Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Friend not speaking to me because I eat eggs

312 replies

Upthebracket22 · 19/07/2022 13:18

I am a lifelong veggie- my parents were 70’s hippies & so I have never eaten meat and was raised vegetarian & I don’t eat dairy either but I am not a vegan as I eat eggs - I find I need the protein & generally benefit from eating them.

my friend turned vegan last year and is really militant- sends me horrible videos of baby chicks having their heads cut off etc. i asked her to stop as it was upsetting & I didn’t feel I needed to justify my dietary choices to anyone and now she’s stopped speaking to me. Says she finds it difficult to engage with anyone who eats animal products.

Aibu to feel upset and also a bit like- go & try to covert some meat eaters if that’s your thing but preaching to the converted anyway - I am already trying my best and have had over 40 years of not eating animals - she’s had a year of it. She’s used language like murderer to me etc.

I do feel really upset about it all to be honest.

OP posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

WhileMyGuitarGentlyWeeps · 19/07/2022 13:32

Sounds like you're better off rid of her. Make sure you block her on everything.

Stupid bint. Makes all vegans look bad (and many of them are not, many are lovely and just get on with life...)

Please
or

MillicentMargaretAmanda · 19/07/2022 13:32

She sounds pretty awful atm to be honest. I have a friend who has been veggie and then vegan for the 20 years that I've known her. I respect her choices by making sure that I cater vegan for her or suggest restaurants with a good variety of vegan choices if we go out. She respects me by not caring if I sometimes chose the beefburger or the fish. That's what friends do.

Please
or

butterflied · 19/07/2022 13:35

I'd tell her to fuck off. I hate the "born again" vegans.

Please
or

TibetanTerrah · 19/07/2022 13:37

Send her this vm.tiktok.com/ZMNHW9Ggn/?k=1

*no idea how true it is but it made me think.

I recently gave up eggs but it took me a long time after seeing the videos because like you I see the nutritional value. I absolutely hate industrial animal and dairy and egg farming but until there's a solid substitute nutritionally I will continue eating meat and cheese.

Please
or

Takeitonthechin · 19/07/2022 13:39

Seriously, she's not your friend if she's trying to tell you what you should eat and what you shouldn't ... block her.

Please
or

GetThatHelmetOn · 19/07/2022 13:40

And you want to continue to be friends because…?

Block her, it is not as if she is going to run out of targets.

Please
or

Ottersmith · 19/07/2022 13:41

That's really fucking irritating. It's always the Jonny come latelies that are the most militant. Eggs have got so much goodness, I eat them every day and no one should really have to justify their diet to anyone else. It's bad enough when you are veggie having to justify it to insecure meat eaters but to trendy new vegans? Fuck off.

Please
or

TheYearOfSmallThings · 19/07/2022 13:41

Just tell her to fuck off.

And know that in two years time, when trends have changed, you will still be vegetarian, whereas she will be back to eating meat because "my doctor told me I need to" or "I listened to my body and now I'm eating line caught fish".

Please
or

TiddleyWink · 19/07/2022 13:48

I’d send her a video of me enjoying a rare steak with an egg on the side and then block her.

(I appreciate that, as a vegetarian, you may prefer to take another approach.)

Please
or

StrychnineInTheSandwiches · 19/07/2022 13:48

Was she veggie until a year ago or was she a meat eater who went straight to veganism?

Either way, absolutely tell her she’s needs to fuck off. And keeping fucking off,

Most vegans are fine, but the zeal of the newly converted is some majorly tedious shit.

Please
or

TiddleyWink · 19/07/2022 13:50

‘Dear friend, I understand that your extreme behaviour is a mark of the guilt you’re feeling for eating meat and animal products for the last forty years instead of being at least veggie like me, but I find the content you’re sending me very offensive and upsetting. Perhaps make peace with your carnivorous past and calm the fuck down you twisted weirdo’.

Then block.

Please
or

StrychnineInTheSandwiches · 19/07/2022 13:51

If she was a meat eater up until a year ago though and was now berating you, a lifelong veggie, I'd be itching to slap her chops.

Please
or

TheNoonBell · 19/07/2022 13:51

Feel free to report her distressing messages to the Police.

Please
or

FrancescaContini · 19/07/2022 13:52

She sounds like a total bore.

Please
or

lurker69 · 19/07/2022 13:56

i would just take this as the great escape to be honest, she sounds like a dick! I would never speak to someone who sent me footage of an animal being harmed for whatever reason, how absolutely vile!

Please
or

Allthegoodnamesarechosen · 19/07/2022 13:59

‘Do you think that because you are virtuous, there shall be no more cakes and ale?’

Self righteous moralists in Shakespeare ….probably some in the Stone Age.

Please
or

TheKeatingFive · 19/07/2022 13:59

God, what a colossal dick. Being ghosted sounds blissful compared to the alternatives 😆

Please
or

Luredbyapomegranate · 19/07/2022 13:59

She is a dick.

Promoting veganism / eating fewer animal products is a good thing, but what she’s doing to you is going to do the opposite if anything. So she isn’t trying to achieve anything, she’s just getting off on it.

I would mute ties for now.

Please
or

BeggarsMeddle · 19/07/2022 14:01

None so righteous as the recently reformed.

Please
or

Jaxhog · 19/07/2022 14:04

She has the crazies of the newly converted! I'm a carnivore./omnivore, with 2 vegan friends. We have never criticized our choices, as we respect each other.

I would distance yourself for a bit, as she clearly doesn't respect you.

Please
or

TheKeatingFive · 19/07/2022 14:06

Send her a 'best Johnny come lately vegan' badge in the post and never speak to her again.

Please
or

Shehasadiamondinthesky · 19/07/2022 14:07

I'm a fairly strict vegetarian and the last time a "friend" sent me videos and pictures like that I blocked them.
I don't need to see that stuff on facebook every day. If I feel the urge to do something about it I'll go out into the world to campaign or join a group or something.
Nothing is achieved by posting torture pics online.

Please
or

OneTC · 19/07/2022 14:08

Check back on her in 6 months when the novelty has worn off

Please
or

Kindofcrunchy · 19/07/2022 14:09

Really sorry you've had to deal with this OP. Basically all my friends are meat eaters, I'm vegan and I wouldn't dream of having a go at them like your friend did - its just not on, regardless of how newly vegan you are! It's rude and counter productive, if anything else. We're not all militant like that I promise!

Please
or

phishy · 19/07/2022 14:09

Why do you want to be friends with her? Get better friends.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

We're all short on time

Log in or sign up to use the 'See Next' or 'See all' posts by the OP (Original Poster) and cut straight to the action.

Already signed up?

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?