Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Israeli forces attacking funeral procession of a journalist

AnxietyForever · 13/05/2022 22:56

I've just seen the videos and have been reading up on this, utterly gobsmacked..
I mean, you'd think they'd have left the funeral take place?

OP's posts:
Please
or

PinkWisteria · 13/05/2022 22:58

Just appalling and indefensible.

Please
or

NotTerfNorCis · 13/05/2022 22:58

Have you got a link to the video/news story?

Please
or

AnxietyForever · 13/05/2022 22:59

@NotTerfNorCis It's trending on twitter

OP's posts:
Please
or

AnxietyForever · 13/05/2022 23:00

OP's posts:
Please
or

cakeorwine · 13/05/2022 23:02

NotTerfNorCis

Have you got a link to the video/news story?

BBC

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-61437601

Her coffin nearly fell to the floor

Please
or

AnxietyForever · 13/05/2022 23:07

@cakeorwine Yes, her coffin was literally seconds away from being on the floor, shocking!

OP's posts:
Please
or

BarrowInFurnessRailwayStation · 13/05/2022 23:07

Wow, that's really bad. Wtf were they thinking?

Please
or

NotTerfNorCis · 13/05/2022 23:14

Thanks for the links. I hadn't known about this story. Shocking stuff. This in the Guardian: https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/13/israeli-forces-storm-jerusalem-hospital-as-coffin-of-slain-journalist-emerges

Please
or

PanicPrevention · 13/05/2022 23:29

A journalist they murdered.
Then stormed the funeral.
I'm not sure what the aim of either act would be, but the whole thing is a disgrace.

Please
or

Gonnabegrandma · 14/05/2022 01:56

It was terrible but unfortunately not an unusual even in so much as the Israeli forces are often violent towards Palestinians. Shireen Was I afraid of reporting the truth and the idf wanted her silenced . She was a friend of my sons who was devastated by the news. The world needs to know what is happening to Palestine

Please
or

MrsTerryPratchett · 14/05/2022 02:03

PanicPrevention

I'm not sure what the aim of either act would be, but the whole thing is a disgrace.

This.

I'm absolutely stunned. I can't seem to get my head around the murder of journalist in plain sight. Not in a war, just doing the job.

I know I shouldn't be so shocked but it is so horribly barbaric.

Please
or

GoldenLightNights · 14/05/2022 02:17

The murder of this journalist, the attacking of the pallbearers who were clearly carrying a coffin, All of it absolutely horrific….. it makes me just so sad about the world we’re living in…

Please
or

TooBigForMyBoots · 14/05/2022 03:07

Was this a show of strength by Israel? To display how they will do whatever they want, no matter how disgusting? No matter how undignified? No matter how unjustifiable?

If so, it's worked. The world gets it. Shame on the government of Israel. Shame on the IDF.😠

They should take heed of what is happening to Soviet soldiers in Ukraine. Crimes against humanity will be prosecuted and you will be in the dock.

Please
or

Philisophigal · 14/05/2022 04:05

The funeral procession didn't follow the road blocks that had been set up for them and it became a politically charged procession. You are not allowed to hoist the flag or sing the national anthem or chant politically motivated words. They knew this and did it anyway. It was the "mourners" who turned it into a circus.

But of course, Israel = bad.

Please
or

MrsTerryPratchett · 14/05/2022 05:01

You are not allowed to hoist the flag or sing the national anthem or chant politically motivated words.

Can you sing your national anthem? Can you wave a flag? Can you say what you like, politically? Would you feel anything if you weren't allowed to do so? After the murder of a middle-aged, female journalist just happened. Say someone shot Kate Adie in the street.

In this case Israeli forces were bad. I don't know how you can see it any other way. And I'm not one of those lefties BTW. But this was dreadful.

Please
or

DashboardConfessional · 14/05/2022 05:21

Philisophigal

The funeral procession didn't follow the road blocks that had been set up for them and it became a politically charged procession. You are not allowed to hoist the flag or sing the national anthem or chant politically motivated words. They knew this and did it anyway. It was the "mourners" who turned it into a circus.

So the response should be stun grenades, beating and kicking? Their excuse was that the crowd was "throwing rocks" but they ran straight at the pallbearers who, funnily enough, had both hands full.

Please
or

Clymene · 14/05/2022 05:48

Philisophigal

Yep, Israel equals bad. You got that bit right at least.

Please
or

FairyCakeWings · 14/05/2022 06:49

Isreal does not = bad. The Israeli army however is an aggressive and nasty force, and in this and many other cases, they are bad.

Being from Israel means the western world turns a blind eye.

Please
or

daretodenim · 14/05/2022 06:59

I'm worried this thread is going to get pulled so let's be clear: Israeli police/army work on behalf of the Israeli government. Just like the British police and military do for the British.

It's perfectly possible to criticise the actions of the British police (think what The Met has been in the news for) and not like the Tory party and not hate Brits, or their existence. Doesn't make someone who does so a hater of Brits like, say, ISIS-sympathisers.

So criticism of the IDF/Israeli government is not inherently anti-Semitic. It's possible for anti-Semites to criticise Israeli too though, just like, say ISIS-sympathisers, but one thing doesn't automatically equal the other.

Please
or

Indicatrice · 14/05/2022 07:00

Philisophigal

Are you saying Israel does not allow Israeli flags to be hoisted, Israeli national anthem to be sang, or pro-Israeli words to be chanted either?

Please
or

Indicatrice · 14/05/2022 07:01

Israeli targeting to kill journalists they don’t like is nothing new, so targeting their funerals seems de rigueur.

Please
or

TheGratefulBread · 14/05/2022 07:05

PanicPrevention

You know better than the Palestinian pathologist who carried out the autopsy do you, to make the statement Israeli forces murdered her?

The autopsy was unable to conclude if she was killed by Israeli forces or Palestinian militants - they both use this calibre of bullet - so the bullet has been sent off for further analysis.

But sure, let's blame it on Israel, when the full investigation has yet to be concluded.

Please
or

Indicatrice · 14/05/2022 07:09

@TheGratefulBread the chances of the Palestinians killing an Al Jazeera journalist are nil.

Whereas Israel has deliberately targeted journalists in the past.

Please
or

daretodenim · 14/05/2022 07:10

So we are supposed to believe that Palestinians killed Sherine and the pallbearers were skilled enough to carry the body of their loved one while throwing stones at police?

Aye right.

Please
or

TheGratefulBread · 14/05/2022 07:21

There is always the possibility of a stray bullet.

My point is though, none of us know for sure, we weren't there. We aren't carrying out the investigation. Perhaps best to wait for the investigation to conclude.

However, that's never an option with Israel, people just want to attack without evidence.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.