Talk

Advanced search

TENNIS THREAD- Grass season is in full swing, stock up on strawberries and Pimms!

(1000 Posts)
Raahh Mon 18-Jun-18 07:23:33

at magi's request here is the first grass thread ( we will probably need more than one!).

Can't believe it time for Queen's again. Hope the weather holds out- bit gloomy in the north west.grin

( can't link to other thread as on my phone).

See you all later- the only thing I'm not looking forward to is the likelihood it will be Mr Castle in the commentary box.grin

PrivateParkin Mon 18-Jun-18 07:56:18

Yay thanks Raahh! So excited for the next few weeks. However, don't get me started on Andrew Castle. I am not a fan. He commentates as though people have never even heard of tennis before, let alone might have a grasp of the rules, tactics, etc. And he always brings in such irrelevant info etc... But! I'm not letting that rain on my parade. Yippee for the grass season, best few weeks of the year!

ferrier Mon 18-Jun-18 08:00:15

A bit gloomy here, has been raining over night, but looks like it's brightening up now. I am in the London area so pretty similar to Queens - not quite the rarefied atmosphere though!
As usual I will miss most of the action as I will be working but will try to keep up!

Raahh Mon 18-Jun-18 09:04:09

thank you for linking ferrier !

magimedi Mon 18-Jun-18 09:48:07

I'd forgotten how much I dislike Andrew arsehole Castle.

Thanks for new thread. Forecast looks OK for London.

tennis

kazzaD66 Mon 18-Jun-18 10:12:21

So glad I'm not the only one who can't stand the "Former British No1" crap tennis player and smug git that is Andrew sodding Castle. This is my favourite time of the year but it is rather spoiled by him being all over the BBC's coverage of Queens and Wimbledon. Really looking forward to the tennis, though smile

JaneJeffer Mon 18-Jun-18 11:13:59

I'm looking forward to seeing Tim. He's very witty and makes me laugh.

Raahh Mon 18-Jun-18 13:09:06

I have just sat down to put the tv- and it isn't working. If there is a problem with Virgin, I will be very, very annoyed. angry.

Internet seems o.k- just the t.v. hmm

Raahh Mon 18-Jun-18 13:24:36

Phew!

It's turned on!

grin

Nice blue sky at Queen's.
Will take a while to get used to it being Fever Tree, rather Aegon.

(Though it will always be Stella Artois to me grin).

kazzaD66 Mon 18-Jun-18 13:42:08

Yes, I still called it the Stella for years, although I could get used to Fever Tree, esp with gin no drinking problem here grin

Raahh Mon 18-Jun-18 13:44:30

gin

Kazza , it's a shame it's a bit early for gin. (And I haven't got any)

and I have to do the school run

grin

JaneJeffer Mon 18-Jun-18 13:47:59

I've got it on now that I have banished DS1 to the kitchen to watch World Cup.

The greenness always takes adjusting to after the clay.

It's overcast and drizzly here. I want the sunshine back sad

kazzaD66 Mon 18-Jun-18 14:00:19

Aarrgghh!!! Just turned on for Norrie vs Wawrinka and filling the screen is A Castle! Runs for cover.......

magimedi Mon 18-Jun-18 14:16:00

Were I some 40 years younger I could really go for Shapavalov...............

Raahh Mon 18-Jun-18 14:21:48

Had to go and pick Ds up from school so missed the end of the Shappy match.

Nice to see that Stan has brushed his hair for the occasion grin

JaneJeffer Mon 18-Jun-18 14:24:46

I know what's happened. Stan has nicked Andrew Castle's hairdryer. I was wondering earlier why Andrew's hair wasn't looking as bouffant as usual.

PrivateParkin Mon 18-Jun-18 14:30:27

Castle is discussing how much padding is on the new seats! I mean... Why is he mentioning that?!

JaneJeffer Mon 18-Jun-18 14:33:04

Sit down to fuck!

JaneJeffer Mon 18-Jun-18 14:33:55

The spectators I mean, not you Private

Raahh Mon 18-Jun-18 14:44:18

Jane Rude spectatoritis is obviously spreading.

I don't like it.

PrivateParkin Mon 18-Jun-18 14:54:05

Lol Jane!! If their seats are so well-padded they should be more than happy to sit down asap!

JaneJeffer Mon 18-Jun-18 14:55:30

grin

kazzaD66 Mon 18-Jun-18 15:33:29

Shame Cam Norrie couldn't give a better account of himself but good to see Stan back. Is John Inverdale going to ask everyone about the World Cup in the post match interview?confused
Verdasco/ Cilic should be good even if we've got Castle and Inverdale trying to outdo each other in the commentary box

MrStarkIDontFeelSoGood Mon 18-Jun-18 15:51:47

Checking in - hope I'm welcome, don't follow the tour all year round, haven't got the right channels but LOVE Wimbledon and hoping to catch some of Queens.

I really feel like this is Murrays swansong and he'll announce his retirement at SW19. Sad sad

JaneJeffer Mon 18-Jun-18 15:54:42

Hi MrStark it'll be interesting to see how Andy gets on tomorrow. He seemed very unsure of himself in the interview.

This thread is not accepting new messages.