Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

I’m a big family mummy

334 replies

Devonmum2022 · 09/08/2022 13:35

So whist talking to a random mum at soft play she was surprised at our “big family” 9 children (full time custody of 3 step children) l. Never thought of us as a big family lol but ask away

OP posts:
Please
or

User6784097 · 09/08/2022 14:42

How do u manage? How is possible to to give 9 people your attention. I am genuinely curious as I find three very difficult and do struggle with guilt that I can’t give them a lot of attention

Please
or

Fushiadreams · 09/08/2022 14:43

Op, how many bedrooms in yout home?

Please
or

Louise0701 · 09/08/2022 14:56

@JanisMoplin yes it does. She obviously had another 2 after she took on the step children. I was repeating what OP said upthread.

Please
or

JanisMoplin · 09/08/2022 15:00

I simply can't fathom why. Or how anyone pays for this in the current climate.

Feeling faint at the thought of 9 sets of A levels!

Please
or

Isthatarealname · 09/08/2022 15:01

you say you give all children individual attention each day . How? If your working how do you fit time in with dinners , homework, baths, housework etc ?
I have two , work part time ( term time only ) and between the children’s activities and all I mentioned above , I don’t think I give daily individual attention- apart from bedtime

I wanted to ask the same basically. I would love to know roughly what your schedule is like in a day

Please
or

MassiveSalad22 · 09/08/2022 15:07

So this is 9 kids across 4 parents (unless the other mother and the 2 dads have other kids of course), not bad when you look at it like that really. But of course the woman gets all the flack hey! OP, OP’s husband, his ex-wife and presumably the 4 kids OP had before she married her husband have a father.

OP I am interested in your organisation systems and bedrooms too!

Please
or

abblie · 09/08/2022 15:12

I'm sorry I'm actually pissning myself laughing at the comments containing 'better for the planet' give over and take a day off

Well done to you and your partner standing up and taking responsibility for your stepchildren not many do 👏👏👏

Please
or

maddiemookins16mum · 09/08/2022 15:15

Honestly, MN is literally the only place I know where having wains and the environment are spoken about in the same breath.
Back in the real world people are thinking about the tear in the paddling pool, the dried cat vomit on the stair carpet and Celebrity Masterchef.

Please
or

LittleBearPad · 09/08/2022 15:23

JanisMoplin · 09/08/2022 14:40

That makes 7. OP says she has 9.

Frankly 4 is a pretty large family even before the 3 stepchildren and 2 further children

Please
or

LittleBearPad · 09/08/2022 15:24

Honestly, MN is literally the only place I know where having wains and the environment are spoken about in the same breath.
Back in the real world people are thinking about the tear in the paddling pool, the dried cat vomit on the stair carpet and Celebrity Masterchef.

It’s really not.

Please
or

FourTeaFallOut · 09/08/2022 15:27

What's your annual gas and electricity usage?

Please
or

UnnecessaryFennel · 09/08/2022 15:27

God, yeah. Imagine thinking about things other than reality telly, eh? Fucking weirdos.

Please
or

OnlyFoolsnMothers · 09/08/2022 15:30

Have your children missed out on play dates, and extra curricular activities for the sake of more siblings?

Please
or

MarthaMayWhovier · 09/08/2022 15:31

What's your daily schedule like?

Please
or

Lindy2 · 09/08/2022 15:33

Do you work and self fund the cost of having so many children?

Please
or

UnnecessaryFennel · 09/08/2022 15:34

I hope your little one is doing well, OP.

9 kids is my idea of utter hell but hats off to you for taking in the stepkids.

Please
or

itsgettingweird · 09/08/2022 15:39

Louise0701 · 09/08/2022 14:35

@shehesmesloos OP explained she had 4 children and they then took custody of her 3 step children as their mother was about to put them in care. She hasn’t actually chosen to birth 9 children.

Yes then they had 1 more and one unexpected birth when she didn't know she was pregnant!!

But I agree with OP that having 4 (looks like 2 were twins) then gaining 3 more another one wouldn't seem like a lot more. The surprise was probably fun to fit it?!!!!

So you struggle to find days out as a family OP? I know the baby most likely just fits at their age but it must be hard entertaining 15-17yo and a 3 yo at the same events?

I imagine the 8-12 yo would all enjoy the same sort of things?

Please
or

shehesmesloos · 09/08/2022 15:43

OnlyFoolsnMothers · 09/08/2022 15:30

Have your children missed out on play dates, and extra curricular activities for the sake of more siblings?

Yes they would've of course

Please
or

Rinatinabina · 09/08/2022 15:50

Givemeallthegin8 · 09/08/2022 14:25

you say you give all children individual attention each day . How? If your working how do you fit time in with dinners , homework, baths, housework etc ?
I have two , work part time ( term time only ) and between the children’s activities and all I mentioned above , I don’t think I give daily individual attention- apart from bedtime

Me too, I have 1 and feel like I’m juggling everything that needs to be done. 9 kids would probably kill me. How on earth do you give them one to one time? One seems incredibly expensive how do you manage? Are you extremely well organised?

Please
or

ChnandlerBong · 09/08/2022 15:50

Two 12 year olds- are they twins or half siblings?

Please
or

Louise0701 · 09/08/2022 15:52

@Lindy2 she said on the first page they both work.

Please
or

NeverDropYourMooncup · 09/08/2022 15:59

When's his vasectomy booked for?

Please
or

FinallyHere · 09/08/2022 16:01

What would you consider a big family

How many big families do you know

Please
or

ScreechingEchoChamber · 09/08/2022 16:02

UnnecessaryFennel · 09/08/2022 15:27

God, yeah. Imagine thinking about things other than reality telly, eh? Fucking weirdos.

If everyone in 'the real world' really thinks ... dried cat vomit? ... is more important than the environment, then that is probably the exact reason we are all fucked.

Apologies to all of our offspring.

Enjoy the heatwave, everyone. Gosh, it is hot, isn't it?

Please
or

JanisMoplin · 09/08/2022 16:06

In the real world it is 40 degrees in London and children are drowning in floods across the world.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

We're all short on time

Log in or sign up to use the 'See Next' or 'See all' posts by the OP (Original Poster) and cut straight to the action.

Already signed up?

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?