Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AMA

Arrested protesting for Extinction Rebellion. AMA

345 replies

Pinktable11 · 30/08/2021 16:15

32 year old woman, separated, one child, healthcare professional .

I've read the posts about XR on here over the last week

Happy to answer anything, but do keep in mind if I'm arrested again today I may well be out of touch for 24+ hours, and longer if my phone is impounded 😁

OP posts:
isettled · 30/08/2021 16:50

How can you justify closing roads and stopping emergency services reaching people in need, stopping people reaching medical appointments/treatments?

Miniroofbox · 30/08/2021 16:50

@isettled

How can you justify closing roads and stopping emergency services reaching people in need, stopping people reaching medical appointments/treatments?

This
JurassicPark101 · 30/08/2021 16:54

People know the world is fucked, for years we’ve been told that if we don’t reduce carbon emissions huge areas of the world will become uninhabitable. Yet still people are flying more than ever, emissions are increasing annually. What do you think your protest will achieve? Do you think people aren’t changing their habits because of lack of awareness? Would it not be better to protest the industries actually causing these emissions, or the government for not clamping down on these industries rather than the general public who are just attempting to get on with their day?

Hedgehog123 · 30/08/2021 16:54

I’ve just listened to a really persuasive podcast with Zion Lights - who left Extinction Rebellion (having been a spokesperson for them) and is still now a green activist who passionately supports nuclear energy as a clean way of getting the energy we need and reducing emissions.

She made a lot of points about the privilege of ER, tactics that turn off ordinary people, demands that are not going to be met and even misinformation from ER.

I thought her argument for nuclear was very compelling, what do you think?

Sirzy · 30/08/2021 16:54

How do you think that blocking roads and stopping Joe Bloggs from getting to work/hospital appointments or whatever is going to improve the environment?

How do you think wasting so much police time is acceptable?

MaMelon · 30/08/2021 16:55

You won’t get sacked - your union will ensure that. Perhaps if you worked in the private sector you wouldn’t be quite so glib.

Why do you use XR - can your organisation not spell its own initials? There are only 2, it should be fairly easy.

How many people are now actively turned off climate change issues as a result of your imbecilic actions?

Pinktable11 · 30/08/2021 16:56

@MasterGland

What do you think/hope will be the outcome of ER protests?

Truth! Action! Accountability!

That's the aim basically. We are tottering on the brink of disaster. We want governments to be honest about the situation, we want action to protect the world and we want transparency about this

The more people who see the protests and go and look things up for themselves, and get the real picture, the better
OP posts:
MichelleScarn · 30/08/2021 16:56

Yes I could lose my job, but there are several from my own hospital protesting with XR. They would struggle with staffing if they sack all of us

So a mature nnnerr nneer you can't sack me, I can do what I want

Fuck me, no one told me of that benefit of working in the nhs. I just thought my blue light discount card was a bonus...

What do you actually do?

Ihaventgottimeforthis · 30/08/2021 16:56

If that is the case I think your actions are even more irresponsible.
How will your family cope if you lose your job & income?
What else do you do to draw attention to our climate crisis - have you petitioned your place of work to implement a sustainable travel plan for example? Do you use green energy suppliers? How did you travel to the protest?
I'm a conservationist with degrees & masters & 20+ years working in the environment sector. XR are a bloody pain in the arse.

Miniroofbox · 30/08/2021 16:57

Your protests have completely turned me off from your aims.

How do you feel about that?

Bearyhumcrack · 30/08/2021 16:58

A fire warden in WW2? Calling bullshit on 90 year olds getting caught up in your nonsense.

legalseagull · 30/08/2021 16:58

@bamboocat

Why do you think that distrupting the lives of ordinary folk going about their daily business is going to have a positive effect?

Ask the suffragettes
MurielSpriggs · 30/08/2021 16:58

Well done, and good luck today.

Out of technical legal interest, do you know exactly what they arrested you for? Was it s.137 obstruction of the highway?

Pinktable11 · 30/08/2021 16:58

@Miniroofbox

Won’t your job be at risk if you’re arrested?

How many times are you going to expect your child’s father to step up and keep her while you’re out protesting? At what point do you think he should become the RP?

Do you take annual leave to protest?

Yes, this is my annual leave, and yes, my job is at risk, and yes my parental rights are at risk

But I am doing this so my daughter and her generation have a chance of a future
OP posts:
nauticant · 30/08/2021 16:59

Do you ever ask yourself whether you're engaging in a self-indulgent ego trip OP? Or, confident in your moral righteousness, do you never do this kind of self-reflection?

whatfreshheck · 30/08/2021 16:59

Hope you aren't a registered healthcare professional. The NMC etc take a dim view of arrests etc.

Miniroofbox · 30/08/2021 16:59

So you’re ok taking money from the state that supports and pays for all the things you’re protesting against.

Isn’t that a bit two faced?

Miniroofbox · 30/08/2021 17:00

What sort of healthcare professional are you? That could mean all sorts.

Unsure33 · 30/08/2021 17:01

Unfortunately you don’t bring my attention to the problem . You just make me angry .

Much better and more intelligent ways of protesting and educating people.

Pinktable11 · 30/08/2021 17:01

@PlanDeRaccordement

Why can’t you protest without breaking the law and getting arrested?

I think more people would support XR if they could manage to protest by legal means and not endanger people or cause criminal damage.

Because that's been done for decades, and had no tangible result

We do get a lot of support. But support for XR isn't the point. Support for protecting the environment, through any charity, political party or pressure group all helps, as well as consumer pressure
OP posts:
bamboocat · 30/08/2021 17:02

We need to draw attention to the fact that we are at crisis point. If we don't act now we will destroy our own life support system.

I know that. I made my first donation to Greenpeace more than 40 years ago. Many millions of other people are also very concerned about this issue too.

If you want everyone's support, you don't go about it by antagonising and disrupting the lives of the very people on whose support you depend - ie the general public. You want us on your side, so start acting like it.

Pinktable11 · 30/08/2021 17:03

We need XR. AND everyone else. We can't do it alone, and other groups can't do it without our weight on their end of the seesaw with them

OP posts:
MrsKeats · 30/08/2021 17:03

So you think that chaining yourself to a sign will stop global warming?
You are doing more harm then good with your idiocy.
A healthcare professional endangering people's lives.
I hope you lose your job.

Unsure33 · 30/08/2021 17:04

@Ihaventgottimeforthis

Totally agree with you .

Miniroofbox · 30/08/2021 17:05

How do you feel about what people are telling you on this thread? Why aren’t you listening?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.