My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Alcohol support

Day 1 for anyone just starting out

989 replies

Justdonthavethefirstone · 02/08/2020 13:58

Hi all. This is my day 1. I have joined some other threads for support but thought I would start a new one for anyone just starting out on this journey. I have a drink problem. It got worse over lockdown.i have had day 1 before and failed but this time I am starting off prepared. I have books to read. I have joined Mumsnet for support and have told my family and friends.

OP posts:
noel66 · 12/08/2020 21:07

Well done orchid! I'm so so hot I'm just sipping water🥵wish we would have a thunderstorm to freshen it up a bit!

Ynwa12345 · 12/08/2020 21:30

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OrchidJewel · 14/08/2020 08:07

Thanks for the tips folks. Going to treat myself to a few nice products at the weekend. I haven't been able to find my hand bag since lockdown, it's a mystery where it is, so my pockets and arms are full so my 30 day treat (next Thursday hopefully) will be a new bag. Chocolate is a definite for me, if the kids don't find it.

Funny it was normally bottles and glasses of wine stashed everywhere, my back passage where my washing machine is a big favourite, 6pm glass of ice, out the back to 'do the clothes' pour the white, hide in the box of fairy!!! Now it's chocolate Smile

Anyway, beat get my ass off the sofa and go to work.

How's everyone doing? (Rupert and Noel) I'm following you around on the other thread Grin

Rupertpenrysmistress · 14/08/2020 08:53

Morning orchid I did see you on another thread, sounds like you are doing really well, I love seeing how positive people feel when sober. It really makes me want to keep going.

Let us know what treats you get.

Ynwa12345 · 14/08/2020 09:26

noel66 · 14/08/2020 10:05

Great tip orchid! I've treated myself to a special glass for my soft drinks😁and have been eating chocolate as evening treat(not good but better than wine) ha yes saw you on the other thread! Day 12 for me.

PantsToThis · 14/08/2020 16:37

So I fell off the wagon last night. The excuse? A'level results (ie any excuse would have done yesterday). Don't do it people! I felt awful in the night, woke up at 3 with a terrible headache and felt like I'd really let myself down. It's just not worth it. I'm trying not to beat myself up and I'm going to learn from it. Nothing beats the clearheadedness and self respect that comes from not drinking. Another day 1 for me Sad
Well done to every one else, you're all doing great.

Ynwa12345 · 14/08/2020 17:43

PantsToThis · 14/08/2020 17:51

A'levels were good, I was "celebrating" but TBH I'd have used absolutely anything as a justification yesterday. Back on it now though.

OrchidJewel · 14/08/2020 18:10

Pants mine are too young yet but I can imagine after years and years of supporting your child through school it would warrant a bevvie Smile. Well done to your daughter. Hope she goes on to great things. Chat down and back on that horse ;)

Oh a new glass is a great idea. I have a crack in my big wine glass (for tonic)

I bumped into an acquaintance (from dds school) know her just to chat loosly too. Very wholesome (or so I thought!) Said I was off the sauce, well so is she she!!! Even described herself as a hardened drinker. I was speechless, so I have a partner in crime to text. We are already sharing soft drink tips Smile you just never truly know someone. Never would have expected that from her

Another revelation. For months I had tufts of grey hair at my frjnge (and the back) anyway IT HAS STOPPED growing grey the last few. Seems to be a think with drink.

DH has just arrived back with the other 2 kids Angry peace over

anxietrist · 14/08/2020 18:25

Good luck to all of you ❤️
I'm day 327 and it only gets better so keep going!

OrchidJewel · 14/08/2020 19:14

Thanks anxietrist, that's very encouraging. What a feat

noel66 · 14/08/2020 22:25

Don't beat yourself up pants. I can understand you'd want a celebratory drink. Just start fresh with it in your mind that it made you feel bad. That's great you've got someone to message orchid🙂you guys are my support as all my family and friends are drinkers. I love my new glass😁it's made my soft drinks feel special. It's not a wine glass as I've tried having soft drinks in a wine glass in the past but that just makes me fancy a wine all the more!

noel66 · 14/08/2020 22:26

Wow anxie that's an amazing achievement! Well done!

Ynwa12345 · 15/08/2020 16:26

OrchidJewel · 15/08/2020 17:59

Ah no ymna, I think lockdown has brought an awful lot of things to the surface. Even if they have been happening before, it's just made people weird and angry stuck in the one place.with the same people Me and DH aren't great either but since not drinking I've gained a lot of confidence to not stand for his lazy shit and I'm determined to get through it and get us back in track. But he doesn't ever raise his voice or shout at me. And I think if he did I'd open a bottle. Be strong ymna Can you identify/pinpoint the reason he does this? I'm currently quietly analysing and I have definitely found things. Complete lack of focus on anyone but himself and then suddenly he launches into being a parent which is too late then (we are getting into the car) that sort of crap.

Anyway, I'm shite at advice. Just try work out is he worth it?

noel66 · 15/08/2020 18:17

Ynwa I'm so sorry to hear you are having such a difficult time. I agree with orchid that a lot of things have come to the surface during lockdown and I'm very similar in that since not drinking I'm more comfortable raising things with my husband as I feel I can put my side across more efficiently however he doesn't shout at me and I'm sure I'd want a drink if he did. We are starting an online marriage course on Monday which I'm really hoping will help. Give your 7 year old a cuddle and maybe watch a movie together to take their mind off things? I'm terrible at advice! Hope things get better for you.

Ynwa12345 · 15/08/2020 18:35

PantsToThis · 15/08/2020 19:56

@Ynwa1234 so sorry to hear you're having a hard time. I agree with others, lockdown has brought a lot of things to the surface and you can't get away from each other. We've certainly been fighting (even) more! Hope you are ok.
@anxietrist success stories like yours really inspire me, thanks for posting Smile
@OrchidJewel @noel66 hope you're both well.
Dinner over and 3 Becks Blues drunk here, so all good.

PantsToThis · 15/08/2020 20:04

Forgot to say hi to you @Rupertpenrysmistress, how rude!

noel66 · 15/08/2020 20:05

I'm doing ok thanks pants☺️drinking a nice lemon and mint drink(Tesco finest lol)in my lovely glass. Glad your doing well and enjoying your becks blue. Ynwa, it took a while for him to agree to the counselling but so pleased he has now. Hoping it will help us to communicate more efficiently and understand each other a bit better.

Rupertpenrysmistress · 15/08/2020 21:05

Ynwa I am so sorry to hear what you are going through, I can see.why you had a drink, I would have done to. I feel fortunate that my DH is fully supportive you must really feel like you are battling. As I said to you before your commitment to your children and your sobriety is clear in all your posts. We can support you keep going.

Noel tell me about your glass I like that idea but like you don't want a wine glass.

Hi orchid and pants great to read your updates. How are you drybird ?

Rupertpenrysmistress · 15/08/2020 21:10

Sorry xpost I meant how you justdonthavethefirstone?

noel66 · 15/08/2020 21:50

It's a lovely one I got off amazon Rupert😊it's just what I wanted. It's actually called a stemless wine glass but to me that's just a normal glass and it has a pretty picture of an elephant on it😁a regular wine glass just makes me want wine so I wanted something I wouldn't associate with alcohol.

Ynwa12345 · 16/08/2020 06:43

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.