Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Jack monroe challenged on twitter

KarlWrenbury · 02/08/2022 13:42

Maybe by a sock puppet account Etc but yes- how are they still not making ends meet after all this time ?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Bearyhumcrack · 02/08/2022 13:45

I read that thread and it seems to make some good points. Will be interesting to see the response.

Please
or

KarlWrenbury · 02/08/2022 13:51

the Patreon alone

OP's posts:
Please
or

Poyi · 02/08/2022 13:55

Not surprised, I think people are getting very bored of her poverty cosplaying.

Please
or

hamsterchump · 02/08/2022 13:57

Can someone link to the Twitter thread? Or tell me how to find it? I don't get Twitter.

Please
or

Stabbitystabstab · 02/08/2022 13:58

Iove this description!
Totally stealing that

Please
or

BugsInTheBed · 02/08/2022 13:58

I'd like to know about this. I heard them speak at an event I was at and was really impressed but this was a few years ago. I got the impression she hadn't made a lot of money but maybe that was wrong?

Please
or

PoundPill · 02/08/2022 14:01

Her money might now be assets like a home but she is cash poor

Please
or

SequinsandStilettos · 02/08/2022 14:03

If 94% of her income is on rental (read her blog yesterday). She is renting not bought and on fixed term. At London prices, I could believe she is broke until next book profits come in? Maybe I am gullible. Not sure why her ex (Allegra?) did not have to pay half. As to the tips jar thing, many sites do this including Glinner iirc who is popular on here. I never pay for what I read online, or donate to wiki/Guardian etc but I do not begrudge them asking.

Please
or

dreamingbohemian · 02/08/2022 14:04

I know a lot of writers and I can absolutely believe they have not made as much money as people would think. Royalty rates are only like 5-12% usually and they do a lot of writing/content for charity.

Also from what I saw, the main issue is they had a relationship breakdown and have been paying an insane amount of rent due to partner moving out.

Please
or

CalistoNoSolo · 02/08/2022 14:06

I've thought the same - she is a pretty high profile published author. How can she still be living in poverty? A lot of people seem to hate her, which also intrigues me.

Please
or

BugsInTheBed · 02/08/2022 14:07

I've found this cookingonabootstrap.com/2022/07/31/the-curse-of-the-poverty-hangover-ten-years-on/
which would chime in with the impression of her when I heard her. Someone with a very broken background, poor mental health and "managing" skills. She didnt suddenly become someone stable just because she became better known/
I cant find the twitter reply thats being discussed though.

Please
or

Bigwetdog · 02/08/2022 14:08

She doesn't seem to actually DO anything? Most people would use their profile to earn money - either she hasn't worked to do that or hasn't managed to... She hasn't leveraged it effectively.

But she is earning £30k annually by donations?

Please
or

BugsInTheBed · 02/08/2022 14:09

Ah yes my link is to the blog post that explains as above - high rent (not surprising in london) she cant afford post split up.

It must be so hard to be catapulted into a wealthier sector of society and yet not be able to afford to live there.

Please
or

BlossomsOnATree · 02/08/2022 14:11

I also don't understand how JM can supposedly have so little money. Also, even if it's somehow true, I wouldn't bang on about having bought expensive luxury things previously which might now have to be sold - that's a kick in the face for everyone who's actually struggling long-term and would never be able to do that.

I think JM is always going to be open to accusations of inconsistency, massive tactlessness and saying things that don't add up. But then JM also has, or claims to have, autism and ADHD, which could explain a lot of the issues. Classic example of someone who does themselves no favours at all by being on Twitter though.

Also there's nothing wrong with having money while advising those who don't - it's OK to make a living. Martin Lewis doesn't pretend to be personally poor, for example and no one minds that.

Please
or

Stabbitystabstab · 02/08/2022 14:12

That thread is amazing 🤣

Please
or

SwapPlaces · 02/08/2022 14:13

Please
or

Beetr00t · 02/08/2022 14:14

Love this! I think she's done lots of good but by god is it boring hearing her say she's still skint.

Please
or

Beetr00t · 02/08/2022 14:14

Classic example of someone who does themselves no favours at all by being on Twitter though.

Yes- I don't know why she puts herself through it.

Please
or

MrsDeWinter · 02/08/2022 14:15

From what I have read/gathered somewhere about her, she is very crafty in putting forward her income. She has stated she only pays herself she NMW, but doesn't state what she is doing with the rest of her income I.e savings, investments.

She also claims to work absolutely unworkable hours like 20 hours a day, every single day.

Please
or

dick27 · 02/08/2022 14:17

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or

RewildingAmbridge · 02/08/2022 14:20

If she's so good at being thrifty why is she still do broke?
It's like the weight watchers scam. It's not in their business interests for you to lose weight/save money because then you have no need for weight watchers/jack monroe

Please
or

sarahtalkstoomuch · 02/08/2022 14:23

She doesn’t live in London, she lives in Essex. I think she lives in a pretty big house though and it’s a nice bit of Essex

Please
or

BlossomsOnATree · 02/08/2022 14:23

It definitely is true that you can be a "successful", well-known published author and make very little money from it. Royalties can be a pittance. But that's not all she does, and she does have a patreon too - and has a profile that means she can do articles, appearances, advertising etc.

I thought he relationship broke up a couple of years ago so why would she be tied into the flat for so long?

You can see why people raise an eyebrow. But, she has a history of suing people so if she is being libelled, that should become clear I suppose.

Please
or

Tsandjdarethrbest · 02/08/2022 14:25

I think people often assume that high-profile means high income. It doesn’t. I have an idea how much they will be paid for public appearances and their writing and honestly it will be paltry. In terms of their work, they do a lot of campaigning which is very time consuming. They persuaded the ONS to change their criteria for calculating the cost of living. I have no idea of their relationship status, where they live so can’t comment on that.

Please
or

Poyi · 02/08/2022 14:26

Just read the thread above, so in a month gone from talking about potentially getting a 500k mortgage in a couple of years to taking the light bulbs again and using garden solar lanterns instead, quite the dramatic turnaround.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

This thread is not accepting new messages.