My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Alcohol support

Day 1 for anyone just starting out

989 replies

Justdonthavethefirstone · 02/08/2020 13:58

Hi all. This is my day 1. I have joined some other threads for support but thought I would start a new one for anyone just starting out on this journey. I have a drink problem. It got worse over lockdown.i have had day 1 before and failed but this time I am starting off prepared. I have books to read. I have joined Mumsnet for support and have told my family and friends.

OP posts:
Ynwa12345 · 16/08/2020 06:56

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OrchidJewel · 16/08/2020 07:36

Ymna get back on it and stick to it. Don't let him or stress make you relent. Your stronger than that You will gain so much more respect for yourself and will be able to confront him much more confidently. I thought Craig Beck's book was brilliant. I've just started half those vitamins he has suggested (tres expensive all in one go) so got B12 (brain) and Omega 3 (again brain). Is your DH a problem drinker?

I didn't get my glass yesterday, I want it to be amazing and Woodies or Home Store had nothing. You have to share yours Noel from Amazon.

So 4th weekend here nearly done. Thrilled with myself (secretly of course). I'm doing much more with the kids, I got my bike fixed and took all 4 out yesterday. I was so proud of my boy (8) who has SN and thought he would never be able to cycle (I worked on that over lockdown) and now after thinking all these years we will never be able to go out as a family like that.(youngest is 4 so I've also had a baby or toddler) We did it. I sent a million photos to family

I think I'll down load the sober diaries for this week's read and I'll look up Mrs D Rupert

Lashing cats and dogs here today.

How many days for everyone now?

Ynwa12345 · 16/08/2020 09:22

Ynwa12345 · 16/08/2020 09:23

noel66 · 16/08/2020 10:29

Wow orchid we sound really similar! I have a sen 8yr to(well nearly 9) also my 13yr is sen. Both high functioning. 4th weekend is amazing well done! Today is my day 14😊ynwa you can do this. You will feel so much better and we are all here to support each other.

Rupertpenrysmistress · 16/08/2020 17:12

Hi everyone. I am day 14 too Noel orchid that sounds amazing I really want to start cycling might save the money I would have spent in wine. Ynwa I am sorry you are having a horrible time, I remember those 3am wake ups just awful. Pick yourself up and go again, you are not an awful mum I remember the hate I directed at myself Including being an awful mum, I now feel strong and confident, it's strange how alcohol depletes your self worth.
Mrs D is fab I struggle to concentrate on reading at the moment so listen to books on audible you can get 1 free with a 30 day trial, might be worth listening to, I feel it Impacts me more when listen especially if it's the author reading it.

Tomorrow is a new day to start again.

Ynwa12345 · 16/08/2020 17:50

Ynwa12345 · 16/08/2020 18:54

Ynwa12345 · 17/08/2020 07:14

Rupertpenrysmistress · 17/08/2020 08:21

ynwa glad you are feeling positive today, well done for getting to day 2. I didn't sleep at all last night which is annoying as my sleep has been really good lately.

Just started on Craig Beck's book,so far so good.

noel66 · 17/08/2020 08:56

Well done ynwa! I love small treats like a new notebook or diary 🙂oh no Rupert that must be really annoying when your sleep had been so good. Day 15 for me and honestly feeling so positive and well.

Ynwa12345 · 17/08/2020 09:19

OrchidJewel · 17/08/2020 11:02

I think you were right driving off ymna sod the DH, it's so tough isn't it. Roll on school, my lot going back on 26th here. Skid marks on the driveway

Noel gosh we are very similar

Congrats Rupert and Noel on your 14 and 15 days. Sleep really does seem to be the biggest problem. I'm conking out most nights. It does get better

I'm reading Adam Kay's, This is going to hurt' the life of a Junior Doctor. It's very funny if not eye opening. Anyway he was treating a 70 year old women for alcolohism. The conversation went like this

Dr: how much wine do you drink per day?
Lady: about three bottles on a good day
Dr: ok and on a bad day?
Lady: on a bad day I only manage one

I laughed out loud at this

Ynwa12345 · 17/08/2020 11:58

Ynwa12345 · 17/08/2020 11:59

OrchidJewel · 18/08/2020 11:02

Ymna it sounds a bit like our relationship. Communication very poor, both taking offence to everything the other says. I have agreed to get a bench he wants (he thinks kids will be lined up in a row doing homework Grin) pissing myself laughing as he has never done homework and I have to separate them. Anyway he has agreed to do homework if we get the bench. So I've nodded along accordingly and CAN'T WAIT to see him deal with it. It really cheered me up

Rupert, it's lashing here the last few days but can't wait to go on bikes. I fly down in the bike to local shops and feel so free. Get on the saddle again :)

How's everyone doing? Sent DH off to source some fever tree and plain tonic. Something to look forward to at 6

How's everyone coping?

noel66 · 18/08/2020 11:08

Me and dh had our first week of marriage course last night. It actually went really well. Think it's going to help us communicate better. Day 16 for me and feeling pretty good tbh.

noel66 · 18/08/2020 11:09

Ynwa will check out that drink when I go shopping 🙂

Ynwa12345 · 18/08/2020 11:21

noel66 · 18/08/2020 14:13

It's 2 hour sessions so kids would need to be out the way which could prove tricky but worth it if you can.Luckily we also have an older child who can look after ours for us for short periods. Not sure what assessment you would be getting for your child but for our asd assessment it was a 2 year wait😯but our area is particularly bad for this apparently. Hope you manage to get some help with the behaviour. I'm also eating (far to much chocolate Blush)

OrchidJewel · 19/08/2020 06:06

Fair play to you Noel that sounds terrific. We have to go soon. My fear is if they ask us what we like about each other in 3 words (or something, I have that unreasonable conversation in my head) And congratulations on day 16 past the 2 week mark

Wow ymna that sounds so tough. Waiting lists are disgraceful and private costs ridiculous. It's awful replaying births that had an effect. Hope you get to the bottom of it all. I still relive the horror of SNs birth but my counselling and pals in the same situation have helped hugely

New lockdown restrictions here sadly. I'm off to work early yippee I don't have to see a kid. I'm currently the only one in the office (I'm essential in a very non important office role that does not even remotely save lives except my own sanity)

DH didn't come home with the bench. Think he saw sense. I'm very disappointed 😂

He also came home with 25c tonic instead of my Schweppes 2eu one. There were words!

Feeling good and positive. Don't cave YMNA you will get through the difficuties

Ynwa12345 · 19/08/2020 06:18

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

OrchidJewel · 19/08/2020 06:31

Delighted your getting you tooth done. Have you any Xanax? It's honestly not that bad. Dentists have improved so much. You won't know yourself, it will be a relief.

It would be great if you DH stopped too. Mine won't drink around me, but he is loving it. Funny thing, we ran out of tea bags the other night. He said there were some in the car from the holiday (bloody tetleys not Lyons gold blend) anyway I had been in his boot a few days earlier and saw a half drunk bottle of red wine (again left overs) I picked up the tea bags. DH was standing at the front door obviously checking I only had the tea bags. It went in spoken Grin I wasn't even tempted.

Cases have risen from virtually none here to over 500 in a week. They locked down 3 counties (not mine) but sadly no one taking it seriously. One wedding seemingly spread it like wildfire. It's all the 20s and 30 year olds thinking they are invincible ruining it.
One pub went viral, people standing on the bar with staff pouring spirits into their gobs grrr. 19 new deaths

I bought aggggheeesss ago the book 'how to talk so kids will listen etc etc. I'm going to start it. I'll keep you posted.

Pecker up ymna day 4 and counting :)

noel66 · 19/08/2020 08:07

Well done ynwa on 4 days! Hope the tooth extraction goes well. Oh no orchid to the new restrictions ☹️so frustrating when you see people not taking it seriously!

Ynwa12345 · 19/08/2020 10:50

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.