Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

BBC Three Glow Up

HollowTalk · 11/05/2022 21:32

Did anybody watch this just now? I've never seen self sabotage on that scale in a show like this.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Toddlerteaplease · 11/05/2022 21:35

I watched the other series. But I can't abide the female judge. Do you mean the contestants self sabotage. I agree with that.

Please
or

HollowTalk · 11/05/2022 21:39

I'm talking about the person who had to leave episode one of season four. He was clearly very disturbed and I think couldn't handle criticism.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Cocolapew · 11/05/2022 21:42

He said it wasn't meant to be disrespectful but that's exactly what it was.
The Irish guy is so like the one from the last series.

Please
or

IstayedForTheFeminism · 11/05/2022 21:45

I haven't watched it yet. But am place marking for later.

Please
or

HollowTalk · 11/05/2022 21:51

I think the problem is that in the first challenge they are asked to make themselves up in a very very personal way. If someone does this then it's easy to see how they would take it personally if they were told it wasn't any good. I think it's far better to choose some issue that isn't actually related to yourself and focus on that rather than baring your soul on the first episode and risking getting kicked off.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Toddlerteaplease · 11/05/2022 22:00

I think many of the contestants in previous series have had mental health issues.

Please
or

MinglingFlamingo · 11/05/2022 22:17

Marking place

I love Glow up - it's my favourite show of this sort of format

Think I like the Primary teacher the best.

I think that chap just didn't know what a reverse cat eye was so went sod this I'll go out on my terms

Please
or

MyBeloved · 11/05/2022 23:47

I thought he was an idiot who was clearly in it to promote his cause. Shame, as he robbed someone else of a place in the show!

Please
or

SilentBob · 11/05/2022 23:48

I just watched this now. They were clearly not best placed to be on a reality show.

Please
or

Cocolapew · 12/05/2022 00:43

Please
or

ALoadOfCodswallop · 12/05/2022 20:03

I thought it was really disrespectful. If you are going to do a protest because you are having a sulk, write on your own face and not the model who can't object.

I think they did it, so they can now say it wasn't my skills that sent me home, I just didn't want to be there.

Please
or

Fritilleries · 12/05/2022 20:07

They came across as a spoilt brat.

Please
or

TarotRiffleShuffle · 12/05/2022 20:20

On their Instagram page someone commented on how disrespectful it was to write on the models face, and their reply was exactly 'I'm sure she's fine. Cis, white, beautiful & paid to be on telly. Not a bad life is it?' I feel sorry for the thousands of applicants that didn't get through. Why couldn't they have written it on their own face?

Please
or

Lottapianos · 12/05/2022 20:50

'He said it wasn't meant to be disrespectful but that's exactly what it was.'

Totally agree. Shocking, and very disrespectful towards the model

I do enjoy this show, and I love Val and Dom. Blown away by how creative the contestants are, although I much prefer the glam/beauty stuff to the prosthetics etc

Please
or

Cocolapew · 12/05/2022 20:54

I was surprised at the Irish guy using the mask he had made the night before, is that usually allowed? Surely he had an advantage having already made most of his?
I don't remember that happening in others apart from maybe hair pieces.

Please
or

RoyKentsChestHair · 12/05/2022 21:00

Agree that it was disrespectful to the model and I’m glad thhey went as I found them annoying tottering around in impractical heels and a ball gown.

The look just wasn’t very impressive and I guess that contestant is used to being the most “out there” and unusual amongst their friends and couldn’t hack it that there were plenty more interesting and talented people in the competition.

Just a really childish reaction to being put under pressure.

also agree that a lot of the work was already done with the chameleon one, but I guess they do have ready made prosthetic pieces when they do the special effects challenges so this isn’t so different.

I loved the one with the silver strokes of eyeliner and the freckles who won the first challenge.

Please
or

SchadenfreudePersonified · 12/05/2022 21:06

HollowTalk

I'm talking about the person who had to leave episode one of season four. He was clearly very disturbed and I think couldn't handle criticism.

There's a season 4?

I'll have to seek that out.

Please
or

glamosaurus · 12/05/2022 21:26

The contestant clearly was a troubled soul who couldn't cope with being in the 'face off' and yes it was disrespectful of them to write that on the model.

They came across as utterly childish and pathetic rather than being there to grow and learn and try their best.

However... the cynic in me questions the editing of the show and why they chose to air it as they did. Especially as bbc 3 is obsessed with the T and the Q. So I wonder if they're playing a longer game and not so subtly playing up the general messaging on this. Etc.

Please
or

DinoMadBoy · 12/05/2022 21:40

Just finished this - was glad they/he/she went. I mean it wasn’t a strong look - if they wanted the male/female look they could have made it really much much stronger. As Val said some contouring and more obvious use feminisation on that side for a start. It was rubbish standard. Then they totally didn’t know what to do for the face off I think. Hasn’t a clue so mucked about then stages a protest on the poor models face. Was really disrespectful to the whole show.

I really like the primary teacher. Getting to know the others. I love this show even though I am useless at make up!

Haven’t long finished the Irish one. Was good but they don’t get to go “out” for their challenges so seemed but samey each week. Plus the contestants all seemed similar at least towards the end.

Please
or

IstayedForTheFeminism · 12/05/2022 21:47

TarotRiffleShuffle

On their Instagram page someone commented on how disrespectful it was to write on the models face, and their reply was exactly 'I'm sure she's fine. Cis, white, beautiful & paid to be on telly. Not a bad life is it?' I feel sorry for the thousands of applicants that didn't get through. Why couldn't they have written it on their own face?

How did he/ she/ they know the model was cis. Did they assume their gender? How potentially transphobic of them!

Please
or

WouldBeGood · 13/05/2022 07:31

I agree with the disrespect and spoilt braterry.

i didn’t know what a reverse cats eye was, but quite liked it! I like seeing the new trends, though I’m too old to attempt them. I prefer the general makeup looks as opposed to the prosthetics/stagey stuff, but the primary teacher’s was good, and I loved the precision of the flowers.

Please
or

Fernsinthegarden · 13/05/2022 07:37

Ooo new series! Agree that the Irish series seemed quite samey but loved seeing Maura! Going to catch up now although ready to grit my teeth through the damn ding donging, I like Val but god it’s annoying when she does it.

Please
or

Ferngreen · 13/05/2022 11:19

2 1/2 hours seems a hell of along time to do a face unless your using glue and going for the alien look.
And the models for gym ad were very varied - some hadn't a chance imv.

Please
or

Ferngreen · 13/05/2022 11:21

I don't think you stand a chance if you don't have issues, esteem problems or a sad back story as then there's nothing 'work thro' during the series.

Please
or

Ferngreen · 13/05/2022 11:22

To work through

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.