Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Wheel Of Time on Prime

Ubiquery · 18/11/2021 20:20

I’ve just read it starts Friday 19th. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good…

OP's posts:
Please
or

Zampa · 27/11/2021 10:39

No need to apologise!

Please
or

lorettaobrian · 27/11/2021 13:41

@Zampa

Thank you *@nynaeveSedai*. I am presuming from from your username that Nynaeve becomes an Aes Sedai, which I suppose is inevitable after episode 4.

I think a lot of the dramatic tension in the show comes from not knowing who the Dragon Reborn is so guessing it's but working as well for people who already know?

Definitely works for me, as someone said above its like meeting old friends I can't believe how emotional I was finding this on Prime!!

Casting is outstanding I'm completely immersed/invested /whatever Smile
Please
or

Whinge · 27/11/2021 15:49

I've finally found time to catch up and watched all 4 episodes today 😄 I tried to read the books several years ago, and despite being right up my street I just couldn't get into them. So far the adaptation has been amazing.

Please
or

NurseButtercup · 27/11/2021 17:32

I'm enjoying this more than I expected. I'm enjoying the message of equality, the acknowledgement that men are physically stronger than women and they are protecting the women. But ultimately the women are in charge, they are the leaders.

The reveal at the end of episode 5 now makes sense. I'm wondering how long did they know they were the Dragon Reborn???

Please
or

Whinge · 27/11/2021 18:17

The reveal at the end of episode 5 now makes sense.

Episode 5? I thought there had only been 4 episodes so far?

I'm hoping i'm wrong, as having another to watch would be amazing. Grin

Please
or

NynaeveSedai · 27/11/2021 20:26

The reveal at the end of episode 5 now makes sense. I'm wondering how long did they know they were the Dragon Reborn???

Where have you seen episode 5?? And if you've watched it illegally don't spoil it for us!

Please
or

SoupDragon · 27/11/2021 21:06

I think I remember who the Dragon Reborn is but I'm really not sure I'm remembering it right.

Just caught up with episode 4. It's improving with each one.

Please
or

GrouchyKiwi · 27/11/2021 21:08

You can come chat about it in the Spoiler thread if you want a reminder, Soup. Grin

Meant to say earlier that the scene with Thom and the boys in the farm house was very well done too.

Please
or

Ubiquery · 27/11/2021 21:25

Meant to say earlier that the scene with Thom and the boys in the farm house was very well done too.

Agreed! Very well done. Poor Thom :(

I read a bit of a discussion on a US forum and they were raving about the series and then on a UK forum were they were really slating it. I hope the reviews are good enough that they don't drop it, no matter how bad it gets.

OP's posts:
Please
or

SoupDragon · 27/11/2021 21:41

You can come chat about it in the Spoiler thread if you want a reminder, Soup

😱 spoilers? Wash your mouth out!

Please
or

Ubiquery · 01/12/2021 21:54

I wish they were releasing them quicker than one a week.

OP's posts:
Please
or

SoupDragon · 02/12/2021 07:38

After binge watch so much over the last 20 months or so, I it quite refreshing to have to wait just like we did in the older days before streaming 😂

Please
or

Whinge · 02/12/2021 08:42

Yep I don't mind waiting. It's nice to be able to discuss the previous episode as everyone is in the same boat.

I've also got sing of manetheren stuck in my head, it's a right earworm.

Please
or

Zampa · 03/12/2021 14:17

Thought this week's episode was a slow burner. Probably setting up lots of important plot points but not as exciting for me (non book reader) as episode 4.

The scenery for Tar Valon and the White Tower bugs me. It looks like a Disney theme park rather than a real place and the extras don't feel like citizens of a big city.

Please
or

dyingplant · 03/12/2021 19:24

I'm really enjoying the show. I've read some of the early books but found the prose quite slow in places, and missing the humour I often enjoy in fantasy.

The tv show is a great way to enjoy it for me. I can see they're moving the story around to work on screen, but I like it.

I didn't want the stop at the end of the episode though. I wish we had the whole 13 books ready to view now!

Please
or

Campervan69 · 03/12/2021 19:25

Agree Zampa got us nowhere really. I just finished the first book and they'd have been better sticking to the plot of that..

The towns are far too clean. Not a scrap of dirt anywhere.

Please
or

GrouchyKiwi · 03/12/2021 23:15

Not a fan of episode 5. Bah.

Please
or

SoupDragon · 04/12/2021 09:17

I enjoyed it. Not every episode can be action packed. This one got them back in the same place and made Egwene and Perrin's "secrets" public (not that they were secrets really). It sort of gathered the ends of the previous episodes and pulled them all back together - I think a series needs episodes like that every so often.

Please
or

Ubiquery · 04/12/2021 12:41

I'd read comments and wasn't going to watch, but I really enjoyed it. I like seeing the "world".

The bit that I never like in fantasy is when they depict a Very Deep and Meaningful Ritual that Everyone Knows, but is then never seen again. E.g. when they buried the bodies in the woods in a circle and everyone held a candle in a jam jar. Then, later, the burial ritual was chest-beating and shirt-rending. I will bet money we never see either of these rituals again.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Ubiquery · 04/12/2021 12:43

What I like about Perrin's storyline is that he's not King of the wolves, it's not as clear cut or human-centred as that.

OP's posts:
Please
or

SapatSea · 04/12/2021 20:32

Episode 5. It felt like a scene was cut between Liandrin tempting Nynaeve to go into the gardens and the Ogier meeting her there (why did he go there?) We didn't see the meeting happening, just the Ogier turning up with Nynaeve at The inn where Matt and Rand are staying - it jarred with me. The ritual scene at the end was good, showed how the Aes Sedai/wardens feel what each other do.

Please
or

Whinge · 04/12/2021 21:21

@SapatSea

Episode 5. It felt like a scene was cut between Liandrin tempting Nynaeve to go into the gardens and the Ogier meeting her there (why did he go there?) We didn't see the meeting happening, just the Ogier turning up with Nynaeve at The inn where Matt and Rand are staying - it jarred with me. The ritual scene at the end was good, showed how the Aes Sedai/wardens feel what each other do.

I agree that it felt like something had been cut.

It was definitely a less action packed episode, but it was really nice to explore the characters a little more. I really enjoyed the rituals, but thought Nynaeve was going to show more of her power at the end as she was watching Lan suffer.

Is it really the last episode next week? I'm enjoying it far too much and don't want it to end. Grin
Please
or

GrouchyKiwi · 04/12/2021 21:38

I think there are meant to be 8 in the first season.

Please
or

Whinge · 05/12/2021 07:42

@GrouchyKiwi

I think there are meant to be 8 in the first season.

Phew, thank you for the good news. I'm not ready for it to end yet Grin
Please
or

SoupDragon · 05/12/2021 09:01

It felt like a scene was cut between Liandrin tempting Nynaeve to go into the gardens and the Ogier meeting her there (why did he go there?) We didn't see the meeting happening, just the Ogier turning up with Nynaeve at The inn where Matt and Rand are staying - it jarred with me.

Yes! It was really odd.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.