Talk

Advanced search

Anyone want to come and mourn the reality vs expectation of new purchases with me?

(622 Posts)
Swimminguphill Thu 07-Dec-17 15:16:11

I bought this beautiful jacket online. In my mind I'd look like Blondie in the 80s, very rock and roll and all round awesome. In reality I look like a giant angry teddy bear/yeti. I have broad shoulders and a bust although slim in general, and it doesn't do me any favours. I wanted it for ages and it's now sold out, and so the joy of getting it in my size just in time is sadly wasted. It is a beautiful jacket - just not on me! Anybody else want to come and mourn reality vs fantasy with me?

OP’s posts: |
MightyMunki Thu 07-Dec-17 15:23:31

I had an unfortunate encounter with a velvet floral pair of dungarees that looked lovely online, but clung to my post c section pooch in ways I will never forget.

PavlovaPlease Thu 07-Dec-17 15:25:35

I bought a sequin jacket that I'd spotted on Instagram. I looked like Lionel Blair in it.

PNGirl Thu 07-Dec-17 15:34:25

I bought Cherry Red Dr Marten Chelsea boots (the 2976, very round toe, unisex ones). Expectation - slightly rock chick, hipster outfits because my black laceups make me feel awesome.

Reality - clown shoes

Swimminguphill Thu 07-Dec-17 16:20:23

Oh these are priceless! Thank you everyone, now laughing not mourning. I genuinely think that some pieces just don't ever look the same IRL than they do online/in pictures... It's not us it's them, right?

SmileChuck Thu 07-Dec-17 16:50:54

Cos skirt. I wanted to look scandi effortless cool. I looked like a Triangle.

Printed jumper. I wanted a slightly quirky alternative to plain knits for winter. the reality was I looked like a Toddler.

SmileChuck Thu 07-Dec-17 16:51:25

I like that jacket though.

thatmincepiehasgone Thu 07-Dec-17 16:54:42

I bought this dress for a party. In my head I looked like an older Pippa Middleton.
The reality is that I look like a middle aged housewife attending her husband's firm's annual dinner dance at a Berni Inn.
www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_54510+203490351_-1

mirren3 Thu 07-Dec-17 17:10:38

I looked like Lionel Blair That has got to be the funniest thing I've read all day.

Swimminguphill Thu 07-Dec-17 17:15:10

SmileChuck you too can look like an angry teddy in a few days when the one I return goes back online grin

It's funny how it's the things we have greatest hopes for that are the most disappointing. I never get this upset about wellies or anoracks.

mrsmonkey14 Thu 07-Dec-17 17:15:16

Thank you. Having a shitty day and am pissing myself laughing at these!

zippyswife Thu 07-Dec-17 17:36:39

These are great.

HappyVan Thu 07-Dec-17 17:38:15

This happens to me alot. That's why I do lots of returns.

Laiste Thu 07-Dec-17 17:46:12

I look pretty good in a clingy mini, I have good legs, my arse is ok.

Repeatedly over the last couple of winters i've gone in full of hope and tried on ..... a Skater Skirt.

''Hmm, nice with opaques and my suede boots i think. Not much different to my straight ones surely ...''

Nope.

Every.single.time i just look like a hippo in a bloody tutu and get depressed angrysadconfused

FlorenceLyons Thu 07-Dec-17 17:57:24

This Cos dress: https://www.cosstores.com/gb/Women/Dresses/Knitteddresss_withwovenn_skirt/46881-76919558.1#c-24479

It's a gorgeous colour. I thought it looked great in the changing room. Whenever I wear it I feel like a pregnant toddler.

ihatethecold Thu 07-Dec-17 18:11:46

That Cos dress looks so unflattering.

hollygolipo Thu 07-Dec-17 18:27:51

I bought the red Zara frayed edge coat and looked like a member of a Beatles tribute act. Also spent £400 on a beautiful soft leather jacket only to see Suzi Quattro's fat nan staring back at me in the mirror.

Leviticus Thu 07-Dec-17 18:51:13

Every bloody thing I buy on eBay. I never learn.

IJustLostTheGame Thu 07-Dec-17 19:15:59

Mom jeans.
I look like a mom, and not in a good way.
My latest purchase was an oversized coat. I wanted to look all effortlessly instacool and laidback chic.
I look like a tramp in it.

WillowySnicket Thu 07-Dec-17 19:17:47

Every bloody thing I buy on eBay. I never learn.

This.

Wilburissomepig Thu 07-Dec-17 19:21:05

A gorgeous grey leather biker jacket, it was beautiful but definitely not on me. I looked like a Hell's Angel's nan in it.

LaurieFairyCake Thu 07-Dec-17 19:23:28

A navy Burberry Mac

Homeless art teacher

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Thu 07-Dec-17 19:27:47

Boyfriend jeans.

I look like a boy friend

FetchezLaVache Thu 07-Dec-17 19:27:56

I bought this on the strength of the reviews, as it clearly flatters absolutely every figure...

...except mine. I am 5'4", a size 8-10 and reasonably in proportion, but this made me look like I had no waist and the biggest thunder thighs in the kingdom.

Have returned it. sad

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Thu 07-Dec-17 19:32:41

I can't provide a link but I bought a full length black strap on evening dress.
I expected Angelina Jolie when her posed leg ended up with its own twitter account.

I looked like Morticia Addams' fat sister

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in