My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Could you float down the stairs as a child?

370 replies

EbbyEbs · 09/09/2022 19:46

Light hearted

Do you have a memory of floating down the stairs as a child? Someone mentioned it to me earlier and I have the same memory! anyone know what I’m on about?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

364 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
31%
You are NOT being unreasonable
69%
Twawmyarse · 09/09/2022 19:52

Yep, I had this frequently. Here's one explanation for it:

According to dream psychologist and expert Ian Wallace, who has been researching dreams for over three decades, the earliest published report of the floating dream dates back to 150 A.D. and in Oneirocritica, the writings of Artemidorus, an ancient Greek astrologist. He says the primary reason reports of the floating dream, of which he claims to have “tens of thousands” in his archive, have become so popular among millennials is because of their access to publishing tools such as the internet. He says he has spoken to people born in the 1920s who also share the dream.

Wallace says the dream is the brain’s way of processing a new skill. “I’ve spoken to people who have had this dream that live in bungalows and yet they still remember floating down a staircase – that isn’t a coincidence,” he says. “Nearly everybody I speak to experiences the floating dream when learning a new important skill in their life and that’s because the stairs represent the step-by-step process of your brain turning a procedure into an unconscious process. Once you learn to ride a bike, it becomes an unconscious skill and the floating dream signifies the process of getting to that stage.”

Oysterbabe · 09/09/2022 19:52

Maybe a memory of being carried down them combining with a dream.

Bigoldmachine · 09/09/2022 19:53

I’ve heard this is a very common memory because people are remembering the feeling of being carried up or down the stairs as a very small child, but just leaving out the person carrying them in the memory! Not sure if that’s true or not….

BertieBotts · 09/09/2022 19:53

It's definitely a dream thing isn't it? I think dream memories and real memories get mixed up when you are a child. DS2 (4) often tells us about dreams as though they were real memories and gets cross when we don't remember because we were there. When I told him DS3 was starting to have dreams he told me "When DS3 goes to sleep, he will be gone." He was really worried that he would have physically vanished into a dream world!

Apparently another theory is that you remember being carried down the stairs, before you could walk but you mix that up with memories of walking. People who can remember floating down the stairs, did you live in the same house as a baby/toddler and also young child (primary age)?

TheLoupGarou · 09/09/2022 19:53

My mum always talks about this! She says she knows it must be a dream but it feels like a memory. She says she can remember turning the corner at the top of the stairs and then floating down gently to the bottom.

Ilikewinter · 09/09/2022 19:54

OMG yes I have very vivid memories of doing it, only used to happen at my Aunties house though no where else. Ive never mentioned it to anyone because, well, what do you say!

Hoolihan · 09/09/2022 19:54

Wow. Yes I do have this 'memory' but didn't realise until I read this thread! How weird...?!

As an adult I very often dream of being able to fly/float around the house.

KaroH · 09/09/2022 19:55

I think it's your brain putting the memories of being carried to bed by a parent in to a different memory as a child. That's not the best way to word it but I've had a bad day and it's the best I can do 😂

I definitely remember falling down the stairs because I tried to float down as I clearly knew I had done before. I still remember the look on my mum's face when I said I thought that I would float 😂

Rainbowshit · 09/09/2022 19:55

Yes!!!

humanwinginglife · 09/09/2022 19:56

MsChatterbox · 09/09/2022 19:49

When I first read it I thought of course not but 2 minutes later I am questioning that I think I did float down the stairs...

I did the exact same and now seem to have a memory of doing this in my grandparents! So strange!

girlmom21 · 09/09/2022 19:56

I wish I had this memory but I really don't.

We used to slide down the stairs in our pillow cases though Grin

Delabruche · 09/09/2022 19:56

I can't remember floating downstairs but I did believe I could levitate for years because I sometimes did it just before falling asleep.(Later found out this isn't levitating- it's myoclonic jerks....

carefullycourageous · 09/09/2022 19:56

OMG yes thank you for posting this - I have this memory too, from when I ran very quickly down the stairs - I often wonder what it is all about. It was only at a particular friend's house that this happened (I went there quite a lot).

sunshineandsuddenshowers · 09/09/2022 19:57

I still have these dreams

A580Hojas · 09/09/2022 19:57

Yes. Absolutely definitely yes, I still have a clear memory and I am in my late 50s. It happened in a house I lived in from age 3 to age 6, probably at the younger end of that timespan.

hotchocdrinker · 09/09/2022 19:57

Not as a childhood memory but I had this as a childhood recurring dream.

Sniffypete · 09/09/2022 19:57

I used to regularly dream this and sometimes still do!

RossPoldarksWife · 09/09/2022 19:57

I remember jumping down the whole flight of stairs at my grandparents. It’s very vivid. I often wonder if I actually did. But now reading this I’m realising that it was probably just a dream. It feels so real though.

Dragonskin · 09/09/2022 19:57

Nope, because I'm not magic

Delabruche · 09/09/2022 19:58

Also I want to know more about the haunted stairs @Skinnermarink !!

) < closed brackets from previous post that got missed off!!

A580Hojas · 09/09/2022 19:58

Also our cat said hello to me in the garden of that house. Not joking.

declutteringmymind · 09/09/2022 19:58

Yes going down so fast that you kind of just skated over the last half

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Lovemylittlebear · 09/09/2022 19:58

Yea I had this dream and thought it was real and would then try it but it never worked lol

LemonMuffins · 09/09/2022 19:58

I wish I knew what you were talking about but no, no floating here.

Mochudubh · 09/09/2022 19:58

Yes, up until I was about 9. I could float downstairs, hover on the ceiling and listen to adult conversations/watch the telly.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.