Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AMA

Arrested protesting for Extinction Rebellion. AMA

345 replies

Pinktable11 · 30/08/2021 16:15

32 year old woman, separated, one child, healthcare professional .

I've read the posts about XR on here over the last week

Happy to answer anything, but do keep in mind if I'm arrested again today I may well be out of touch for 24+ hours, and longer if my phone is impounded 😁

OP posts:
ThreeWitches · 30/08/2021 17:06

I was arrested for locking myself to street furniture to close a road

Pathetic.

Unsure33 · 30/08/2021 17:06

So what exactly is your tangible measure that your type of protest is actually making any difference at all ? Except for being disruptive and annoying .

Pinktable11 · 30/08/2021 17:08

I'm setting off back to the protest. XR is currently holding Tower Bridge. Yesterday they occupied the Science Museum overnight, and a lot of the staff supported them

( Not me- I was occupying my police cell)

Being arrested us frightening and boring. I'll never get used to it.

I will reopen this page once I'm on the train, and answer some more

OP posts:
PlanDeRaccordement · 30/08/2021 17:08

@Pinktable11
Because that's been done for decades, and had no tangible result

That is not true. No tangible result? Are there not emissions laws for everything from cars to industry? Are there no clean air and clean water and other environmental protection laws? The environment is FAR cleaner now than even a decade ago. Do you know that the 1987 ban on CFCs mean the planet is 1.5C cooler than it would have been? Did you know China’s CO2 per capita is HALF that of the US? And the U.K. contributes less than 1% of CO2 emissions? That the EU has committed to and has made progress on reducing CO2 emissions since the 1990s? No tangible result, sorry but that is a lie being fed to you. Do some actual research into the green movement, how it’s been around since the 1950s and the progress we have already made.

MasterGland · 30/08/2021 17:09

See, the truth thing is quite interesting. I would say that ER have arisen in an era where most governments are "truthful" about the impacts and importance of climate change.

What people are not being truthful about, and I include ER and other neo-green orgs in this, is how it can be tackled.

Do you believe net zero can be achieved by 2025?

MurielSpriggs · 30/08/2021 17:09

@Pinktable11

I'm setting off back to the protest. XR is currently holding Tower Bridge. Yesterday they occupied the Science Museum overnight, and a lot of the staff supported them

( Not me- I was occupying my police cell)

Being arrested us frightening and boring. I'll never get used to it.

I will reopen this page once I'm on the train, and answer some more

Thanks, an interesting thread, and I greatly admire your patience and forbearance in participating Grin

Keep up the good work please.
Arcadia · 30/08/2021 17:10

No questions, but I cannot believe the almost unilateral hostility towards XR on Mumsnet.
Good luck OP.

1forAll74 · 30/08/2021 17:10

Nothing is really achieved by all these protest things. The blocking of many important road systems, the general public, businesses, and the police, must be well and truly tired of all this manic protest stuff. Do not any of the many people involved,have jobs to go to. I forgot to mention all the litter and garbage they leave also.

MazyontheDipper · 30/08/2021 17:10

@Miniroofbox

Your protests have completely turned me off from your aims.

How do you feel about that?

Me too.

Whenever I see you lot on of of your little protests, I deeply desire a fucking great water canon.
IveGotASongThatllGetOnYNerves · 30/08/2021 17:11

What do you personally do, day in day out, to help the planet?
Do you fly?
Drive?
Buy things not made locally?
Etc.

Do you think that pissing off the general public, causing them inconvenience and money will make them more likely to listen to you?

PlanDeRaccordement · 30/08/2021 17:12

@Pinktable11

We need XR. AND everyone else. We can't do it alone, and other groups can't do it without our weight on their end of the seesaw with them

Rubbish. I’ve been involved in green activism my whole life and we don’t need XR at all. You are doing more harm than good for the cause with your criminal and selfish tactics.
ElizaDarcysDeeds · 30/08/2021 17:13

So many questions:

1. were you protesting in a different country or in the UK because some of your posts don't sound like the UK protests?

2. when did you become interested in environmental issues? And if ER is your first campaign, how much research did you do on previous and other campaigning groups before supporting them? Because having been involved in protests for years, I don't know any serious campaigners who rate ER.

3. why do you think creating and contributing to traffic congestion is a valid environmental protest?

4. why do you think inconveniencing the general public will change government policy? You're not inconveniencing policy makers to an extent that they will listen to you. Your method of protesting is counterproductive on gaining support from the public or policy makers - is it just performative?
GinIronic · 30/08/2021 17:14

Were you charged with any offences? Are you not worried about future DBS checks?

Soubriquet · 30/08/2021 17:15

I wouldn’t want to do anything that would risk me bringing up my children

You’re a fool if you think this sort of protesting now days will do anything except lose your job and custody of your child.

We aren’t in the days of the suffragettes now.

Social media has a lot more oomph than protesting on the streets does

Snowpatrolling · 30/08/2021 17:15

Why did you lot feel it was acceptable to block the main road to a hospital in Bristol, meaning ambulances couldn’t get through, and also causing a poor man not to get to his dying after in time??

topcat2014 · 30/08/2021 17:15

I genuinely have no time for any protestors of any kind and resent the fact that taxes are paid to cover all the upheaval.

I know the media would all say we are kind of 'on your side' but some of us are genuinely not.

Of course I hope you were treated genuinely well etc - as I fully expect you would have been.

How far back do you want to turn the economic clock?

bamboocat · 30/08/2021 17:17

@Bearyhumcrack

A fire warden in WW2? Calling bullshit on 90 year olds getting caught up in your nonsense.

I call bullshit too. My dad was a fire warden in London in WW2 and was only 18 during the Blitz. If he were still alive, he would be 99 now, and I doubt he would be able to stand up unaided for long, never mind chain himself to railings.
saladcreamandegg · 30/08/2021 17:18

Not really a AMA when you don't answer the questions 🤷‍♀️

trappedsincesundaymorn · 30/08/2021 17:19

How do you reconcile using a mobile when the materials to make it come from mines? Also conditions in which the miners have to work? How does it feel to be a hypocrite when it comes to "saving humanity"?

MichelleScarn · 30/08/2021 17:23

Not me- I was occupying my police cell)

Yes we know, can't see anyone giving you kudos for this....

Why are you going on a train? Thought XR were against the trains given the clambering on top last time?

Oh thought to ponder... if an XR protestor is stopped from getting to a protest due to the actions of another XR protest.. who gets the moral high ground? Hmm

blacksax · 30/08/2021 17:24

Truth! Action! Accountability! My arse.

Just an excuse for troublemaking for the sake of it if you ask me. It's always the same with protests like this. The majority of protesters start out peacefully supporting the cause, and it then gets hijacked by yobs and anarchists who take over.

Noroiscoming · 30/08/2021 17:25

What is the ghost pram supposed to represent? I saw a man pushing one through my town centre and placing in front of businesses and backing away. I thought he was crazy/a terrorist until I saw the extinction rebellion badges!

HemanOrSheRa · 30/08/2021 17:26

@Outbutnotoutout

I can't get past the fact an eldery husband wasn't there when his wife passed away in a Bristol hospital because he was held up in traffic for hours because of protesters like you.

You lost any and all support that day.

Same. I live in Bristol and was on call during those days and nights of protest in 2019. When main roads were blocked, protestors refused to clear roads to let people like me and my colleagues through and became threatening. Superglueing and chaining themselves to a bath tub on one of the major routes into the city causing utter chaos, misery and mayhem.
MrsElijahMikaelson1 · 30/08/2021 17:27

Don’t think this is really going the way OP thought it would! 🤣

And yes-it’s not an AMA if you only answer the questions you feel like-you’re supposed to answer them allHmm

Cam77 · 30/08/2021 17:29

Imagine if the public showed the same level of hostility to governments breaking climate agreements as they do to XR blocking a road a couple of times a year. Or to oil companies dumping in the ocean. Or to politicians campaigning for more airports etc... I find the level of anger and hatred toward XR quite fascinating from a psychological point of view, I expect future historians will also. I don't agree with every action by XR but find the level of hatred aimed at them completely bizarre and out of proportion. Of course a lot of it is whipped up by MSM which has a vested financial interest in keeping the abuse of the planet continuing for as long as possible.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.