Talk

Advanced search

Snow watch 2017/18

(982 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 02-Dec-17 07:33:28

I wish you could have joint thread starters! Gloria and I will be hosting this years snow watch and tag teaming with amateur weather forecasts. When reading them, please bear in mind that we are both amateurs with busy day to day lives, but we will do our best.

Please remember snow is notoriously difficult to forecast in this country as it often falls under marginal conditions.
When a forecast matters please do check with the Met Office first.

After a taste of winter already for some in the east, this mornings GFS model sticks with the winter weather theme we’ve been noticing for a few days for late Thurs 7th onwards, with a significant low pressure looking to bring in some cold and potentially rather snowy weather. Indeed, there is the potential for this to be accompanied by some very strong winds.

At the moment GFS plays around with the exact location of this low pressure, so it is too early to say where any snow may hit, but most places away from the far west seem to be in the potential firing line at the moment.

If some of the charts come off, the weather could be quite disruptive next weekend.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 02-Dec-17 07:40:33

It’s worth noting that ECMWF also is going for a wintry plunge next weekend.

Humphreyhippo Sat 02-Dec-17 07:43:03

OOh exciting! Am hoping Somerset isn’t westerly enough to escape.

Ilikesweetpeas Sat 02-Dec-17 07:44:14

Ooh, excited to find this thread. I love snow!

readyforsunshine Sat 02-Dec-17 07:46:48

Joining the excitement while I wait for the annual Christmas thread! So enjoying this wintery weather, it was just all wrong last year.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 02-Dec-17 07:50:36

fgrin

GloriaSmud Sat 02-Dec-17 07:53:56

It'll be interesting if/when the metoffice go for this. They're forecasting rain but with cold following behind at the moment.

MarkleAndSpencer Sat 02-Dec-17 07:57:48

South West here too and we've had NO snow for years. Am dying for a decent snowfall and some sledging! Thanks for this thread!

Easilyflattered Sat 02-Dec-17 07:59:55

Oh pretty please snow. Just enough to stop the trains so I don't have to go to a Christmas party next weekend.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 02-Dec-17 08:00:40

It is interesting that the met office aren’t going for it yet Gloria.

TalkingSheds Sat 02-Dec-17 08:05:22

fgrin we've had snow on our hills for weeks, just needs to come lower (Highlands)

GloriaSmud Sat 02-Dec-17 08:11:19

The metoffice either know snowmageddon isn't going to happen and it's going to be a washout instead or they don't want to commit themselves!

MsAwesomeDragon Sat 02-Dec-17 08:15:15

I'd love a good snowfall this year. I know it's disruptive, but it's so pretty!!! and I'd like a couple of snow days off school

GloriaSmud Sat 02-Dec-17 11:01:12

GFS ~ latest run still going for snow.
Netweather's take on next week.

PointlessUsername Sat 02-Dec-17 11:12:53

Ooh, i am so hoping for lots of snow.

Thanks for the thread. I will be following for updates.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 02-Dec-17 11:29:28

Thanks Gloria, I'm out for the day.

iseenodust Sat 02-Dec-17 11:36:35

Hat & scarf at the ready.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 02-Dec-17 19:07:53

Latest model puts the snow over Wales to start with, but don’t pin too much on that at this point. It also, at this point isn’t looking like a one day wonder, but could persist.

Gertrudethestag Sat 02-Dec-17 20:53:45

Oooh nice thread! I'm in Cornwall so we rarely see snow. The weather looks like it's going to get stormy (wind & rain) around the 11th. Eep!

Totally wish we had snow though. DH and I are on the verge of moving up North for more snow fwink

SideOrderofSprouts Sat 02-Dec-17 21:29:11

Hoping for snow in jersey

Glitteryfrog Sat 02-Dec-17 21:33:14

Midlands here - in what appears to be a snow free zone.
I spend much of the winter singing this to myself youtu.be/_QNYj61wMRI

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Sat 02-Dec-17 21:37:40

Didn't Durham have a bit of snow in the last few days?

My husband's a snow fiend, absolutely loves the stuff... until he realises that he has to drive in it.

Oreocrumbs Sat 02-Dec-17 21:41:54

We had a bit of snow in Durham this week.... T'was great. It's not fully melted yet, still a bit along the verges.

This was Thursday morning.

Gertrudethestag Sat 02-Dec-17 21:46:27

oreo oh that photo is brilliant! Very envious.

Alexindisguise Sat 02-Dec-17 21:47:34

I hate snow, almost phobic but can't help perversely watching these threads 😊

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now