Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To be upset at interview feedback about my hair

Namirya · 20/01/2022 19:32

Got feedback after a fourth interview, sadly I didn't get the job. The recruiter said the company thought I was extremely well prepared, but I came across as a bit nervous. Fair enough - I know it wasn't my best performance, as I got virtually no sleep the night before (DD woke up in the middle of the night, then insomnia kicked in).

Then the recruiter said something that completely threw me off. She said the interviewer suggested I wear my hair down next time as my hairstyle was too "rigid" in combination with a formal interview suit. I had straightened my hair, and put it up in a sleek ponytail with a lovely elegant band. It was raining, my hair is long and I didn't want a frizzy mess.

The position I was interviewing for was quite senior, in a formal environment. I didn't want my hair to be a distraction. It wasn't messy, or unkempt. What was it commented on? It wouldn't be an issue for a man. I am so annoyed!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

mynameiscalypso · 20/01/2022 19:33

Fuck that. I'm sorry that you didn't get the job but I think you've had a lucky escape.

Please
or

user1477249785 · 20/01/2022 19:33

I'd be furious. Unless the interview was for a job directly relevant to your hair, this is ridiculous. You had a lucky escape.

Please
or

Glitterspy · 20/01/2022 19:33

Shock

If you’d turned up after a rainstorm with your frizz in full flow and hadn’t attempted to do anything about it, I could see them commenting that you didn’t understand the formal environment. Not that your look is too formal for a formal environment! Wtf!

Please
or

changeyourname11111 · 20/01/2022 19:34

Was the interviewer a man or a woman?

What a weird thing to say. Maybe it’s a dodged bullet not getting that job?

Please
or

BendingSpoons · 20/01/2022 19:34

You are right to be annoyed! What does it matter how you have your hair?! Unless it was completely covering your face, it shouldn't be an issue.

Please
or

MoonlightFancy · 20/01/2022 19:35

There’s no way that appearance should come into it! If you’d gone in to an interview wearing dirty joggers and a t shirt, fair enough to comment but beautifully styled hair? Fuck that. You dodged a bullet.

Please
or

3scape · 20/01/2022 19:35

Jesus wept. Awful place.

Please
or

redeyedmonsterzzz · 20/01/2022 19:35

Whaaaat! You wouldn't want to work for them! Lucky escape!

Please
or

changeyourname11111 · 20/01/2022 19:35

Also isn’t it actually illegal to not give people jobs on the basis of things like that? Pretty stupid of the interviewer to say what they said and of the recruiter to tell you. What kind of job was it?

Please
or

MrsTerryPratchett · 20/01/2022 19:36

That's dreadful.

Please
or

BiscuitLover3678 · 20/01/2022 19:36

Omgg complain please

Please
or

Frazzled50yrold · 20/01/2022 19:37

Ask for feedback and see if it's recorded on the interview sheets, if it's not she shouldn't be saying it.

Please
or

Cakecakecheese · 20/01/2022 19:37

How bizarre. Surely as long as you're well presented it doesn't matter what your hair looks like? I agree you've probably didged a bullet here and look you're obviously a very strong candidate if that's the only thing they can think to criticise!

Please
or

BorisBooster · 20/01/2022 19:37

Wow ! I'd go back and ask would they make such a comment to a man ?

Please
or

2022booklover · 20/01/2022 19:37

Fucking disgraceful. I was told to wear my hair down “next time”. But that was about twenty years ago and I still refused to go back for the second interview (office job - non hair related).

Please
or

ReeseWitherfork · 20/01/2022 19:37

In all the people I've ever interviewed, I've barely ever consider the way they've presented themselves, even those dressed too informally. Who the fuck cares if they're a good fit for the role. Fuck em OP!

Please
or

GiantSpider · 20/01/2022 19:37

That is absolutely shocking Shock

Please
or

NorthSouthcatlady · 20/01/2022 19:38

What?! You’re best off out of it. For me to comment in anyway about someone’s appearance in an interview then it would have to be extreme. I’ve done lots of interviewing and your hair sounds absolutely fine. If you were a man then l doubt this would happen Angry

Please
or

ItsSnowJokes · 20/01/2022 19:38

I had a comment years ago about my hair at an interview. I have naturally very curly/frizzy hair (think Alex Kingston with a bit more frizz). It's just how it grows out of my head. I was told it wasn't sleek enough. I was absolutely furious but nothing you can do and I thought it was a lucky escape that I didn't gey the job and work for arseholes.

So sorry this happened to you, think of it as a lucky escape.

Please
or

SpamIAm · 20/01/2022 19:41

Yeah that's bullshit. I always tie my hair back for interviews so it's not a distraction and I'm not sweeping it off my face.

Please
or

shouldistop · 20/01/2022 19:42

Oh wow I thought you were going to say you had green spiked hair and you were applying for a corporate law job or something.
What a bizarre comment from them!

Please
or

Clarice99 · 20/01/2022 19:43

WTAF Shock

This would never happen to a man! Is there anyone you can complain to?

Please
or

Flocon · 20/01/2022 19:46

So bizarre

Please
or

Sharrowgirl · 20/01/2022 19:47

Bloody ridiculous thing for them to say. I’m cross on your behalf!

Please
or

BitterTits · 20/01/2022 19:47

I mean, what would they say to a bald man in a formal suit? Nothing at all, is my guess.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.