Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Going to university (2019/20 academic year) - wave goodbye to family, say hello to fellow students and key uni staff and they're settling in (hopefully)

NewModelArmyMayhem18 · 26/08/2019 16:27

Previous thread. Possibly a little precipitous but for some of our DC their university start date is only just over a fortnight away. Yikes!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Benjispruce · 26/08/2019 16:31

Hello , thank goodness we have over a month!

Please
or

RedHelenB · 26/08/2019 16:34

3 weeks for us.

Please
or

JennyWreny · 26/08/2019 16:35

4.5 weeks here! Still doesn’t seem long though.

@bringbacksideburns I presume your DS has applied for DSA. I was just wondering if you knew about t was available as you said his diagnosis was recent.

Please
or

Cherryblossomandcornflakes · 26/08/2019 16:45

Two weeks on Saturday for us. Been a lovely ten days since results getting the bits and pieces sorted. Thanks very much for everyone who recommended the ikea bags!

Please
or

FrameyMcFrame · 26/08/2019 16:46

Checking in, thanks for the new thread @NewModelArmyMayhem18

Please
or

TapasForTwo · 26/08/2019 16:46

Nearly 4 weeks for DD.

Well, she is back from Leeds and has just had a mega shower. She said that she hadn't bitten her nails since Wednesday as there have been no taps to wash hands. First thing she did when she got in was wash her hands.

Please
or

ZandathePanda · 26/08/2019 16:48

NewModel thank you for the new thread. They are very fast moving recently!

Please
or

Benjispruce · 26/08/2019 16:48

We’ve just come back from holiday and DD was at Reading so everything’s been on hold. Durham are late allocating rooms (early September)so can’t do anything else really regarding finance until we know exactly how much.

Please
or

Benjispruce · 26/08/2019 16:51

Tapas oh god yes! DD was at Reading on Wed (early bird ticket) and said she hadn’t washed her hands since. The toilets didn’t flush so we’re just full. Gross.

Please
or

ZandathePanda · 26/08/2019 16:51

Tapas did your Dd take up gym membership on the accommodation offer? The gym building is amazing and next to their accommodation.

Please
or

Benjispruce · 26/08/2019 16:52

*were

Please
or

Gettingthroughtheweek · 26/08/2019 16:53

Must be missing something as it’s still very chill here now the key things are done (accepted place, confirmed accommodation, sorted out travel, booked bank and jab appointments) even though DS leaves a week Friday. I’ve discovered the Sainsbury’s in his halls of residence block does click and collect so we don’t need to transport much; we’ll worry about bringing it back next year. What have we missed??

Please
or

NewModelArmyMayhem18 · 26/08/2019 16:56

Sounds as if you have it all under control @Gettingthroughtheweek.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Benjispruce · 26/08/2019 16:57

Why do you need a bank appointment? Should I be doing that?

Please
or

Benjispruce · 26/08/2019 16:58

All DD has done is confirm her place.

Please
or

Gettingthroughtheweek · 26/08/2019 17:01

@benjispruce Only because he couldn’t convert his existing Santander account to a student account without it - no idea why ....

Please
or

Benjispruce · 26/08/2019 17:10

Oh. DD is with Nationwide. Do they need a student account then?

Please
or

Benjispruce · 26/08/2019 17:11

Tapas I wish DD would get in the shower. But she’s fallen asleep whilst sitting on her bed to contemplate a showerGrin

Please
or

icanbewhatiwant · 26/08/2019 17:15

My ds is chilled too. He's in no hurry to do anything else, he's confirmed accommodation. He has an online registration thing to fill out and upload a photo. But he's in no rush. He's working full time so I can see it all being left till last minute. He had an email from HSBC asking him to take his passport or driving license into his nearest branch. I'm going to go in tomorrow to check he can just turn up to do that. He doesn't want to take time off work and be told he needs appointment.

Please
or

Benjispruce · 26/08/2019 17:25

DD may well have done these things and not told me!

Please
or

MrKlaw · 26/08/2019 17:29

No accommodation confirmed - clearing here so waiting until 6 sep. bank this week now he’s 18. No more excuses to put it off. Aside from that we’re there with most things - bought a three pronged clothes horse thing - tall and thin as not much space in rooms. It’ll probably just stay under the bed all year..

Refused a cheese grater and measuring jug but says he needs scales..

Please
or

Benjispruce · 26/08/2019 17:31

Refused measuring jug Grin

Please
or

Benjispruce · 26/08/2019 17:32

DD has to fill out a personality form for her college so they can allocate rooms and that doesn’t need to be in until 1/9 .

Please
or

Benjispruce · 26/08/2019 17:33

I’m steering DD towards dark coloured sheets so that she can at least keep the pretence of cleanliness HmmBlush

Please
or

fiftiesmum · 26/08/2019 17:38

Good idea to take something to cover the mattress such as an undersheet - they are quite often vinyl covered allegedly for hygiene reasons and can be quite uncomfortable - hot, sticky and slidy.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.