My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Whether you're into football, athletics, tennis, golf or cricket, join the dicsussion on our Sport forum.

Sports

The Rolling Football Thread, season 2023-24

985 replies

DuncinToffee · 23/07/2023 09:20

Football fans join in to share the joy, the heartache and VAR frustration ⚽

The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.

OP posts:
DuncinToffee · 23/07/2023 09:29

The new season will kick off on 4th August with the Championship fixture Sheffield Wednesday v Southampton

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scores-fixtures/2023-08-05

Premier League starts with Burnley v Manchester City on 11th August 8pm

Saturday 12 August 2023
12:30 Arsenal v Nott'm Forest 
AFC Bournemouth v West Ham
Brighton v Luton Town
Everton v Fulham
Sheff Utd v Crystal Palace
17:30 Newcastle v Aston Villa 

Sunday 13 August 2023
14:00 Brentford v Spurs 
16:30 Chelsea v Liverpool 

Monday 14 August 2023
20:00 Man Utd v Wolves 

OP posts:
Tarkan · 23/07/2023 09:39

Thanks for the new thread.

A quick reintroduction from me. I'm in Scotland and support my local team Arbroath (and have a season ticket).

But I also support Rangers (I'm originally from Glasgow) and West Ham (my gran was from Romford). 😁

Brefugee · 23/07/2023 10:15

The new season will kick off on 4th August with the Championship fixture Sheffield Wednesday v Southampton

I can see the Owls starting their dive for the bottom of the table right from the start. Hoping i can make it to a match this season. But alas, since i had to plan my trip to Sheffield to coincide with the international break, not much hope of that.

Gladbach's first match is away, first home match (24th August) is against Leverkusen. Will be interesting to see how Xhaka (ex of Gladbach, about 7? years ago) and Jonas Hoffman (sudden and unexpected switch to Leverkusen during the off season) are received.

YouOnlyCameToSeeEboue · 23/07/2023 15:11

Going to be an interesting season...

DuncinToffee · 23/07/2023 15:18

We just signed Danjuma on loan after he flounced us for Spurs last January, fair play to him.

OP posts:
DuncinToffee · 23/07/2023 15:33

The Scottish Premiership starts on Saturday 5th August

The Scottish Championship kicks off on Friday 4th August with the match Arbroath v Dundee.

The German Bundesliga begins with Werder Bremen v Bayern München on Friday 18th August.

OP posts:
Tarkan · 23/07/2023 15:56

DuncinToffee · 23/07/2023 15:33

The Scottish Premiership starts on Saturday 5th August

The Scottish Championship kicks off on Friday 4th August with the match Arbroath v Dundee.

The German Bundesliga begins with Werder Bremen v Bayern München on Friday 18th August.

It's Dundee United not Dundee for the Arbroath match. Smile Dundee were in the Championship last year and were promoted and Dundee United were Premiership and relegated to add to the confusion. We've basically swapped one Tayside derby for another. Grin

I think it'll be on TV on BBC Scotland (might also be on iplayer for anyone outside Scotland). My seat is a few rows behind the away dugout so anyone watching might spot me at some point. I'm likely to be wearing patterned dungarees and an Arbroath FC bucket hat. Grin

DuncinToffee · 23/07/2023 16:04

I must have cut off United with my c&p, I wanted to make sure I spelled Arbroath right Grin

OP posts:
Tarkan · 23/07/2023 16:34

DuncinToffee · 23/07/2023 16:04

I must have cut off United with my c&p, I wanted to make sure I spelled Arbroath right Grin

Hehe well done. Arbroath is the more important team in that match either way. Grin

It doesn't actually help that we had a pre-season friendly against Dundee earlier this month too.

I'm actually hoping to buy Arbroath's third kit this year, I'm never normally a third kit wearer but it's a lovely blue and yellow one and more importantly it's been done to support Guide Dogs Scotland. Smile

WhiteHartLane · 23/07/2023 16:46

Spurs v Leicester friendly called off earlier today due to a waterlogged pitch.

Looking forward to the new season starting, can't wait to get back to Priestfield, first home game will be Saints under the lights in the Carabao Cup, followed by Accy Stanley in the league. Hope the weather is better by then, love a footie match in the sun.

MustTryHarderAndHarder · 23/07/2023 20:52

YouOnlyCameToSeeEboue · 23/07/2023 15:11

Going to be an interesting season...

Thanks for the new thread OP.

I hope we play better than we did last night.

What do you think of the shirt? I quite like it (I think).

EddieHowesShithousingMags · 24/07/2023 07:59

Checking in for the new thread. Looks like the PL Summer series kicked off for Newcastle in reasonable fashion with a 3-3 draw with Villa last night. Elliott Anderson is having a good preseason so far.

YouOnlyCameToSeeEboue · 24/07/2023 09:29

MustTryHarderAndHarder · 23/07/2023 20:52

Thanks for the new thread OP.

I hope we play better than we did last night.

What do you think of the shirt? I quite like it (I think).

Not overly enamoured with it, I have to admit, even though their marketing department is obviously pushing it as hard as they can!

I liked the mostly black one we had a couple of years ago

DuncinToffee · 24/07/2023 13:17

The Al-Hilal bid for Mbappe is insane Angry

OP posts:
YouOnlyCameToSeeEboue · 24/07/2023 17:50

Anyone setting up a Fantasy Premier League league?

EddieHowesShithousingMags · 24/07/2023 18:17

I had offered to but there wasn’t any interest really, happy to do it though if anyone wants it.

DuncinToffee · 24/07/2023 18:45

I am really really bad at it but could give it a try if you need the numbers Smile

OP posts:
Tarkan · 24/07/2023 18:48

DH and I usually do the Sky one but I am awful at it and keep forgetting about it then I'll check and half my team will be injured. 🙈 But I could try to join in with another for here though. Smile

EddieHowesShithousingMags · 24/07/2023 19:10

I’ll set a league up in the next few days and put the code on here. If it’s just me on there than at least I’ll win 🤣

YouOnlyCameToSeeEboue · 24/07/2023 19:22

I'll join it. I'm always in a group with some family/friends, and occasionally it gets quite competitive!

EddieHowesShithousingMags · 01/08/2023 19:56

I've set up the Mumsnet FC FPL league, for anyone who would like to join for a bit of fun the link is https://fantasy.premierleague.com/leagues/auto-join/fzjtci

The code is fzjtci.

DuncinToffee · 01/08/2023 20:21

Thanks Eddie, I'll have a look later when my laptop is charged.

OP posts:

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

YouOnlyCameToSeeEboue · 01/08/2023 20:52

I'm in!

Tarkan · 01/08/2023 22:25

I'm in too. I'll likely be last but that's not new for me. Grin

EddieHowesShithousingMags · 01/08/2023 22:31

It’s all just fun so playing for nothing but pride (and to give you a vested interest in Luton Town vs Crystal Palace* on a Wednesday night because you have one of their defenders in your FPL team 😂)

*insert two other teams you wouldn’t ordinarily care about.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.