My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This forum is the home of Mumsnet classic threads.

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Mumsnet classics

Does parking on a closed road count as a live parking thread? 😁

787 replies

DailyMaui · 21/04/2022 19:50

So they have closed the road I live on to resurface it. It will be closed for the next two nights. We’ve had multiple letters from the council, there have been signs up for at least a month and yesterday they painted NO PARKING THURSDAY AND FRIDAY all over the road.

8 cars are still parked there with 15 minutes to go until resurfacing begins. One of the cars is right outside my house and when I saw them out the window, I tried to explain to the two women (looking like they were off for an evening in town) that they were probably not going to be able to get their car until morning but they told me to fuck off!

The road is lorry central, a guy is taking pictures of the remaining cars… it’s all go here.

Anyone know what they do? Do they just resurface round the cars? Tow them away? Do they get brutal? There’s a fair few annoyed looking men in hi-vis walking up and down! Should I get wine and a comfy viewing position?

😉

OP posts:
PlantingTrees · 23/04/2022 08:58

CuriousCatfish · 22/04/2022 22:44

The thread is mildly amusing. Not classic worthy or the best thread ever though.

That you bluntness?

MrsReeves · 23/04/2022 08:58

WibblyWobblyJane · 23/04/2022 06:29

I’m having t-shirts printed with this quote. Who wants one?

I'm in 🙋🏻‍♀️

Dailymauifan · 23/04/2022 09:03

Just changed my username in homage to Dailymaui and so that I can be associated with the best parking ever, forever!

OP, your diagrams have set the standard now, anything less will be a disappointment. Particularly loved the high vis, masterstroke detail. Thank you so much for this thread, you gave A LOT of MN's a brilliant chuckle. Kudos to you.

NoWordForFluffy · 23/04/2022 09:05

That you bluntness?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Dailymauifan · 23/04/2022 09:06

That you bluntness?

I wonder? Been MIA a while now...

NormalForNuneaton · 23/04/2022 09:10

AKAanothername · 23/04/2022 08:53

Bit late to the thread but I'm local too. Allegedly, the reason they changed the name of Wibbly Wobbly Lane was because people kept stealing the road signs.

The sign for Minge Lane is at ground level and looks like it's just propped up leaning against a wall ripe for stealing but is actually cemented into the pavement.

I bet so many passers by stop to nick it but are sorely disappointed.

I drive past there sometimes and the name never fails to make me chuckle

LaMarschallin · 23/04/2022 09:21

CuriousCatfish

The thread is mildly amusing. Not classic worthy or the best thread ever though.

The thing is, it really is totally classic worthy and very funny indeed with a properly witty OP.
What's really nice is that the replies to your post have made it even funnier (not a lame old "ODFOD" in sight).

I'm definitely in for a t-shirt, please.

Fraaahnces

Wibbly Wobbly Lane, St Even Edge, et. al. have served as a reminder as to how very unimaginative the “Namers of Things” here in Australia are. We have the Sandy Desert

It's the same with astrophysicists. They talk about some exciting thing with the acronym the VLT and it turns out to be the Very Large Telescope.

LakieLady · 23/04/2022 09:25

NormalForNuneaton · 23/04/2022 09:10

The sign for Minge Lane is at ground level and looks like it's just propped up leaning against a wall ripe for stealing but is actually cemented into the pavement.

I bet so many passers by stop to nick it but are sorely disappointed.

I drive past there sometimes and the name never fails to make me chuckle

My delight at spotting it was all the greater as my late DP didn't notice it, and he used to take the piss out of me for not being observant.

We wondered if it was the street where the knocking shops were in some long distant past.

Upton is a lovely little place imo.

tapdancingmum · 23/04/2022 09:32

Heronatemygoldfish · 22/04/2022 14:10

Does that make St Okenchurch the patron saint of Red Kites?

I thought St Okenchurch would be the patron saint of lost dogs 😃

PlantingTrees · 23/04/2022 09:32

Dailymauifan · 23/04/2022 09:06

I wonder? Been MIA a while now...

Yeah been a few months now…

LittleEsme · 23/04/2022 09:44

Tried to change my username to FUCKINGSEAN but it's already been taken .

Am also still awaiting pic of DonkeyDog

ninnynonny · 23/04/2022 09:57

Cracked it! My lovely lovely great aunt and uncle lived there when I was small. It really is a lovely town. And there is a shop dedicated to me ;)

MadAngryCry · 23/04/2022 09:59

Fraaahnces · 23/04/2022 06:43

I have to say that this thread really IS an utter joy (apart from that one know-it-all, crankypants, @CuriousCatfish person who had a humour bypass when she found out how much it costs to release her car once it’s impounded….).
Wibbly Wobbly Lane, St Even Edge, et. al. have served as a reminder as to how very unimaginative the “Namers of Things” here in Australia are. We have the Sandy Desert, the Snowy Mountains, the Great Dividing Range (not a reach here - runs between the mountains and the desert) and the Great Barrier Reef. Every single suburb seems to have a Boundary Road, a Main Road and a Smith Street.
I want to talk to the manager!!!

Not to mention all the places called Murray or Darling! 😄

Fraaahnces · 23/04/2022 10:02

Yes! Or named after the other cities… Sydney Rd, Melbourne St, etc…
I do quite like to mispronounce Batman Rd when in Melb though.

DailyMaui · 23/04/2022 10:08

Can I just say how funny all the name changes are? I have woken up and laughed and laughed. Made my day. Thank you for the love, it’s been a rough old year so far (illness, covid, stress, teen stress etc etc) so this has been a lovely mood boost.

Anyway, I think it’s fair that the dog gets the final say. We got him as a rescue of undetermined heritage but possibly deerhound cross at around 4/5 months old. He wasn’t that big at first. But he just didn’t stop growing for about two years.

He wangled his own room by being so bloody big that when he slept with us, I got barely any sleep. Not that we let him - but he’d just jump on the bed in the middle of the night, landing his huge body full of elbows usually on a very delicate part of my anatomy. Then at some point he’d dream and what felt like 20 legs would be flailing around all over the place. When we extended we initially called the spare room Granny’s room as my mum (and sometimes dad) was over from France a lot before the pandemic. The dog suffered this stoically, despite slinking his giant, hairy body in there whenever he could. Covid changed all that and now he’s moved in there for good. Takes himself off there, steals any cushions he fancies to add to the bed and at weekends wakes me up because he wants me to go and lie on the bed WITH him for a lie in. He’s an arsehole really.

OP posts:
Terfydactyl · 23/04/2022 10:16

Perfecto thread, even has pics of giant dog. Who is very handsome, please tell him.
Deffo a classic.

daisy46 · 23/04/2022 10:22

cheers Maui 🍷thank you

DailyMaui · 23/04/2022 10:22

CuriousCatfish · 22/04/2022 22:44

I’ve passed your concerns onto our complaints department. Unfortunately, he’s sleeping on his own bed in his own room at the moment and doesn’t work weekends.

He’ll get back to you by close of business Chewsday at the earliest. He’s very dogged and he hopes you will find his investigation a pawsitive experience.

OP posts:
ServantofthePeople · 23/04/2022 10:28

So fucking true. I’m in life for the carbon capture, reprise of old pop music, wordle and mumsnet really.

“Ahhh @CuriousCatfish, dear Catfish - you will soon come to realise that this can be said of much of life. 

And then a slight ennui will settle, like a mizzled blanket, and you too will realise the simple pleasures to be derived (some may even say joy) from a shared love of a "Fuck off" woman getting her comeuppance, a Wibbly Wobbly Lane, sadly renamed, and an ancient child's femur that probably belonged to a pig.”

ohidoliketobe · 23/04/2022 10:36

Stayed for the dog pictures
Was not disappointed.
10/10. Highly recommend.

SouperNoodle · 23/04/2022 10:44

LittleEsme · 23/04/2022 09:44

Tried to change my username to FUCKINGSEAN but it's already been taken .

Am also still awaiting pic of DonkeyDog

I also wanted to change my username to this 😂

ThisThreadIsMildlyAmusing · 23/04/2022 10:48

And to top it all, pictures of Dog, sublime. Thank you @DailyMaui for a cracking read.

PS. I found this thread very amusing.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

SouperNoodle · 23/04/2022 10:50

@DailyMaui please tell donkey dog that I love him and he’s a very good boy

Fraaahnces · 23/04/2022 10:52

I have a twat dog too. She is a giant breed Sausage Roll Vulture who definitely does not open my bedroom door and sleep on my bed when I am out, leaving her fecking hair on my sheets and pillows to stick in my eyelashes and lipbalm. She is not a rescue, but she acts like one, as she is absolutely terrified of dogs - despite her bargearse size. 🤦🏼‍♀️*Please note, also a rabid brush-dodger, as is DD1, whose face is covered.

Sweetpea1532 · 23/04/2022 11:02

@DailyMaui
Thank you for the photos of donkey dog..he's too adorable with his cute little chuffy, crooked-toofy smile😂

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.