Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Wheel Of Time on Prime

Ubiquery · 18/11/2021 20:20

I’ve just read it starts Friday 19th. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good…

OP's posts:
Please
or

MaidenoftheSpear · 21/11/2021 20:29

@NynaeveSedai

You've just made me think it's time to revive this username!

An excellent choice.
Zoe Robbins is really super too, she's got that edge that Nynaeve needs - I very much appreciated her offing a trolloc. Hard as nails.
Please
or

Ubiquery · 21/11/2021 20:47

I've watched all three episodes now and really enjoyed them. I like the world they've created and I'm really liking how they are portraying Thom and the Tuatha'an.

OP's posts:
Please
or

GrouchyKiwi · 21/11/2021 20:54

Zoe Robins is excellent as Nynaeve. I'm happy with pretty much all the casting.

Loved Thom. Have a lot of a crush on him already. Grin

Please
or

littlbrowndog · 21/11/2021 20:55

Eek no spoilers

Am reading books now and watching. Didn’t like first episode

Liked 2nd and will watch 3rd this week

Please
or

WhatMattersMost · 21/11/2021 21:03

It'll have to get a lot better to match GoT at its best. I was slightly immersed, but nowhere near immersed to the extent that I was in Westeros etc.

Please
or

MaidenoftheSpear · 21/11/2021 21:07

Even as an excited/possibly overhyped fan who's been following the shows progress for the last few years, I did think bits of episode 1 were a bit shit..BUT..it does get better by Ep3, by the end of the season i very much hope it will be roaring along.

Please
or

LoveFall · 21/11/2021 21:17

I watched episode one and barely started two.

I am not sure about it. I found the trollocs quite terrifying. I am quite sensitive to violence which is ridiculous really.

I did not like the burning at the stake either.

I am mulling over whether I should keep watching. I know, I am a huge wimp.

Please
or

Ubiquery · 21/11/2021 21:29

The burning at the stake has definitely been the worst bit for me so far. Horrible.

OP's posts:
Please
or

alLanMandragoran · 21/11/2021 21:38

Aaaah old name change, I knew you'd come in useful one day.

Please
or

undercoveraessedai · 22/11/2021 01:42

Ha, also an old name change I never thought would be properly relevant!

Please
or

GlumyGloomer · 22/11/2021 16:21

@LoveFall I stopped watching ep 2 last night because Shardar Logath was creeping me out 😅. It's about 20 years since I read the first book, and I can't remember enough of what happens next to know how disturbing it could potentially be on screen...

Please
or

GrouchyKiwi · 22/11/2021 16:30

I loved Shadar Logoth, it looked exactly how I imagined it. Not completely happy with Mashadar (the creeping death stuff) but I guess they couldn't really make it look like fog since it would look too much like the threads of saidar Moiraine has been channelling.

Please
or

GlumyGloomer · 22/11/2021 16:47

So how disturbing is it on the doctor who scale? Where 1 is a darleck and 10 are the weeping angles?

Please
or

GrouchyKiwi · 22/11/2021 16:52

Er. I am the worst person to ask since I find none of Dr Who scary. But I'd say it's chilling without being terrifying.

Please
or

TheShadoutCrepes · 22/11/2021 16:57

I’m enjoying the series very much so far.

Started reading the books maybe 15 years ago and gave up at book five or six, but this has prompted me to give them another go. Delighted to find that Rosamund Pike has narrated the new audiobook on Audible, she’s absolutely fantastic.

Re grass in the village (I’ve just listened to the description) there is barely any grass as Spring hasn’t really arrived. Much emphasis on bareness of the place being A. Bad. Omen.

Very much looking forward to episode four but doubt I will catch up to that point in the audiobook by then. The whole thing is 31 hours long (with the entire series, not all narrated by Rosamund sadly, coming in at 140 hours 😂)

Please
or

GlumyGloomer · 22/11/2021 17:10

@GrouchyKiwi thanks for trying to help a wimp Grin

Please
or

Belathecreator · 22/11/2021 19:01

Full disclosure, I'm not really rational about these books.

Aged 15 I shoved book one into the hands of the other major fantasy nerd at school, and mistakenly told him the series was near the end at six books. Well, twenty-four years, sixteen books, one author death, a marriage and two children later they've finally made it to screen. DH (said fantasy nerd) keeps getting into internet debates about it. Meanwhile, I'm playing it cool, but may have listened to the Manetheren song a dozen times today.

I have thoughts, good and bad, about the adaptation. But at the end of the day I'm still just hoping they get it mostly right.

Please
or

massistar · 23/11/2021 15:28

Somehow I haven't read the books even though they're right up my street. Think the sheer number of them always put me off.

Am very much enjoying the series so far though it's annoying me not having insider knowledge like I had with GoT.

Please
or

HugeAckmansWife · 23/11/2021 19:49

havent read the books though normally would. I feel like now I can't get into something that vast. So far I'm quite disappointed..the Times reviewer referred the "Trollocks bollocks" which I think I concur with and the river crossing and the thing leading the Trollocks felt like SUCH a copy cat of the first Nazgul chase across the Brandywine in LOTR. G0T was a lot edgier.. this all feels a bit "fantasy lite" so far.

Please
or

Ubiquery · 23/11/2021 20:06

havent read the books though normally would. I feel like now I can't get into something that vast. So far I'm quite disappointed..the Times reviewer referred the "Trollocks bollocks" which I think I concur with and the river crossing and the thing leading the Trollocks felt like SUCH a copy cat of the first Nazgul chase across the Brandywine in LOTR. G0T was a lot edgier.. this all feels a bit "fantasy lite" so far.

So, will you carry on watching? Grin

OP's posts:
Please
or

Campervan69 · 23/11/2021 20:46

I haven't read the books but loved the 1st 3 episodes of this so have now downloaded all the books onto my kindle and have my winter reading sorted. Very happy to have discovered a new series like this as completely my kind of thing.

Please
or

Mynameisthecatwhogotthecream · 23/11/2021 21:01

I was glad they fitted the menatheren story in as that's the kind of thing that leads to the sense of history. Shadar Logoth was creepy, but a shame Elyas Machera hasn't appeared

Please
or

GrouchyKiwi · 23/11/2021 21:03

We have a spoiler thread for those who have read the books, just so we don't give things away in this one.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/telly_addicts/4406419-WHEEL-OF-TIME-book-reader-thread-spoilers

Please
or

littlbrowndog · 23/11/2021 21:22

Am on book 4 I love them

Please
or

HugeAckmansWife · 23/11/2021 22:05

I don't know. I do normally love thi's kind of thing but I only have about 1-2 hours a night at most and there is so much other good binge worthy stuff, and books of course.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.