Talk

Advanced search

Two more women attacked by trans activists

(205 Posts)
ferntwist Sat 28-Oct-17 20:45:11

At least two more feminists have been attacked by trans chauvinists today, set upon while they were handing out leaflets at the Anarchist Book Fair. One is Green Party candidate Olivia Palmer and the other a trade union rep Helen Steel

terfing Sat 28-Oct-17 20:46:26

How awful! Are they okay? Is there anything we can do to help? sad

ferntwist Sat 28-Oct-17 20:46:29

More info here
twitter.com/anokbookfair/status/924328994937495554

ferntwist Sat 28-Oct-17 20:47:14

And here
twitter.com/olivia4hersham/status/924318411290828800

ferntwist Sat 28-Oct-17 20:48:35

It sounds like they are both shaken up but okay. They were pushed, shoved, cornered, verbally abused and threatened by a gang. We need to spread the word to our networks. This is getting desperate.

MacaroonMama Sat 28-Oct-17 20:49:08

Oh the responses to that are shocking! I think I only read one sympathetic tweet back, the rest were all screaming transphobe. Those poor women, hope they are ok.

ferntwist Sat 28-Oct-17 21:00:06

Yes the victim blamers are out in full force. Here's one bragging with the leaflet he stole:
twitter.com/gayjewboy/status/924344927944880128

QueenLaBeefah Sat 28-Oct-17 21:17:48

Some of the replies to gayjewboy are absolutely brilliant.

Why can't TRAs handle debate?

ferntwist Sat 28-Oct-17 21:34:26

I keep wondering that. If their cause is so just and right and true, why do the lose their minds when someone gives out a feminist leaflet or tries to get together for a meeting? From what I've seen on Twitter, they can never give any facts to support their arguments, they just cry 'bigot' or 'transphobe' or throw insults and threats.

HouseholdWords Sat 28-Oct-17 21:38:07

Oh but they don't believe in debate. A former student of mine tweeted me that he was "worried" I seemed to think that transwomen weren't women closing his tweet with #nodebate

When I responded by suggesting that a man telling a woman what it was to be female was worrying - well, silence ensued.

#nodebate because they're not up to it.

Blanchefleur Sat 28-Oct-17 21:49:20

Bloody hell, hope they're OK. How awful.

So, violent misogynist transactivists are demonstrating yet again precisely why they shouldn't be allowed anywhere near women's spaces. Do they really not see the irony?

ALittleBitOfButter Sat 28-Oct-17 21:59:20

So a Green candidate is a gender critical feminist activist? How on earth did she get preselected? (I'm in Oz)

nauticant Sat 28-Oct-17 22:00:39

Some of the replies to gayjewboy are absolutely brilliant.

There's some glorious stuff there. Reading them makes me think that maybe rationality will win out over the book-burners.

ferntwist Sat 28-Oct-17 22:48:51

Me too nauticant, I feel a tide might be turning as more people find out about what's happening and reject it as the nonsense it is. Do other people get that feeling too or am I indulging in wishful thinking?

ferntwist Sat 28-Oct-17 22:49:31

Household #nodebate! The arrogance of it. Young puppy

QueenLaBeefah Sat 28-Oct-17 23:00:58

I definitely think the tide is turning.

Datun Sat 28-Oct-17 23:27:09

‘#nodebate’ is going to bring them a whole heap of pain.

No-one buys that as a sensible concept.

It’s also coinciding with women everywhere saying how they feel silenced about sexual assault, etc. Plus the call to allow free speech and disallow no platforming in universities.

#nodebate was a really bad idea for a rallying cry. Particularly when it’s followed up with violence.

There really is no end to their stupidity.

I guarantee they will change that hashtag.

ferntwist Sat 28-Oct-17 23:35:37

Very much hope you're right Datun - a lot of discontent with the issues you've raised - all seems to be reaching a new level

ALittleBitOfButter Sat 28-Oct-17 23:42:52

While the tide is turning the transactivist allies are digging themselves into a deeper hole with their illogical positions. It's interesting to think about how it will all end up in a couple of years on the left.

Datun Sat 28-Oct-17 23:57:43

Does anyone know what actually happened? Was it verbal abuse, or was it violence?

ferntwist Sun 29-Oct-17 00:07:43

They were pushed and shoved, backed into a corner and had their leaflets snatched from them by a gang of activists.

ArcheryAnnie Sun 29-Oct-17 00:10:58

They are onto a hiding to nothing trying to stop Helen Steel. She's a campaigner that has already taken on McDonalds, the British courts, and the police, and done very bloody well indeed.

Datun Sun 29-Oct-17 00:11:44

TRAs are saying they threw the first punch. Unsurprisingly.

Datun Sun 29-Oct-17 00:12:13

Yes, I don’t think she is to be trifled with.

thenightsky Sun 29-Oct-17 00:36:38

This stuff needs to be videoed and put on social media to show to the world that THEY are the aggressors FFS.

Sorry, I am a lurker on these threads and don't post much, but this has bloody well pissed me off big time. sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: