My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This forum is the home of Mumsnet classic threads.

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Mumsnet classics

Does parking on a closed road count as a live parking thread? 😁

787 replies

DailyMaui · 21/04/2022 19:50

So they have closed the road I live on to resurface it. It will be closed for the next two nights. We’ve had multiple letters from the council, there have been signs up for at least a month and yesterday they painted NO PARKING THURSDAY AND FRIDAY all over the road.

8 cars are still parked there with 15 minutes to go until resurfacing begins. One of the cars is right outside my house and when I saw them out the window, I tried to explain to the two women (looking like they were off for an evening in town) that they were probably not going to be able to get their car until morning but they told me to fuck off!

The road is lorry central, a guy is taking pictures of the remaining cars… it’s all go here.

Anyone know what they do? Do they just resurface round the cars? Tow them away? Do they get brutal? There’s a fair few annoyed looking men in hi-vis walking up and down! Should I get wine and a comfy viewing position?

😉

OP posts:
ThisMadeMeChuckle · 23/04/2022 00:21

I've been following this thread since it started and finally had to post just so I could say I've posted on the best thread ever.

This has restored my faith in Mumsnet.

Was gonna change my username to IAmFuckOffWoman just to give you all a squeal but IAmFuckOffCar beat me too it.

Great minds think alike.

Thanks for all the giggles everyone.

WhereWasThatFrom · 23/04/2022 00:46

CuriousCatfish · 22/04/2022 22:44

The thread is mildly amusing. Not classic worthy or the best thread ever though.

I disagree. The fact that the OP hasn't over egged the story and hasn't started making ridiculous stuff up is why it's so good. An awful lot of the 'classic' threads start off being funny but the posters get carried away with the fame and start making shite up for all the gullible MNers. It's so cringeworthy when OPs do that.

I like the OPs thread a lot. Extra credit for the diagrams and photos. It's simple, silly and it's actually true.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ it's a 5 star review from me.

HemanOrSheRa · 23/04/2022 00:54

The thread is mildly amusing. Not classic worthy or the best thread ever though.

Thank you for your feedback.

Can you state why that is your answer?

What you have enjoy in previous threads?

Why doesn't this thread meet your expectations?

KettrickenSmiled · 23/04/2022 01:14

I tried to explain to the two women (looking like they were off for an evening in town) that they were probably not going to be able to get their car until morning but they told me to fuck off!

Dunno OP - but DO enjoy the schadenfreude when these 2 losers come back to your road, won't you?

Don't let us down now, we need you glued to the window, diagram-notepad at the ready. I specifically also need a full schematic showing their outraged movements, plus coloured-in angry-face stickwomen.

You are a star. keep it coming Wine

PS ooooops. 27 pages? Oh dear I've prob missed the action. See you on the other side OP ....

TurkeyRoastvBubbleandSqueek · 23/04/2022 04:22

Thank You OP 💐💐💐🍫🍫🍾🍾🍾🍾🍾🍾

DogWithMyOwnRoom · 23/04/2022 05:04

ImTheFuckOffCar · 22/04/2022 22:25

How is this username still available?!

Well, I’m happy I got this username!

OP - just wanted to join those congratulating you on a brilliant thread, and thanks for the excellent diagrams and photos (you’ve made the night of this insomniac…) and you have earned your place in Classics. Everything about this is fab - including all the locals, Wibbly Wobbly Lane, jobs lists, bone in garden etc etc)

I hereby crown you 👑of Parking Threads, and present you with 🏆

particularly love last diagram (but got to say) - I understand the man with the measuring trundle wheel being so happy, but why is camera man sad?
and love the leaf-blower man… you win an extra 🏅 for the best diagrams on MN

THANK YOU 😄

DogWithMyOwnRoom · 23/04/2022 05:14

@TangMustang
”Admit it OP, you are a highly qualified, best thread ever expert employed by MN to soothe all our "Here's a shiny new update" traumatised souls so that we don't start a class action suit headed by Saul Goodman. Admit it.”

I think you’ve sussed it!
although had to laugh when I saw it got deleted/disappeared from Trending for a while… (there is advantages to being late to the party!)

WibblyWobblyJane · 23/04/2022 06:29

I’m having t-shirts printed with this quote. Who wants one?

Fraaahnces · 23/04/2022 06:43

I have to say that this thread really IS an utter joy (apart from that one know-it-all, crankypants, @CuriousCatfish person who had a humour bypass when she found out how much it costs to release her car once it’s impounded….).
Wibbly Wobbly Lane, St Even Edge, et. al. have served as a reminder as to how very unimaginative the “Namers of Things” here in Australia are. We have the Sandy Desert, the Snowy Mountains, the Great Dividing Range (not a reach here - runs between the mountains and the desert) and the Great Barrier Reef. Every single suburb seems to have a Boundary Road, a Main Road and a Smith Street.
I want to talk to the manager!!!

ABrotherWhoLooksLikeHellMugYou · 23/04/2022 06:53

Just posting to show off my user name and express disappointment at the non-Chekhov's gun mention of the brother...

IncompleteSenten · 23/04/2022 07:06

SpinningForVictory · 22/04/2022 22:04

I wonder what is the psychology of car owners who leave their cars and ignore all the lampost signs and the markings on roads and the letters and social media and the neighbours talking about it?

We have it in my road every time there's gulley / drain cleaning - cars parked parked right next to 'Don't Park Here Today Or You Will Get Towed' signs.

I think they are just so stupid and arrogant that they think work will simply be delayed until they return.

Of course, it may also be they simply haven't noticed all the signs.

Which is rather worrying given they're operating a dangerous machine and good observation skills are essential.

TimBoothseyes · 23/04/2022 07:30

That you Roger? Don't go taking it out on the rest of us just because no-one bothered to read your FB post.

QuebecBagnet · 23/04/2022 07:30

Where do,all, these people who have left their cars actually live? Because it surely can’t be on the street or they’d have seen and heard the towers and come running. 🤷‍♀️

CorsicaDreaming · 23/04/2022 07:41

Ahhh @CuriousCatfish, dear Catfish - you will soon come to realise that this can be said of much of life.

And then a slight ennui will settle, like a mizzled blanket, and you too will realise the simple pleasures to be derived (some may even say joy) from a shared love of a "Fuck off" woman getting her comeuppance, a Wibbly Wobbly Lane, sadly renamed, and an ancient child's femur that probably belonged to a pig.

Grawlix · 23/04/2022 07:42

SpinningForVictory · 23/04/2022 00:14

Oxford used to have a Grope Cunt Lane until they renamed it.

I went to a lecture on it many years ago by a Mediaeval historian. He said the Grope Cunt Lanes now tended to be called 'Grape Lane' and similar.

There was one in London too, opposite Bart’s Hospital.

it’s called Cock Lane now Grin

Imonthebestparkingthreadever · 23/04/2022 07:42

Just name changed!

thanks OP, my name says it all!

ImTheFuckOffCar · 23/04/2022 07:47

ThisMadeMeChuckle · 23/04/2022 00:21

I've been following this thread since it started and finally had to post just so I could say I've posted on the best thread ever.

This has restored my faith in Mumsnet.

Was gonna change my username to IAmFuckOffWoman just to give you all a squeal but IAmFuckOffCar beat me too it.

Great minds think alike.

Thanks for all the giggles everyone.

Great minds indeed Grin

mnahmnah · 23/04/2022 07:53

Any idea where the cars have been moved to @DailyMaui ? I hope it’s the pound and not just the next street

Billandben444 · 23/04/2022 08:07

A 5 🌟 thread! A definite classic, thank you everybody!!

SophieSoSo · 23/04/2022 08:21

I have woken up this morning and this thread was the first thing I thought of. What will I do with my days now?

Thank you @DailyMaui, thank you. This thread is solid gold, Mumsnet at its finest and I urge everyone to report the post and nominate for classics. @mnhq you know it makes sense.

I am dealing with a lot of shit right now and this thread has made me laugh out loud for the first time in ages.

You may rest now OP, your work here is done. 🎖🏆

StEvenEdge · 23/04/2022 08:25

I want a blue plaque

WellyStompingWoman · 23/04/2022 08:44

Waves to thread.

Now. Where's my fucking car?

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

TrundleWheel · 23/04/2022 08:48

OP

I have just read all 27 glorious pages and this is gold.

😆

TrundleWheel · 23/04/2022 08:50

I'm also very excited to report that there's a sign up on our road saying it's going to be closed from 8am to 5pm next Wednesday to replace manhole covers.

I will be sitting by an upstairs window with a packed lunch and binoculars and will keep you all posted.

AKAanothername · 23/04/2022 08:53

Bit late to the thread but I'm local too. Allegedly, the reason they changed the name of Wibbly Wobbly Lane was because people kept stealing the road signs.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.