Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AMA

Arrested protesting for Extinction Rebellion. AMA

345 replies

Pinktable11 · 30/08/2021 16:15

32 year old woman, separated, one child, healthcare professional .

I've read the posts about XR on here over the last week

Happy to answer anything, but do keep in mind if I'm arrested again today I may well be out of touch for 24+ hours, and longer if my phone is impounded 😁

OP posts:
knittingaddict · 31/08/2021 10:02

@BigWoollyJumpers

Where's OP?

In a custody suite?

Highly doubt that though.
MrsElijahMikaelson1 · 31/08/2021 10:04

“Where’s OP?”
Probably not coming back because of his thread hasn’t exactly gone to plan and they are being called out for both their actions and their inability to AMA!!!🤣

MrsElijahMikaelson1 · 31/08/2021 10:05

this thread

MaMelon · 31/08/2021 10:09

Putting XR stickers on lamp posts and congratulating herself on her eco credentials.

Either that or on the phone to her union rep.

GreenTortoise · 31/08/2021 10:22

You go to a climate change protest on a train and have two phones?

Oh, the irony.

MurielSpriggs · 31/08/2021 10:35

@ActonSquirrel
Quite. I'm not sure what XR are trying to achieve or what their goal is.

It's on their website:
extinctionrebellion.uk/the-truth/demands/

And as it turns out, most of the questions and complaints on this thread are FAQs, and are answered here, to save @Pinktable11 some time Grin
extinctionrebellion.uk/the-truth/faqs/

ActonSquirrel · 31/08/2021 10:37

How much of it have they achieved? 0%

100% of then have just pissed people off an fleet more litter than Glastonbury Hmm

RedToothBrush · 31/08/2021 10:39

If you aren't getting the message across at the actual protest and have to send links to a website which lots of people won't go near because they regard XR as extreme / violent etc, then you really are missing the mark...

PlanDeRaccordement · 31/08/2021 10:53

@ShinyHappySummers

No, we haven't forgotten; tthere were quite a few occasions when they got it badly wrong. And don't get me started on Emily Davison, who ran headlong into a bunch of galloping racehorses in the 1913 Epsom Derby, endangering the lives of all those animals and their jockeys.

*@blacksax* got you the vote though didn't they hmmm?! Hmm

No the suffragettes actually did not get women the vote in the U.K. the suffragists did. Read the actual history from primary sources such as the parliament debates and newspapers of the day. The suffragettes violent terrorist tactics DELAYED the vote for women. Their terrorist bombs and invention of the letter bomb in the early 1900s were the #1 reason why when women were first allowed to vote it was restricted to married older women. If it hadn’t been for the suffragettes, all U.K. women would have gotten the vote after WWI.
PlanDeRaccordement · 31/08/2021 11:05

And don't get me started on Emily Davison, who ran headlong into a bunch of galloping racehorses in the 1913 Epsom Derby, endangering the lives of all those animals and their jockeys.

Yes she did kill herself that way, maybe she felt guilty for having planted a bomb at Lloyd George’s home which exploded at 6am on 19 February 1913. Bringing down walls and ceilings, only by luck not killing anyone even though it was designed to kill everyone while they were still sleeping in their beds.

That bomb and many others that exploded caused the private members Bill in Parliament giving women the right to vote to fail in 1915. The MPs who’d originally supported it, turned against it because they didn’t want to give in to terrorism.

ActonSquirrel · 31/08/2021 11:13

How many of you have been inspired to change your ways.

I don't have a car. I use public transport or bike. I have one oven, one microwave, one washing machine (no drier), one TV, one phone.

Not even a laptop as work lent me one for wfh and no tablet, smart watch, sound system nothing.

I rarely holidayed abroad before the pandemic.

What have you lot done?

PlanDeRaccordement · 31/08/2021 11:24

@ActonSquirrel

I haven’t. I’ve been part of green movement since I became aware of it at age 16. This was decades before XR even existed, and they do nothing to inspire me or anyone I know because of their entitled hypocrisy. They are damaging the green movement with their doomsaying. People are getting less green in droves because of XR saying collapse of society and the ecosystem are inevitable and so on.

What have you lot done?

I vote Green. I live green (too much to list). I raised my children green. I donate to charities that protect wildlife and oceans and the ecosystem. I volunteer for a nature conservation charity. I participate and comment on all local development plans to ensure green principles are used. I have even brought green to my profession, ie re-engineered rocket engines and their subsystems to be more green, by being interchangeable and re-usable and so on.

ActonSquirrel · 31/08/2021 11:26

[quote PlanDeRaccordement]@ActonSquirrel

I haven’t. I’ve been part of green movement since I became aware of it at age 16. This was decades before XR even existed, and they do nothing to inspire me or anyone I know because of their entitled hypocrisy. They are damaging the green movement with their doomsaying. People are getting less green in droves because of XR saying collapse of society and the ecosystem are inevitable and so on.

What have you lot done?

I vote Green. I live green (too much to list). I raised my children green. I donate to charities that protect wildlife and oceans and the ecosystem. I volunteer for a nature conservation charity. I participate and comment on all local development plans to ensure green principles are used. I have even brought green to my profession, ie re-engineered rocket engines and their subsystems to be more green, by being interchangeable and re-usable and so on.[/quote]
I didn't necessarily mean those like you who already are aware and doing something since a young age.

I meant those pontificating about how amazing XR are. What have they done to inspire anyone?!

MaMelon · 31/08/2021 11:28

@ActonSquirrel

I don't have a car. I use public transport or bike. I have one oven, one microwave, one washing machine (no drier), one TV, one phone.

Not even a laptop as work lent me one for wfh and no tablet, smart watch, sound system nothing.

What have you lot done?

Have I been inspired to change my ways as a result of XR?

Emphatically - no Grin
SeaDreaming · 31/08/2021 11:34

@ActonSquirrel

What have you lot done?

Im not sure which lot "you lot" refers to, but I'll give it a go.

I don't drive. I haven't been on a plane since 2004. My energy is as green as I can get it. I compost. No computer/tablet, just a second hand smartphone.

I lived in a vegan co-op (which was part of XR founder Roger Hallam's network of co-ops) for a bit but moved out because it was awful; my place got taken up by a serial rapist within the environmental activist movement (most of the groups he was enabled by and involved in over the last 25 years are now involved in XR).

All of this before XR were a twinkle in Hallam's eye.

I've not been inspired to do anything at all by XR apart from run as fast as I can in the opposite direction.
Spudlet · 31/08/2021 11:35

XR haven’t inspired me to do a damn thing. But I do what I can anyway. I buy secondhand as often as I can, and I don’t buy new things unless they’re absolutely essential. I use my bike when it’s practical, although I live rurally so a car is something I can’t do without - there is no public transport. I drive as carefully as possible for maximum efficiency, and a bit slower than I used to. I make gardening decisions around the environmental impact - trying to prioritise wildlife friendly native species. I’ve cut down on the amount of meat and dairy that we eat and I try to buy local produce when I can, as long as my budget allows. I mend clothes rather than replace them. We only have one dc and we won’t be having any more. We use a green energy supplier, and when the boiler comes to the end of its life we’ll be looking for a more eco-friendly alternative - sooner, if we can get a grant of some sort and it makes sense to replace it on an environmental level.

None of this is because of people blocking the roads or parading around London in fancy dress, it’s because it’s the right thing to do.

Sirzy · 31/08/2021 11:41

Given all XR achieve is pissing people off I don’t know how inspirational that is. I don’t need inspiring to piss people off!

ActonSquirrel · 31/08/2021 11:48

Im not sure which lot "you lot" refers to, but I'll give it a go.

Apologies. I was typing on a bus without really thinking. Now I'm sitting somewhere quieter...I met XR and those who are in awe of their efforts and support them.

SeaDreaming · 31/08/2021 11:50

No apology needed, @ActonSquirrel - easily done! Thanks for clarifying x

Wrongsideofhistorymyarse · 31/08/2021 11:53

OP, last year XR marched through my town on their way from Brighton to London and spray painted walls with the XR logo.

How does that further the cause? Vandalism pisses off the populace and means someone else needs to clean it up.

RedToothBrush · 31/08/2021 12:13

At least 1,059 journalists have been murdered in the past ten years, and 387 were arbitrarily detained at the end of 2020, according to RSF. The rate of impunity for crimes of violence against journalists is still around 90%.

Being a journalist is a very dangerous occupation.

RedToothBrush · 31/08/2021 12:14

Sorry wrong thread

UpstreamSwimmer · 31/08/2021 13:23

Can you let us know where you live and what your schedule is, so that we can come and disrupt your life?

00100001 · 31/08/2021 13:29

@ActonSquirrel

What have you lot done?

How many people do you know that have more than one microwave? Confused

Besides, you could do more...

Go vegan.
Install solar panels, to get "off grid".
Get rid of microwave, that uses tons of electricity.
Swap your oven for an air fryer, reduce the electricity again.
Stop using public transport, it's run on Fossil fuels.
Shop in bulk, stop using supermarkets, only go to local butchers, greengrocers etc. In fact, grow your own veg.

We can all do more. It isn't very helpful being superior.
knittingaddict · 31/08/2021 13:37

@ActonSquirrel

What have you lot done?

That's not exactly earth shattering is it?

Thats not far off how I would describe myself, but with a few additional brownie points and I'm hardly even trying.

I do have a car because I would be dangerous to myself and others on a bike and our local public transport is terrible. My local council is anti car, but no decent bus system to encourage non car use, so I'll keep my car thanks.
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.