Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

I’m a big family mummy

334 replies

Devonmum2022 · 09/08/2022 13:35

So whist talking to a random mum at soft play she was surprised at our “big family” 9 children (full time custody of 3 step children) l. Never thought of us as a big family lol but ask away

OP's posts:
Please
or

Lily073 · 09/08/2022 17:38

They couldn't wait to get out, get their own space, and not have to help raise their siblings.

I'm not surprised. Why would any child want to help raise siblings? They're not slaves.

Please
or

Vick99 · 09/08/2022 17:41

Can I just check that all the people who are so concerned about the environmental impact of these children never go on aeroplanes, never use the car for journeys of under 3 miles, have no spare bedrooms, are strict vegans and never indulge in buying anything which isn't 100% essential for their survival? Let he who is without guilt throw the first stone and all that!

OP you sound like a lovely mum who has your big family completely in hand.

Please
or

ThisWasMeTooo · 09/08/2022 17:42

How much money do you get from the Gov in child benefits and any other extras which there might be?

Please
or

Girlintheframe · 09/08/2022 17:44

Love the bed pod idea!

Please
or

Ilikecheeseontoast · 09/08/2022 17:45

User6784097 · 09/08/2022 14:42

How do u manage? How is possible to to give 9 people your attention. I am genuinely curious as I find three very difficult and do struggle with guilt that I can’t give them a lot of attention

Same here! Am pulled in 3 different directions and it’s exhausting!

Please
or

glittereyelash · 09/08/2022 17:48

9 is definitely a big family for this generation. My mam came from a family with 16 children I don't know how my grandmother coped!

Please
or

InPraiseOfBacchus · 09/08/2022 17:48

Vick99 · 09/08/2022 17:41

Can I just check that all the people who are so concerned about the environmental impact of these children never go on aeroplanes, never use the car for journeys of under 3 miles, have no spare bedrooms, are strict vegans and never indulge in buying anything which isn't 100% essential for their survival? Let he who is without guilt throw the first stone and all that!

OP you sound like a lovely mum who has your big family completely in hand.

All the examples you've given pale into comparison compared to the environmental impact of having a child

I’m a big family mummy
Please
or

User6372648284 · 09/08/2022 17:51

imo 9 children is definitely a big family. But

I am not sure what others think but I consider over 4 a big family!! But step siblings can extend the family which is lovely!!

2 is enough for me though 😅

I actually have 9 half siblings myself, including 3 on my mums side and 6 from my fathers (he has 7). But I only really grew up with my mums so never really experienced a massive family.

Please
or

User6372648284 · 09/08/2022 17:52

To add, mil is one of 8 I believe. It seems to have been more common to have many children years ago and a lot of people do not these days.

my stepdads dad had 12 siblings I think and his mother 8.

But as above 2 is enough for me 😅

Please
or

Happyandyou · 09/08/2022 17:53

I grew up with 5 cousins (very close to me and my DB). My aunt obviously loves her kids.... but I suspect like all of us she has her own issues she now has 7 kids altogether.

It was bedlam and there's no way you can do simple activities with 9 kids like swimming. Imagine.

The cost also I don't believe your unaware of your huge family hence your post OP.

Please
or

toomuchlaundry · 09/08/2022 17:53

Where do the older ones do their studying?

Please
or

Happyandyou · 09/08/2022 17:56

Lily073 · 09/08/2022 17:38

They couldn't wait to get out, get their own space, and not have to help raise their siblings.

I'm not surprised. Why would any child want to help raise siblings? They're not slaves.

Absolutely I'm one of 4 and I bloody agree.

Please
or

eatsleepeatrepeat · 09/08/2022 17:59

My dad (60) is one of 9 and whenever I mention that to people they are always shocked 😂 I loved growing up in a massive family and I'm sure your kids will be the same

Please
or

Lunalae · 09/08/2022 18:01

Ask... what? I don't see how having some kids is so exciting that we'll all have questions. Like... most of us have kids too.

Please
or

StrychnineInTheSandwiches · 09/08/2022 18:02

eatsleepeatrepeat · 09/08/2022 17:59

My dad (60) is one of 9 and whenever I mention that to people they are always shocked 😂 I loved growing up in a massive family and I'm sure your kids will be the same

But having a big extended family isn't the same as having 8 siblings in the house with you.

Please
or

Wafflesnsniffles · 09/08/2022 18:02

How do you feel about the enormous impact having so many children has?

Please
or

Itwillworkifyoutryit2222 · 09/08/2022 18:04

Lunalae · 09/08/2022 18:01

Ask... what? I don't see how having some kids is so exciting that we'll all have questions. Like... most of us have kids too.

@Lunalae there are 141 posts on here, surely scrolling through these will give you an idea of what people want to ask?

Please
or

OhTheLeetleHandsAndFeetle · 09/08/2022 18:06

I’m sure you are lovely, OP, but you are an environmental disaster. 9 kids and filling lots of non-biodegradable water balloons in a drought.

Please
or

toomuchlaundry · 09/08/2022 18:10

A family friend’s dad is one of 9. Assumed she would have many cousins, but she doesn’t. Funnily enough most of the siblings haven’t had any children at all and those that do have only one or two

Please
or

yougotthelook · 09/08/2022 18:10

Devonmum2022 · 09/08/2022 17:22

if You Google bed pods they come up ( I can’t upload photo thanks to rubbish Wi-Fi but will keep trying). Mine each have a tv with long length headphones, a shelf for their bits, a little night light and a rail at the end for clothes they are wearing the next day and the boys have their consoles. We popped a curtain on them so they have some privacy. It gives them their own space. Only ones who didn’t want it were my big girls

Fuck me there are some miserable cunts on this thread!
OP you and your family sound absolutely amazing - I bet you all have such a great time together x
Please don't take any notice of the bloody do-gooders bleating on...I bet they all drive bloody big cars and go on foreign holidays!
Xxxx❤️❤️❤️

Please
or

KJPrice · 09/08/2022 18:11

I’m actually racking my brains how people on this thread think it’s ANY of their business as to how many children people have?! Big families are very common. I too am from a big family! We all work etc, so what difference does it make?! Absolute FREAKS of the internet! Makes me cringe 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Please
or

wellhelloitsme · 09/08/2022 18:12

The post about happily filling up hundreds of presumably non bio degradable balloons with water after lots of people have asked about the already massive environmental impact of nine children is either goady or shows a complete pretty big lack of self awareness 😬

Please
or

AnneLovesGilbert · 09/08/2022 18:12

KJPrice · 09/08/2022 18:11

I’m actually racking my brains how people on this thread think it’s ANY of their business as to how many children people have?! Big families are very common. I too am from a big family! We all work etc, so what difference does it make?! Absolute FREAKS of the internet! Makes me cringe 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Perhaps you missed OP inviting questions on the size of her family.

Please
or

wellhelloitsme · 09/08/2022 18:13

And I don't know how any adult can not know that nine is a lot of children. It can't possibly have been a genuine actual shock that someone described you as a "big family" OP...

Please
or

Tabbouleh · 09/08/2022 18:14

Is it ok for anyone in the world to have a large family? Because I usually see quite a few threads blaming Indian or African women for the climate emergency, but apparently if it's in the UK, it is no one else's business.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?