Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AMA

Arrested protesting for Extinction Rebellion. AMA

345 replies

Pinktable11 · 30/08/2021 16:15

32 year old woman, separated, one child, healthcare professional .

I've read the posts about XR on here over the last week

Happy to answer anything, but do keep in mind if I'm arrested again today I may well be out of touch for 24+ hours, and longer if my phone is impounded 😁

OP posts:
Needapoodle · 30/08/2021 17:30

Where do you buy your clothes?

How many items of clothing do you own?

MasterGland · 30/08/2021 17:30

@pinktable11 I am an old school green and I believe your tactics are damaging the movement irrevocably.

At the heart of the green movement of old was the championing of less. Just less of everything, for the West. This was done by showing people what was possible. That it was possible, and perhaps better, to live smaller, happier, more fulfilled lives.

I believe this righteous middle-class, smugness that drives ER will set us back.

You are buying into the complete fallacy that net zero can be achieved with technological innovation alone, over ridiculously short timescales. Governments are driving this green new deal narrative and you are cheerleading for it on steroids.
I despair.

Miniroofbox · 30/08/2021 17:31

Op isn’t that bothered about showing hostility to the government when she puts her hand out for her wages at the end of the month is she

PlanDeRaccordement · 30/08/2021 17:31

But I am doing this so my daughter and her generation have a chance of a future

But they do. They have a future. This sounds like you might have fallen for the doomism that has infected XR from the Deep Adaptation misinformation. But you probably don’t care what I have to say, but perhaps hearing it from other XR members might get through?

Here is a link to a great paper where senior members of XR are ringing the alarm bells that it is not true that societal collapse is inevitable, that the planet will be uninhabitable and so on. They are concerned because many of their fellow XR members are believing this misinformation and it’s harming the cause:

www.opendemocracy.net/en/oureconomy/faulty-science-doomism-and-flawed-conclusions-deep-adaptation/

Notthisnotthat · 30/08/2021 17:34

The XR protest near me was such a waste in the end. They stormed an oil rig in the harbour and chained themselves to it. Then it started to rain and they had no coats so got wet and cold very quickly. They also had no provisions so we're hungry and thirsty. They were rescued after about 3 hours, such a waste of emergency services time and effort.

GintyMcGinty · 30/08/2021 17:34

Your actions just turn most people off - making your rebellions are failure.

Why don't you use your next spell in the jail to come up with effective, legal and democratic campaigns?

The environment is important and morons like you are damaging support for meaningful change.

SeaDreaming · 30/08/2021 17:36

Imagine if the public showed the same level of hostility to governments breaking climate agreements as they do to XR blocking a road a couple of times a year. Or to oil companies dumping in the ocean. Or to politicians
campaigning for more airports etc...

I am more than capableof having multiple hostilities.

SnowyPetals · 30/08/2021 17:37

Do you feel guilty that because your protests take droves of police officers off the streets, ordinary members of the public suffer because the police aren't there to help them ?

FiveGoMadInDorset · 30/08/2021 17:37

What are your justifications for

Emma Thompson flying from USA to here for a speech and then flying back again

And

The amount of rubbish you all leave behind

IveGotASongThatllGetOnYNerves · 30/08/2021 17:37

Extinction rebellion have been going since 2018.
What have the protests achieved? How many government or businesses have changed something because of the protests and what have they changed?

MichelleScarn · 30/08/2021 17:38

@MasterGland you speak such sense, however its not tiktok or 'gram worthy enough for the XR lot these days sadly. (I think its absolutely worthy!)

knittingaddict · 30/08/2021 17:43

Yes! I have been very well fed and looked after in custody. A certain number of the police are on our side, and many who don't agree with ER still respect it

Do they now?

RedToothBrush · 30/08/2021 17:44

Do you worry that by taking extreme measures you manage to alienate moderates who otherwise support changes and are extremely worried about climate change?

Do you worry that extreme behaviour can therefore be used to discredit environmental aims in general?

Why aren't you taking the risk of this more seriously and instead building a majority consensus?

Could money spent on policing this be spent on meaningful climate change initiatives instead?

Pinktable11 · 30/08/2021 17:44

@BigWoollyJumpers

What are your thoughtfully considered solutions to combating climate change?

We need to stop using fossil fuel. That's the main thing. There are many different ways it's use can be cut right down. It doesn't matter which way it's done, but it needs to be done.

There are other things that need to change too, but this first and formost
OP posts:
MasterGland · 30/08/2021 17:45

@michellescarn they really get my goat. I am a science teacher, and in recent years the kids have become so fatalistic when I teach about climate change. It really bothers me. We should champion hope and optimism. Doom does not work.

Soontobe60 · 30/08/2021 17:46

@Pinktable11
But I am doing this so my daughter and her generation have a chance of a future

Ironically, the greatest threat to this planet is rising populations. And yet you chose to have a child? Is that not called hypocrisy? Do you believe that the planet will implode in the next 70 years?

MaMelon · 30/08/2021 17:47

I see that the easy questions have been answered and the trickier ones glossed over or ignored completely.

I’m finding myself fast losing patience with XR and other eco causes. Last time the XR lot were causing chaos here in Edinburgh I took a stand and didn’t recycle that day Grin. I suspect there’s a lot like me who are now digging their heels in - this kind of protest doesn’t inspire me to do anything to help the cause, in fact quite the opposite.

Pinktable11 · 30/08/2021 17:47

I'm on the train to London bridge now. I will skim through and answer what I can. When I get there I might have to stop answering. And if I get arrested I might not get this phone back at all. The one I was arrested with last night has been kept. This one is borrowed, so please excuse me not knowing exactly how to use it

OP posts:
Soontobe60 · 30/08/2021 17:47

@Pinktable11

I'm setting off back to the protest. XR is currently holding Tower Bridge. Yesterday they occupied the Science Museum overnight, and a lot of the staff supported them

( Not me- I was occupying my police cell)

Being arrested us frightening and boring. I'll never get used to it.

I will reopen this page once I'm on the train, and answer some more

What is your train being powered by?
Miniroofbox · 30/08/2021 17:49

Why aren’t you answering all the questions?

vodkaredbullgirl · 30/08/2021 17:49

Maybe you should walk there, instead of getting the train.

trappedsincesundaymorn · 30/08/2021 17:50

I'm on the train to London bridge now

We need to stop using fossil fuel. That's the main thing. There are many different ways it's use can be cut right down. It doesn't matter which way it's done, but it needs to be done

Maybe if you walked or rode a bike you maybe doing exactly what you advocate that others should do....so why are you on a train?

beastlyslumber · 30/08/2021 17:51

Truth! Action! Accountability!

Do you understand that those are not political aims? They're just buzzwords.

Why are you protesting when you don't even know what you're protesting for?

And yes, an AMA means you have to answer the actual questions. I guess you won't be able to do that, what with your phone not working properly and not actually knowing what you're on about.

adeleh · 30/08/2021 17:51

@Cam77

Imagine if the public showed the same level of hostility to governments breaking climate agreements as they do to XR blocking a road a couple of times a year. Or to oil companies dumping in the ocean. Or to politicians campaigning for more airports etc... I find the level of anger and hatred toward XR quite fascinating from a psychological point of view, I expect future historians will also. I don't agree with every action by XR but find the level of hatred aimed at them completely bizarre and out of proportion. Of course a lot of it is whipped up by MSM which has a vested financial interest in keeping the abuse of the planet continuing for as long as possible.

I agree with this.
I wish the public did show the same level of hostility to governments that only pay lip service to acting, and who will get away with it, because the public will let them.
MichelleScarn · 30/08/2021 17:52

So you're basically going out with plan to be arrested again? Sod all the things that actually need police intervention...
Absolute arseholery!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.