My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find support and share your experiences on our Miscarriage forum.

Miscarriage/pregnancy loss

Dr Shehata advice

1000 replies

Wolfemum · 10/02/2023 08:58

Hello, I am currently experiencing my 3rd consecutive miscarriage and my 2nd MMC. I have been told I will now be referred to the RMC unit but due to my age (42) i think I need to go privately and I was wondering what your opinions are on Dr Shehata? I've heard he has a brilliant reputation but is quite focused on NK cells and less on other things. Can anyone share their thoughts, opinions experiences?
My first pregnancy was healthy and resulted in my 6 year old boy but the last 2 MMC we saw a heartbeat at 6 weeks but then no growth or heartbeat at 7/8 weeks.
Many thanks for reading

OP posts:
Privatemedical246 · 18/12/2023 22:06

@JandL2020 have you had your COVID jab at all? I'm anxious about having it done in case it causes my immune system to go into overdrive or something and affect the baby. X

JandL2020 · 19/12/2023 16:54

@Privatemedical246 i haven’t no. I have anti bodies and had 2 previous jabs. X

Privatemedical246 · 20/12/2023 09:07

Thanks @JandL2020 I've had 2 if not 3 booster jabs so am hoping that will be okay. Just so anxious that because of immune issues it will cause it all to go wrong.

JandL2020 · 20/12/2023 11:43

@Privatemedical246 i understand yeah I was really worried as well. There are a few nurses off work at the moment with covid I really should be more careful really xx

Fisky123 · 23/12/2023 15:58

If either of the 2 pregnant ladies who were at the clinic in Epsom on Friday 22nd Dec around 11am having intalipids done happen to read this and remember the lady with the faint positive test yesterday. I so wish I’d swapped details with you both, really wish you both well and thank you for the lovely conversation. Feel free to reach out directly, I wish I’d suggested number swapping when we were there, but didn’t want to put either of you on the spot. Wishing you both a great Xmas. I have a habit of meeting lovely people at the clinic xxx

Lara8 · 01/01/2024 18:50

Happy new year all. Hope you are all doing well.

I am about to start the super ovulation program. I have always got pregnant fast but since starting all this medication it’s cycle 5 and still no luck! Feeling deflated. My periods have also got shorter and lighter which makes no sense to me. So I am doing super ovulation this time round.

Has anyone had success or experience with super ov and how have you found the process?

many thanks xx

Fisky123 · 02/01/2024 00:30

@Lara8 happy new year, will be starting the SO program in feb. I’ve had 3 cycles without SO and on my third one (Dec) I had a chemical pregnancy so they’re going to review my meds and said not to do SO this cycle until my meds have been reviewed. I feel the same as you, I want some traction. My cycles are very long so SO should speed them up. When do you start your SO drug or have you already started it? How are you finding it? Sending lots of luck xx

Lara8 · 02/01/2024 07:43

Hi @Fisky123 i am due to start it this morning. I am still unsure as I have so many questions that I’ve not got answered. Like does it use up more of your eggs faster (if it doesn’t work, where will that leave me as I turn 40 in July).

Also, how do the drugs make you feel? Im currently on holiday and don’t want to feel rubbish. Also, is there a risk of hyperstimulation where too many eggs develop.

I never got to ask Dr S any of this so feel I’m going into it quite blind. The steriods make me feel manic and I don’t feel I want any more side effects.

What is your reason for starting it? I am tempted by it to try speed things up.

Wishing you good luck for feb xx

Longdarkevenings · 02/01/2024 08:13

Hi ladies, I have done one cycle of SO and had my negative test yesterday ☹️. Bit of a rubbish start to the year. Letrozole made me ovulate sooner and I had to have the trigger injection on day 10 when I had the (usually ovulate around day 14). Found CRP very inflexible about the scan booking and nearly missed the trigger as there was no dates available. Didnt have any side effects of any drugs.

whatsgoingon22 · 02/01/2024 12:05

Hey @Lara8 , sorry I don’t know much about SO but can you email the clinic with your questions? You pay so much money you should at least get answers to your questions and not be left in the dark. Is Dr S on leave at the moment or is he round?
wishing everyone a happy new year and all the very best for 2024❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Wednesdaysotherchild · 03/01/2024 01:41

Lara8 · 02/01/2024 07:43

Hi @Fisky123 i am due to start it this morning. I am still unsure as I have so many questions that I’ve not got answered. Like does it use up more of your eggs faster (if it doesn’t work, where will that leave me as I turn 40 in July).

Also, how do the drugs make you feel? Im currently on holiday and don’t want to feel rubbish. Also, is there a risk of hyperstimulation where too many eggs develop.

I never got to ask Dr S any of this so feel I’m going into it quite blind. The steriods make me feel manic and I don’t feel I want any more side effects.

What is your reason for starting it? I am tempted by it to try speed things up.

Wishing you good luck for feb xx

@Lara8 I asked my IVF consultant about this and he said basically we all still have millions of follicles waiting to ovulate, IVF/SO etc doesn’t use them up as there are still loads however many you take. It’s a drop in the ocean basically! Even my mum in her 70s will have a load of primordial follicles still but the body stops making the hormones at meno and the quality degrades etc so they are basically useless after a certain point. IVF etc aims to maximise the chance to find the decent eggs remaining. Don’t worry about ‘running out‘ of follicles, he said it’s pretty much impossible.

Lara8 · 03/01/2024 09:27

@Wednesdaysotherchild thanks this is really helpful!

I find it so hard to ask the right questions in the consultation and then have loads after.

Lara8 · 03/01/2024 09:28

Dr Edge is doing my scan so I imagine so. Happy new year to you too x

Fisky123 · 14/01/2024 12:15

Hi @Lara8, apologies for the late reply, I’m purely started super ovulation to try to speed things up a bit. I don’t need it as it isn’t too difficult for me to conceive but I know that super ovulation (SO) increases the chances, precision and can make it more likely on a given month. Also my other reason which is my main reason - my cycles are so long. I tend to ovulate anywhere between day 24-42 which means in any year I have less opportunities and super ovulation will take the guess work out of knowing when I ovulate as the digital and strip ovulation tests don’t always work for me, will make sure I know exactly when I’m ovulating and will mean we don’t need to baby dance every other day for like 3-4 weeks without being sure when ovulation is happening. I’ve not tried it before my next cycle will be my first as I had a chemical in late dec so I’m letting the jan cycle go and am not trying this month but they’ve put me in prednisone (I was already on hydroxychloroquine) to see if that helps me. Re the super ov drugs I’ve not heard they cause any neg side effects, there are risks of hyper stimulation or over stimulation which CRP will look out for but I don’t think you feel any different on the letrozole.

how are you getting on? Xxx

Cocoichiban · 16/01/2024 11:56

How’s everyone getting on? Been on Hydroxy for 6+ weeks now and finding I’m ill all the time which is pretty annoying - I’ll take it as a sign that it’s working though

Has anyone switched from the CRP clinic to Epsom hospital? I’ve just heard from Epsom hospital (it happens to be my local hospital where I had my antenatal appointments and surgery for my missed miscarriage) after I was referred to their recurrent miscarriage clinic last July. They’ve asked me to confirm I still want the appointment. Have said yes as I would very much like to not pay so much money privately but wondering if anyone has any insight in the differences in treatment?

jchars7 · 16/01/2024 15:14

@Cocoichiban sorry no insight into switching but I’m on hydroxy after having another chemical on the plan, only been on it maybe 3 weeks or so but haven’t got Ill yet, so odd that I’m wanting to get poorly. Dr Shehata told me I needed to wait a month before trying again but as you’ve been on it over 6 weeks I wonder what he said to you. I really don’t want to go through it all again if I haven’t given the drugs enough time.

Cocoichiban · 16/01/2024 15:50

@jchars7 he said the same that it needs 4 weeks (and I think ideally 6) but timing of going on hydroxy meant I’d had a cycle post chemical pregnancy and would be onto my next at the 4 week mark so could start trying again (no luck that time though!)

Fisky123 · 16/01/2024 18:25

@jchars7 & @Cocoichiban I had to wait 4 weeks with a higher dose for the first 3 days of taking hydroxy so it got into my system quicker. Started trying again 5 weeks after taking it but didn’t conceive that month. Had a chemical over Xmas and like you @Cocoichiban i got my meds changed but I was already on hydroxy so got put on prednisone which I’ll begin taking in my feb cycle as letting the Jan one go post chemical alongside super ovulation. Hope you’re both doing ok xx

Lara8 · 16/01/2024 21:30

@Fisky123
Hey, thanks for your message. I am now on my 10 day wait after my first round on super ov. I have 2 big follicles and then had the trigger. I find the the steriods horrid on my mental health, I become anxious and not myself. So hoping this is my last cycle, as always.

Wishing you well on Super ov. Warm wishes Xx

jchars7 · 17/01/2024 07:04

@Fisky123 @Cocoichiban thank you for your reply’s. I was also on prednisolone before so I’m hoping this time works. Good luck to you all and hoping to hear some positive news soon xx

Hhdxx · 19/01/2024 17:19

Hello,
I wondered if someone could help me please.
I've got my first appointment with Dr shehata on Tuesday and unfortunately I'm having a chemical pregnancy but still testing positive on early pregnancy tests. The line is getting lighter but I'm worried I won't have my period before Tuesday arrives.
Has this happened to anyone else? Can I still have my appointment and will I just have to come back for tests another time if I still haven't started.
Xxxx

JandL2020 · 19/01/2024 21:15

@Hhdxx sorry to hear you’re having a CP.
no you don’t need to have your period. Most of the bloods can be done. I was sent away to get my day 1 and day 3 etc done through my GP when it was the right time of the month. I actually didn’t bother having those tests done because I was doing IVF and not trying naturally. x

Hhdxx · 19/01/2024 21:28

@JandL2020 thank you for getting back to me.
So if I go for my appointment on Tuesday and explain I'm having a chemical, he will still be able to do the NK tests for example?

I've had 1 neonatal loss, 2 miscarriages and 7 cp now. Not looking good for me

Xx

JandL2020 · 19/01/2024 21:52

@Hhdxx so sorry for your losses, heartbreaking 💔
i’m not sure in that case. Can you get to london again to do the bloods? They send a blood form to another clinic down the road after your appointment. I found it quite overwhelming as they ticked a load of blood tests I didnt need or the GP could do. So I had to say…im not having these, the nk cell profile obviously they need to do x

Hhdxx · 19/01/2024 22:22

@JandL2020 thank you. It is like an absolute nightmare.

Do you reckon I could go back for blood tests? Xx

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

This thread is not accepting new messages.