💔 You’re entitled to your opinion and I’m entitled to disagree, which I do; that’s life my friend 🌱💕

Please
or

Confusion101 · 19/07/2022 19:44

@Hachos2018 whos feeling guilty?? 🍳🥚💕

Please
or

Irridescantshimmmer · 19/07/2022 19:50

With a 'friend' like that, you don't need enemies.

Block them like a rat up a drainpipe.

You doing alright as you are and you don't need that 'persons' nonsence and their malicious communications as well as narrow mindedness in your life.

Please
or

Lentil63 · 19/07/2022 19:59

Look at my name!
I’ve been veggie for over 50years, I was a trailblazer! 😀
I became veggie for the animals, now I’ve had time to see the dreadful reality of the egg and dairy industry I feel horribly guilty. I’d like to be vegan. One of my beautiful DIL’s is vegan, she doesn’t preach, in 54 years as a veggie I have never preached. My husband is and always has been a meat eater. My two sons were bought up vegetarian; the elder one is now an enthusiastic meat eater!
We aren’t going to change people very quickly, including me and you but what I do feel very strongly about is compassion in the husbandary and death of farm animals.
Your ‘friend’ sound like a pain in the 🤬.

Please
or

CharlotteOH · 19/07/2022 20:00

It’s very odd for her to be criticising a lifelong veggie over eggs especially when she’s only recently become vegan.

I suspect she felt inferior to you and now feels superior and is enjoying rubbing your face in it.

She’s not a friend. She’s not even a nice person. Ditch her.

Please
or

bluegardenflowers · 19/07/2022 20:23

Thank goodness she's not your friend any longer. Bonkers behaviour.

Please
or

ldontWanna · 19/07/2022 20:25

Just send her this pic and then block her.

Friend not speaking to me because I eat eggs
Please
or

FabFitFifties · 19/07/2022 20:28

I can guarantee she'll eat meat before you do OP.

Please
or

HouseInTheHills · 19/07/2022 20:29

ldontWanna · 19/07/2022 20:25

Just send her this pic and then block her.

How pathetic. Did you miss the part where OP said she was vegetarian? So why would she send that? 🤪

Please
or

ilyx · 19/07/2022 20:32

I’m a vegan and if you don’t eat meat because it’s cruel I don’t understand how you can eat eggs? They put baby male chicks in a blender!

Please
or

LisbonKid · 19/07/2022 20:34

But..she is 100% correct.
maybe you are upset because she has touched a nerve.
chicken and egg production is cruel, you are a hypocrite .
poor cows etc but happy to scoff products from an equally cruel practice.

Please
or

LisbonKid · 19/07/2022 20:35

Pasithea · 19/07/2022 15:28

We have chickens, errrrm no I have never chopped off a chicks head, but we do eat our eggs. My chooks have all the farm to explore ( except when bird flu starts. ). They have a lovely life and a lovely tame cockerel to look after them. They have long natural lovely lives and as pain free relaxed palliative care as possible.

And the male birds? What happens to them hmmmm? 🧐

Please
or

wherearebeefandonioncrisps · 19/07/2022 20:37

She's one of those... a newly hatched, evangelical vegan who can only see their own light.
I'd leave her be. She probably eats ultra processed fake meats without a care as to how they're produced and the energy needed to produce them.
A good vegetarian is a great vegetarian.

Please
or

LadyMonicaBaddingham · 19/07/2022 20:41

The only thing worse than brand-new vegans is born-again non-smokers. You're well rid of this friend waste of space.

Please
or

ilyx · 19/07/2022 20:41

probably eats ultra processed fake meats without a care as to how they're produced and the energy needed to produce them

Oh yes Soy Protein and Pea Protein are so evil 😂 what a joke.

Please
or

riesenrad · 19/07/2022 20:42

FabFitFifties · 19/07/2022 20:28

I can guarantee she'll eat meat before you do OP.

Or, at the very least, cakes which have eggs in them.

Please
or

Homewardbound2022 · 19/07/2022 20:46

wherearebeefandonioncrisps · 19/07/2022 20:37

She's one of those... a newly hatched, evangelical vegan who can only see their own light.
I'd leave her be. She probably eats ultra processed fake meats without a care as to how they're produced and the energy needed to produce them.
A good vegetarian is a great vegetarian.

Newly hatched...😂

Please
or

KittenKong · 19/07/2022 21:00

Lentil63 · 19/07/2022 19:59

Look at my name!
I’ve been veggie for over 50years, I was a trailblazer! 😀
I became veggie for the animals, now I’ve had time to see the dreadful reality of the egg and dairy industry I feel horribly guilty. I’d like to be vegan. One of my beautiful DIL’s is vegan, she doesn’t preach, in 54 years as a veggie I have never preached. My husband is and always has been a meat eater. My two sons were bought up vegetarian; the elder one is now an enthusiastic meat eater!
We aren’t going to change people very quickly, including me and you but what I do feel very strongly about is compassion in the husbandary and death of farm animals.
Your ‘friend’ sound like a pain in the 🤬.

I’ve been veggie since around ‘83 - there are people I have worked in places for years and colleagues didn’t know (doesn’t come up, and I don’t feel the need to tell everyone).

I went veggie when I learned about farming industry, the nasties in processed meat, and rainforests being chopped down for burger-joint cows…

I can’t be doing with born again evangelicals. And Veganary is exhausting - all the “ooo look at me I’m having a highly processed lump of god knows what that looks like road kill! I am so gooooood!”

I remember the ‘cheese salad years’ (without the cheese as staff could tell for sure about rennet back in the day).

Please
or

pastypirate · 19/07/2022 22:21

I have an ex friend like this. My limit was reached when she taught her child to say 'I don't drink milk the cows scream when their calves are taken away' to my children who were quite young at the time.

Not the main reason the friendship ended but top 5.

Please
or

Bc155 · 19/07/2022 23:16

pastypirate · 19/07/2022 22:21

I have an ex friend like this. My limit was reached when she taught her child to say 'I don't drink milk the cows scream when their calves are taken away' to my children who were quite young at the time.

Not the main reason the friendship ended but top 5.

This demonstrates the issue ... A cow bonds with her calf, just as we bond with our babies. Yet we ignore this and criticize when it is brought up. Yes, sounds extreme but it is true.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?