My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This forum is the home of Mumsnet classic threads.

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Mumsnet classics

Does parking on a closed road count as a live parking thread? 😁

787 replies

DailyMaui · 21/04/2022 19:50

So they have closed the road I live on to resurface it. It will be closed for the next two nights. We’ve had multiple letters from the council, there have been signs up for at least a month and yesterday they painted NO PARKING THURSDAY AND FRIDAY all over the road.

8 cars are still parked there with 15 minutes to go until resurfacing begins. One of the cars is right outside my house and when I saw them out the window, I tried to explain to the two women (looking like they were off for an evening in town) that they were probably not going to be able to get their car until morning but they told me to fuck off!

The road is lorry central, a guy is taking pictures of the remaining cars… it’s all go here.

Anyone know what they do? Do they just resurface round the cars? Tow them away? Do they get brutal? There’s a fair few annoyed looking men in hi-vis walking up and down! Should I get wine and a comfy viewing position?

😉

OP posts:
Hollywolly1 · 23/04/2022 11:12

DailyMaui · 23/04/2022 10:22

I’ve passed your concerns onto our complaints department. Unfortunately, he’s sleeping on his own bed in his own room at the moment and doesn’t work weekends.

He’ll get back to you by close of business Chewsday at the earliest. He’s very dogged and he hopes you will find his investigation a pawsitive experience.

Thank you op very much for this thread I am really enjoying it all,I also adore your dog photo's and I understand as I'm the owner of a monster dog thats also an arsehole🤣🤣🤣

HolyHiVisOfStEvenEdge · 23/04/2022 11:33

DailyMaui · 23/04/2022 10:22

I’ve passed your concerns onto our complaints department. Unfortunately, he’s sleeping on his own bed in his own room at the moment and doesn’t work weekends.

He’ll get back to you by close of business Chewsday at the earliest. He’s very dogged and he hopes you will find his investigation a pawsitive experience.

I think @CuriousCatfish must have been having a ruff day. They were barking up the wrong tree with their comment. Let’s hope the investigation outcome gives them paws for thought next time.

WhyDidNoOneListenToRoger · 23/04/2022 11:43

Have there been any exciting FB posts? Angry people who didn't think the signs applied to them 😆?

IncompleteSenten · 23/04/2022 11:45

I really like the thread. I'm enjoying people who think things don't apply to them being mildly inconvenienced.

I just wish fuck off woman had been spotted staring at the empty space where her car used to be but we can't expect OP to maintain a 24/7 vigil. I suppose.

SanFranBear · 23/04/2022 11:49

Beautiful dog - just beautiful! I dream of a day when we and my pack of Irish Wolfhounds set off for a hike from our cottage in the middle of nowhere where, as is now the law, they'll own all the bedrooms. Gorgeous!

sparklesmakelifebetter · 23/04/2022 11:53

This is without doubt my favourite thread to date, thankyou so much @DailyMaui

It's made me smile and the thought of the mortified teens makes it all the more relatable! Thankyou for taking the time to update us.... the diagrams, the photos and your musings! A winning combination!!!

BruceAndNosh · 23/04/2022 12:00

Jesus!
That middle picture of your dog looks like he's just about to swallow that distant village in one bite

Roo4u · 23/04/2022 12:14

They might only tow them to another street but please god let them get a bill for it

pussycatlickinglollyices · 23/04/2022 12:31

Not sure anyone else has done this so...

@MNHQ - if OP permits (due to photos) would you please put this "fred" in Classics. It's given 2 evenings of perfection, including pics and diagrams...and a donkey dog😹

(and not just to really annoy Catfish)

impossible · 23/04/2022 12:37

Love this thread - cheered me up. Thank you!

Glittertwins · 23/04/2022 12:57

Love the dog pictures!!

DudeWheresMyFuckOffCar · 23/04/2022 13:00

I’m a bit sad the drama is all but over, but it was good while it lasted.

CheapFoodShits · 23/04/2022 13:18

This thread kept me awake during a night shift last night. Stellar parking thread performance OP. 10/10.

BoredZelda · 23/04/2022 13:32

The thread is mildly amusing. Not classic worthy or the best thread ever though.

I dunno. I’m generally miserable about these “funny” threads. This one made me smile. At least it’s actually real, unlike many of the other “hilarious” threads people call for classics.

Ellmau · 23/04/2022 13:41

Your dog has character! Love him.

WiddlinDiddlin · 23/04/2022 13:49

AKAanothername · 23/04/2022 08:53

Bit late to the thread but I'm local too. Allegedly, the reason they changed the name of Wibbly Wobbly Lane was because people kept stealing the road signs.

Well thats a poor solution... People kept stealing the Minge Lane signs near me, so the LA concreted it into the wall!!

WiddlinDiddlin · 23/04/2022 13:52

Glad I scrolled back to find the DonkeyDog pics.. he's a delight, just my sort of hound. Weird seeing people write 'Donkeydog' as that was my deerhounds nickname! He does look like there is more than a smidge of the deerhound in there :D

Blossomtoes · 23/04/2022 13:54

Best thread ever @DailyMaui. Thank you so much. I shall pounce gleefully on any threads you start now. ❤️

viques · 23/04/2022 13:58

Thankyou for the pictures OP. Donkey dog has a quasi Elvis lip curl he has clearly spent years perfecting, kudos to him.

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius · 23/04/2022 14:14

We had a rescue dog who trained us to let her sleep on our bed. She started by coming up at bedtime, having a cuddle then being put downstairs, in her own bed (alongside our other dog). Then she started sneaking upstairs in the night - sneakiness that was somewhat ruined when she crashed the bedroom door open and landed on the bed like your dog, @DailyMaui - a bagful of elbows. Gradually the length of time she left between being put downstairs and coming back up shortened and shortened, until she was racing dh back up the stairs, and at that point we gave up.

She didn't have her own room though - not because we didn't have a spare - we did - but because the cat had already bagged it as his own. He has a nice sofa bed, his own TV and Sky+ box and use of ds3's X-Box. If we have visitors, we have to evict him, and he Sulks Mightily for days afterwards.

Sadly our rescue dog is no longer with us - she passed away at the beginning of 2020 - but we have another rescue dog (a pointer cross from Cyprus) who has taken over her spot on the bed.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants · 23/04/2022 14:46

I'm loving this thread. @DailyMaui . It might just be me, but certainly the first photo of your dog brings to mind the film "Marley and me", where the poor dog sitter shouts "That's not a dog, it's Evil with a dog's face!". Grin

drspouse · 23/04/2022 14:56

I solved Semantle #84 in 70 guesses with 2 hints. My first guess had a similarity of 1.03. My first word in the top 1000 was at guess #3. My penultimate guess had a similarity of 26.17 (561/1000). semantle.novalis.org/

Two hints. My lower words were all fairly closely related and none were too misleading but feeling a bit slow today.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

PunishmentSnart · 23/04/2022 15:09

TulipsHere · 22/04/2022 22:28

Don't you mean angles? Also why does it seem like at least 40% of all mumsnetters come from or live near you op? 😃

I’m from nowhere near OP! Merseyside for me - do I win the prize for furthest away knower of Wibbly Wobbly Lane 😁

Trudij123 · 23/04/2022 15:13

Oh @DailyMaui the dog photos ( and subsequent ones from others!) just finish things off beautifully - Thankyou!

YetAnotherBeckyMumsnet · 23/04/2022 15:16

This thread has it all:
Live pics
A dog
Road works
Fucking Sean
Oh Roger and
Fuck off car

Therefore we are duty bound to move it to Mumsnet Classics. We'll shift it over to the MN hall of fame next week. 🚗🚕🚘🚙

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.