Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AMA

Arrested protesting for Extinction Rebellion. AMA

345 replies

Pinktable11 · 30/08/2021 16:15

32 year old woman, separated, one child, healthcare professional .

I've read the posts about XR on here over the last week

Happy to answer anything, but do keep in mind if I'm arrested again today I may well be out of touch for 24+ hours, and longer if my phone is impounded 😁

OP posts:
nancybotwinbloom · 30/08/2021 16:30

What do you do on your protests? Do you just sit there?

What happens if you need the toilet?

ThreeWitches · 30/08/2021 16:31

@Outbutnotoutout

I can't get past the fact an eldery husband wasn't there when his wife passed away in a Bristol hospital because he was held up in traffic for hours because of protesters like you.

You lost any and all support that day.

That's disgraceful
COLLIESHANGLES · 30/08/2021 16:33

Can you explain like I'm 5 what ER is/does?

Dbank · 30/08/2021 16:34

This is great news, I can now break the law, providing I feel it's justified, I don't need for everyone to agree we me, or any of those silly laws.

I wonder what I should do? Maybe a bit of speeding, 20 miles an hour is too slow, it takes me ages to get anywhere. I shouldn't have to pay all this tax, I work too hard to give it away....

I feel so free now, thank you.

MichelleScarn · 30/08/2021 16:34

many who don't agree with ER still respect it

Shame ER don't have respect for anyone else's needs or general life.
Yep, don't all those who were impeded in getting to work/medical appointments today have such respect for ER?.... Hmm
Did you make sure the area you were protesting in was cleared of all the junk and rubbish on leaving OP?

PlanDeRaccordement · 30/08/2021 16:35

@bamboocat
Yes, I saw pictures of that. Horrible to destroy a green space that is literally sucking CO2 out of the air. They dug up the grass and then smeared mud on buildings nearby.

Other pointless vandalism was when they spray painted a WWII memorial commemorating the heroism of women in WWII. What could those women possibly have had to do with causing climate change by fighting Nazis?

Miniroofbox · 30/08/2021 16:36

I want to know if the op works in the NHS.

BrozTito · 30/08/2021 16:37

From the way you lot talk you seem to think its cool as fuck being arrested

Pinktable11 · 30/08/2021 16:38

Wow! So many questions. I'll answer what I can. I was arrested yesterday and released about an hour ago. Just having a breather then getting back to the protest.

I was arrested for locking myself to street furniture to close a road. I was carried into a police van and sat there for around 4 hours before being taken to a piece station. The woman I was sitting next to in the van had been a fire warden in the same area in the second world war! When we got to the police station she was not checked in. They just drove her home . The custody Sargent said stop bringing him noctogerians please

OP posts:
Clearlyunhinged · 30/08/2021 16:38

Hope you're proud of yourself OP and I say that as someone who has been massively concerned about the climate for 40 years - have you or just another bandwagon to climb on?

Libraryghost · 30/08/2021 16:38

Why don’t you clear your republish up after yourselves? That’s not very green is it? Are you privileged and have time to worry about things other than day to day issues?

Libraryghost · 30/08/2021 16:39

Clean rubbish up after yourselves! Not republish!

Miniroofbox · 30/08/2021 16:42

Will you lose your job for being arrested? Are you taking annual leave to protest?

Iusedtobesoooomuchfun · 30/08/2021 16:42

How does 120 tons of rubbish being left at the Extinction Rebellion protest in 2019 make you feel?

Pinktable11 · 30/08/2021 16:44

@bamboocat

Why do you think that distrupting the lives of ordinary folk going about their daily business is going to have a positive effect?

We need to draw attention to the fact that we are at crisis point. If we don't act now we will destroy our own life support system.
OP posts:
SeaDreaming · 30/08/2021 16:45

It always used to make me Confused when the protesters I knew got breathlessly indignant about doing and then getting arrested, charged and sentenced for doing

MadMadMadamMim · 30/08/2021 16:46

A certain number of the police are on our side, and many who don't agree with ER still respect it

No. They really don't. The police are professionally and quietly doing their jobs, speaking politely to you whilst thinking - as practically everyone else does - what total dicks you are.

I don't know anyone with any respect for ER after all the damage they have caused. Hypocritical, privileged, thick, twats.

PlanDeRaccordement · 30/08/2021 16:46

I was arrested for locking myself to street furniture to close a road.

So...effectively stopping emergency vehicles and endangering people. All while causing a traffic jam, which means each car, bus, lorry in the jam will emit multiple times more CO2 into the air than they would have. Congratulations for using a protest tactic that makes climate change worse by increasing CO2 emissions while simultaneously endangering anyone in an ambulance that gets stuck in traffic.

Pinktable11 · 30/08/2021 16:46

@Ihaventgottimeforthis

Is your job at risk by being arrested? How will you continue to support yourself if so?
Do you feel at risk of violence?

Do you honestly believe government give a shit about XR antics?

Yes I could lose my job, but there are several from my own hospital protesting with XR. They would struggle with staffing if they sack all of us
OP posts:
SeaDreaming · 30/08/2021 16:46

@Outbutnotoutout that's disgraceful Sad

girlsyearapart · 30/08/2021 16:48

How did you get to and from the protests?

What are you using to post this thread on?

Would you like to get out of the way of my black cab driving dh who can’t do the job that took him years to qualify for because you lock yourself to things on London streets Hmm

ER do not have my sympathies I’m afraid

PlanDeRaccordement · 30/08/2021 16:49

We need to draw attention to the fact that we are at crisis point. If we don't act now we will destroy our own life support system.

Yes, by all means keep up the public awareness of the environment, but your actions are making climate change worse, not better. You are actively speeding up the destruction by blocking roads. No one cancels a journey by motor vehicle because of a traffic jam, it just results in the same number of journeys but all taking longer and the motors spewing out that much more CO2.

SpeckledlyHen · 30/08/2021 16:49

@MadMadMadamMim

A certain number of the police are on our side, and many who don't agree with ER still respect it

No. They really don't. The police are professionally and quietly doing their jobs, speaking politely to you whilst thinking - as practically everyone else does - what total dicks you are.

I don't know anyone with any respect for ER after all the damage they have caused. Hypocritical, privileged, thick, twats.

This
AwaAnBileYerHeid · 30/08/2021 16:50

Does it bother you that you could be stopping a nurse or doctor getting to work? Or stopping someone from getting to a medical appointment on time and missing it? Your actions don't seen to achieve anything.

babouchette · 30/08/2021 16:50

What do you do to protect the planet apart from protest for ER?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.