Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Heartstopper - Netflix

MrsBooks · 29/04/2022 16:46

Binged it, loved it, binged it again to Shazam all the music!!

Anyone else watched it?

Gay, geeky teen falls in love with supposedly straight, popular, rugby playing lad. Just very sweet high school drama.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Modestandatinybitsexy · 29/04/2022 16:51

It's a brilliant series and a brilliant book, my teens are absolutely crazy about it!

Please
or

Divebar2021 · 29/04/2022 16:53

I’ve been watching it with my DD. They really are very sweet and tender with each other. I haven’t finished though so don’t want to see any spoilers.

Please
or

forlornlorna1 · 29/04/2022 17:04

My teen is dragging me to town for the books tomorrow as she can't wait for the next series lol

Please
or

Skylab12 · 29/04/2022 17:08

Absolutely loved it!!! Nick is such a nice character and a great role model for teens in a relationship

Please
or

Simonjt · 29/04/2022 17:14

We’ve watched the first four episodes, if we have time we’ll watch more tonight. It took me until episode two to twig that I recognised Nicks voice as he is Pan in his dark materials.

Really good so far, quite good representation of homophobia and how young queer people often have no self worth and are quite accepting of it. Also a ‘nice’ representation of an eating disorder, they’re normally shown as quite in your face in TV and film.

We had a group chat at rugby about it (I play for a queer team), (some have seen all eight), so many shows and books have camp queer men, there isn’t anything wrong with being camp, but it really isn’t healthy to have camp, sport hating boys being the gay one in the media, when that only represents a very very small proportion of us. It also feeds into the whole ‘well I can’t be gay because I love sport, computer games and being laddy’

It’s also nice to see children playing children, rather than actors in their twenties and sometimes even thirties. Nice to see a queer cast as well. I guess the downside is that some people might sexualise them, look what happened to the boy in stranger things, grown adults were posting innapropriate tweets etc about looking forward to him turning 18.

It’s also nice that (so far) there isn’t any sex, it really annoys me that so many queer shows and queer stories lines are nothing more than sex, sex, sex, sex. We may even be lucky enough to finally get a show where no one is disowned by their family or contracts HIV!

Please
or

Simonjt · 29/04/2022 17:15

Oh, I forgot, I also like the good respresentation of consent.

Please
or

MrsBooks · 29/04/2022 17:51

@Simonjt i have completely missed any notion of an ED - and I’ve watched it twice!! Too subtle for me I guess!!

Yes Kit who plays Nick is the voice of Pan - I only realised this when I looked him up. So looking forwards to s3 or HDM!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Simonjt · 30/04/2022 12:10

MrsBooks

@Simonjt i have completely missed any notion of an ED - and I’ve watched it twice!! Too subtle for me I guess!!

Yes Kit who plays Nick is the voice of Pan - I only realised this when I looked him up. So looking forwards to s3 or HDM!

I could be wrong, but it was subtle things like him never eating, encouraging others to eat, turning down food with a promise to eat later, overly baggy clothing.

Please
or

TigerLilyTail · 30/04/2022 12:13

Simonjt

MrsBooks

I could be wrong, but it was subtle things like him never eating, encouraging others to eat, turning down food with a promise to eat later, overly baggy clothing.

Which character is this? I don’t remember any character wearing baggy clothing.

I loved this series. Will there be more series does anyone think?

Please
or

Furrbabymama87 · 30/04/2022 12:19

Loved this. The one who plays Charlie is such a cutie. The whole series is cute.

Please
or

ISpyCobraKai · 30/04/2022 12:23

It's really sweet, I've watched it twice and have the playlist in my car!

Please
or

MolkosTeenageAngst · 30/04/2022 12:28

Simonjt

MrsBooks

I’ve just started watching (on episode 3) and haven’t noticed any of this and, having had an eating disorder as a teen, am usually quite tuned into these things; which character do you mean? Will try and look a bit harder!

I also agree it’s nice to see a show where the focus isn’t immediately on sex or on big traumatic events and experiences; so many teen dramas on Netflix use things like rape, suicide, abuse, extreme poverty etc to insert high levels of drama but it’s nice to watch a show which doesn’t need to do this and focuses instead on the everyday difficulties and experiences that come with being a teenager and navigating sexuality, consent, relationships etc.

Please
or

Loopytiles · 30/04/2022 12:31

Which character has an eating disorder? I too missed that!

excellent performances from the cast, especially the two leads. Both so endearing.

plus olivia coleman!

Please
or

Knifer · 30/04/2022 12:32

Charlie has the eating disorder

Please
or

Loopytiles · 30/04/2022 12:37

😨

Please
or

TigerLilyTail · 30/04/2022 12:41

Oh, I see. I missed that.

Please
or

jay55 · 30/04/2022 13:08

I thought it was lovely. Just very lovely.
The calling out the billing and fights felt real enough and not too far in to fantasy land.

I especially loved Isaac for constantly having a book in his hand, even at sports day.

Please
or

jay55 · 30/04/2022 13:08

Billing=bullying

Please
or

TigerLilyTail · 30/04/2022 13:09

It was also nice to see teens who actually look like teens rather than thirty year olds.

Please
or

ISpyCobraKai · 30/04/2022 13:10

The ED is more apparent in the books.

Please
or

Simonjt · 30/04/2022 13:44

ISpyCobraKai

Have you read the books? If so are they worth a read?

Please
or

sickofthisnonsense · 30/04/2022 13:45

My gay daughter loves it

Please
or

Haggisfish3 · 30/04/2022 13:50

I love it too. And my non binary offspring does, too.

Please
or

MrsBooks · 30/04/2022 14:07

Are the books proper novels or do they read like comic books? I can’t work it out but would love to read them if they have more than speech bubbles 😂

OP's posts:
Please
or

ISpyCobraKai · 30/04/2022 14:14

Simonjt

ISpyCobraKai

Have you read the books? If so are they worth a read?

Yes, and yes if you enjoyed the series.
I read the books a while ago.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.