Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Friend not speaking to me because I eat eggs

312 replies

Upthebracket22 · 19/07/2022 13:18

I am a lifelong veggie- my parents were 70’s hippies & so I have never eaten meat and was raised vegetarian & I don’t eat dairy either but I am not a vegan as I eat eggs - I find I need the protein & generally benefit from eating them.

my friend turned vegan last year and is really militant- sends me horrible videos of baby chicks having their heads cut off etc. i asked her to stop as it was upsetting & I didn’t feel I needed to justify my dietary choices to anyone and now she’s stopped speaking to me. Says she finds it difficult to engage with anyone who eats animal products.

Aibu to feel upset and also a bit like- go & try to covert some meat eaters if that’s your thing but preaching to the converted anyway - I am already trying my best and have had over 40 years of not eating animals - she’s had a year of it. She’s used language like murderer to me etc.

I do feel really upset about it all to be honest.

OP posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Scottsy100 · 20/07/2022 18:11

She sounds like a complete and utter twunt in all honesty, and definitely the sort of person that makes meat eaters hate vegans, it’s just so unnecessary and make me want to eat a steak in their face

Please
or

Tessabelle74 · 20/07/2022 18:11

Sometimes the rubbish takes itself out!

Please
or

twinmum2007 · 20/07/2022 18:13

Upthebracket22 · 19/07/2022 13:18

I am a lifelong veggie- my parents were 70’s hippies & so I have never eaten meat and was raised vegetarian & I don’t eat dairy either but I am not a vegan as I eat eggs - I find I need the protein & generally benefit from eating them.

my friend turned vegan last year and is really militant- sends me horrible videos of baby chicks having their heads cut off etc. i asked her to stop as it was upsetting & I didn’t feel I needed to justify my dietary choices to anyone and now she’s stopped speaking to me. Says she finds it difficult to engage with anyone who eats animal products.

Aibu to feel upset and also a bit like- go & try to covert some meat eaters if that’s your thing but preaching to the converted anyway - I am already trying my best and have had over 40 years of not eating animals - she’s had a year of it. She’s used language like murderer to me etc.

I do feel really upset about it all to be honest.

She's batshit. You do you. Leave her to do her.

Please
or

Kentucky83 · 20/07/2022 18:18

I can understand why you'd be upset, it's never nice when a friend stops speaking to you, but this is her problem and she doesn't sound like a very good friend. Cut ties if you can.

Please
or

RC64 · 20/07/2022 18:20

Shed the toxic friend - you can do without that level of negativity in your life. You have nothing to be sorry about. You choose your life and live it very well. Don’t let a ‘newbie’ to the cause get under your skin. If she has to try that hard to make her point she is overcompensating for something. I’m not a veggie (I was until I got pregnant and my craving was meat!!!) and I continued to eat meat now. My youngest turned veggie 6 years ago. I support in her choices but I’ve never gone back to it. Your friend isn’t a friend because no friend would treat you like that. Cut the ties and move on. You deserve so much better.

Please
or

PonyPatter44 · 20/07/2022 18:24

I was really hoping that this would be a situation where your friend was actually a chicken....

Please
or

Mirw · 20/07/2022 18:28

Like so many converts, she has gone "over the wall"! I would leave her be until she comes to her senses, which she will as she will have no friends and no social life except with other militants, which takes all the fun out of life. Have seen it happen so many times.
As for those who think that veganism is the way forward, can't happen in the UK as there is no way the UK can grow enough vegan food to feed its population. If you don't believe me, go ask the scientists then the farmers.

Please
or

ewright86 · 20/07/2022 18:33

totally get why it’s upset you but she also sounds like a horrible friend. I don’t have anything against anyone who wants to eat a plant based diet etc but it’s a personal choice. You shouldn’t harass / ditch friends because they eat differently to you.

Please
or

noirchatsdeux · 20/07/2022 18:44

I have a friend who went vegan a few years ago...he turned into the cliche born again vegan like your friend, sharing horrible videos on his social media and just being a sanctimonious pain in the arse.

Every time he tried it with me, I just laughed and reminded him that I'd spent my early childhood living in what were then termed third world countries, and had watched my lunch and dinner being killed virtually every day for 3 years. So none of his crap was going to work on me. I'll eat what I want.

The joke is he's now no longer vegan, not even vegetarian. His diet is so terrible he now weighs nearly 23 stone, is a type one diabetic (he was pre-diabetic when he went vegan, said that was why he was doing it) and definitely eats more meat than I ever have!

Please
or

swimlyn · 20/07/2022 18:49

Tell her to fuck off to the far side of fuck.

ATFOSM…

Please
or

Jack80 · 20/07/2022 18:59

I’m vegetarian and I eggs and cheese, I wouldn’t be friends with her if she is being judgemental.

Please
or

SamSoSer · 20/07/2022 19:01

SleeplessInEngland · 19/07/2022 13:22

I'm sure this will turn into a vegan bashing thread, but as someone who knows a few I'm glad this kind of behaviour is uncommon and frowned upon by them, because they know it doesn't help.

Unfortunately there are more than a few militant vegans giving peaceful ones a bad rep.
Im yet to meet a vegan who doesn’t use inappropriate language and uses every opportunity to label me a murderer or try to make me feel guilty about my entire existence

Please
or

Buttonjugs · 20/07/2022 19:05

Maybe the thought of male chicks being thrown into a grinder alive because they’re no use really upsets her. It does me, although I try not to be evangelical about it.

Please
or

DanceItOut · 20/07/2022 19:06

I’m assuming that at no point prior to her becoming vegan did you preach about her dietary choices and send her propaganda videos to horrify her? If you did no such thing the she is being completely unreasonable.

Please
or

Crimeismymiddlename · 20/07/2022 19:24

This is such an easy one. Just don’t engage with her ever again. Most people do not give one shit to what other people eat. I don’t, unless it inconveniences me in some way.

Please
or

Norwegiancopice · 20/07/2022 19:25

Tell her she's a hypocrite for all the years she was a meat eating non vegan. Then break contact.

Please
or

DorritLittle · 20/07/2022 19:28

Your friend is a dick! Back away...

Please
or

SarahJane83 · 20/07/2022 19:59

My god how dare she! You are entitled to eat what you want. Either cut her off, or if you do want to remain friends with her, tell her that she must not ever tell you what you should or should not eat. That’s goes for everything. You don’t exist to be bossed about by her.

Please
or

ChiTorpedo · 20/07/2022 20:15

Having had friends who have bombarded my messages (personal or group) with video/blog/infographic links after having found weed/veganism/cycling/etc, I've discovered that the best thing you can do is to flat out ignore all messages pertaining to that topic. More often than not, they'd get the hint with no harm done to the friendship.

Please
or

Lovely13 · 20/07/2022 20:21

As someone else said, she’s akin to an ex-smoker preaching her new-found wisdom. Except you were there long before her! Ignore her. Enjoy your eggs. Preferably organic!

Please
or

Islandgirl68 · 20/07/2022 20:24

Forgoodness sake, you don't have to kill anything to aquire an egg. So there is no harm to animals. So if people have hens are they just supposed to throw the eggs away. Sometimes people just take things to far. Also nothing wrong with wool, sheep need their wool shorn off or the get too hot in the summer and if it rains their wool gets too heavy. So ignore your friend and don't let them guilt you. Nothing wrong with eggs.

Please
or

Islandgirl68 · 20/07/2022 20:35

Don't think it is vegan bashing, it is the attitude they are saying is out of order, not what she believes in.

Please
or

YDBear · 20/07/2022 20:40

Your friend is a bigot. Lose her.

Please
or

Devora13 · 20/07/2022 20:42

I would say 'I am not a new convert like you but have had 40 years of careful consideration for animals and have chosen to balance this with what's best for my health. Once you have regained some perspective and are willing to accept other's choices, and maybe even apologise for your unpleasant behaviour, then we can talk.' Then block her.

Please
or

restingbitchface30 · 20/07/2022 20:42

She’s a c u next Tuesday

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?