My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find support and share your experiences on our Miscarriage forum.

Miscarriage/pregnancy loss

Dr Shehata advice

1000 replies

Wolfemum · 10/02/2023 08:58

Hello, I am currently experiencing my 3rd consecutive miscarriage and my 2nd MMC. I have been told I will now be referred to the RMC unit but due to my age (42) i think I need to go privately and I was wondering what your opinions are on Dr Shehata? I've heard he has a brilliant reputation but is quite focused on NK cells and less on other things. Can anyone share their thoughts, opinions experiences?
My first pregnancy was healthy and resulted in my 6 year old boy but the last 2 MMC we saw a heartbeat at 6 weeks but then no growth or heartbeat at 7/8 weeks.
Many thanks for reading

OP posts:
MeganBistram · 15/05/2023 18:58

@Wolfemum nice you hear from you.. I didn’t want to ask as you said you were taking a break. Hopefully you have been enjoying having a few months of the constant worrying etc.
I found no side effects from the hydroxy so hopefully you fair well with them :) xx

Wolfemum · 15/05/2023 19:17

@MeganBistram that's great to hear re the side effects as you have enough going on without another thing to deal with.
I definitely needed this break, I've been enjoying wine but saw friends yesterday with their newborn and it made me feel a bit sad but I know we'll all get our chance.

I'm here if you want to chat about anything and will be right there with you soon except you'll be telling me about your morning sickness.

Keep manifesting your dreams xxx

OP posts:
MeganBistram · 16/05/2023 16:54

@Wolfemum sounds like you definitely deserved the wine :) I came on my period today, which I was hoping for as that means the prog only extended my cycle by 2 days :)

Fingers crossed we can all talk about pregnancy symptoms soon. I have booked my first intralipids for next week... let the continued open check book commence xx

MeganBistram · 21/05/2023 07:28

@star2022 how are you feeling ?

Question to everyone who has had progesterone before, did you find your period longer / heavier? Mine definitely is.. I don’t know if that’s because normally I have a short luteral phase and it extended it? Xx

star2022 · 21/05/2023 13:19

@MeganBistram looks like i'm out this cycle too! I tested 10dpo and had a faint line (my trigger stays in my system for the full 14 days!) so I retested again today and its even fainter so i'm on to the next one 😒 I stopped meds on friday so hopefully AF arrives tomorrow so I can try again. Feeling gutted as I really thought getting the polyp removed may have helped us this month.

I'm not sure about the progesterone and periods as mine have been quite heavy and long in general, which I wasn't sure if it was due to the progesterone or the polyp I had. I'll let you know this week now that my polyp has gone, i'll be able to see if their still heavy or not. xx

MeganBistram · 21/05/2023 18:19

@star2022 so sorry lovely.. that sucks big time. It’s hard enough when you’re just trying.. but when you have extra things you’ve done it’s so much worst :(

Will keep everything crossed that next month is your turn

I definitely have noticed the difference in my period but I think that might be because mine are normally short and very light.

I have my first intrilipids on Tuesday.. if it’s the same as the place up here I am deffo going to do my TTC ones up here. It’s only £200 vs. £380 and 20 mins away xx

JandL2020 · 29/05/2023 07:56

Hello ladies. My period is late - I took Adalimumab, currently have a rotten cold/cough. I’m sure it’s the meds/being unwell which is delaying my period. Anyone else period get delayed too? And been unwell on meds? I have a 3D saline scan on Wednesday and so annoyed if my period comes then as not sure if they can do it or not ?! X

MeganBistram · 29/05/2023 15:54

@JandL2020 sorry to hear you’ve not been well. Since having intrilipids/ seriods / adalimulad I seem to have a constant cold but I assume it’s because they are immune suppressors.
Didnt have any delay to my period though.. except the progesterone that delayed it by 2 days once I stopped.
I am sure you have already tested, couldn’t be pregnant? Xx

JandL2020 · 29/05/2023 17:34

Sadly not pregnant. I ordered some tests off Amazon and then hey presto …I started spotting. Xx

Hope646 · 30/05/2023 17:15

@JandL2020 hope you feel better. How long have you been under the medication?
Just to share the side effects that I am experiencing. So it’s my first cycle that I took intralipid and I am currently taking progesterone and prednisone. I get cramps and I think it’s from Progesterone. I do feel tired and drowsy at times but again I am not sure if it’s due to workload or it’s the medicines causing it. I do think I may suffer from cold or other weak immune illness if I take it for longer period.

Right now I am questioning everything. Did we do the deed at the right time or enough of it? 😂 will I feel any early Preg symptoms? I know it’s crazy.
9 more days until my period

JandL2020 · 30/05/2023 17:29

Not long at all…I’m due to take my second injection tonight so I’m only on phase one. My immune system is usually pretty good so this has reallly knocked me sideways. I’m worrying about the second phase. I know I just need to give it everything. I work in health care so higher risk of catching infections. Obviously after my transfer /pregnant I will request not to patient facing. I like to keep busy but need to put my health first and foremost. best of luck for test next week hope you caught at the right time xx

Lily1990 · 30/05/2023 20:24

Hello ladies I hope it’s ok that I join this thread. I’ve been following it for a few weeks now as recently started with Dr Shehata after 4 MCs. I’ve been diagnosed with high NK cells, highly activated NK cells, and high IFN gamma. I’m on Adalimumab (2nd injection due in a few days) then will start phase 2 of intralipids and pred.

It’s really helpful to read what your side effects are (if any) so I can be prepared. I’m quite worried about getting a moon face from pred, and wondered if that’s happened to any of you? I’m telling myself it’s only 10 days a month (until pregnant, when I don’t feel I’d care so much) so maybe that’s not enough time to change your face shape.

Thanks for sharing your stories so far, rooting for you all!

KatyTTC · 30/05/2023 21:23

Hi girls! I haven’t posted on here in a while but I’ve been reading all the posts and updates.
I’ve got my results appt tomorrow following the 2 humira injections to see if I can move in to phase 2. I’m worried as I’m feeling fine! I thought Id starting feeling coldy soon after I had the first injection but turned out that was hayfever or a short lived, very mild cold and I have felt totally fine ever since. In a weird way that worries me as I don’t want to have to repeat the Humira… it’s time and money!
@JandL2020 and @Lily1990 i feel the same. Im also used to having a great immune system and never getting Ill and I’ve gained weight in the last year or so since having the 4 MCs so I’m dreading any more weight gain and moon face from prednisone:((. Anyone I say that to thinks I’m crazy to be worrying about my weight when the end result could be a healthy baby and I know that’s the way I should be thinking but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t worrying about it.

@MeganBistram @star2022 @seven201 how are you all getting on?

Xx

KamoHel · 01/06/2023 14:45

Hello! @JandL2020 I’ve been following this thread as also on phase 1 of Dr S complex plan. I developed a chest infection after first Humira jab and due to take the second today/tomorrow but not fully recovered yet. Did you take the second jab with your cold? Did it have any impact? So nervous after seeing my immune system get knocked for six!

JandL2020 · 01/06/2023 15:39

Hey! Sorry to hear you’ve had a chest infection, they are crap aren’t they?! I’ve not fully recovered but much better, I took my second injection on Tuesday as planned…headachey today and lightheaded but on my period so attributing those symptoms to that. Dreading another upper resp infection. I’m going to Glastonbury festival end of the month too 🤦‍♀️ xx

KamoHel · 01/06/2023 17:26

Ah no! Really hope it’s stay away for you then! It’s so stressful adding this on top of everything else isn’t it 🤦🏻‍♀️

MeganBistram · 01/06/2023 21:45

@KatyTTC how did the appointment go? Have you managed to move into phase 2?

I am on day 3 DPO so a week to go before we can test.

re moon face and symptoms I have to say I thought the 10 days would be fine but my hunger levels were insane and took about a week to die down after I stopped. I am a size 10 and barely fluctuate so this is killing me 😱

I decided this month to start the steroids on day 5 DPO instead of immediately so I only take for 5 days. I have no problems with implantation and the steroid I requested rather than it being my protocol so I hope this doesn’t impact anything.

hope everyone is well. Looks like a lot of us are at the start of our journey together xx

KatyTTC · 01/06/2023 22:49

Hi @MeganBistram . Keeping everything crossed for you this month. V interesting to hear about the side effects of prednisone. Dreading that one.
No… the Humira didn’t work well enough (numbers came down but not enough) so I’ve got to repeat :(. I get the drugs tomorrow. It’s another month which in the grand scheme of things is nothing.
Given it’s taken me a while to get pregnant in the past he suggested going straight on to the superovulation programme when we’re ready after the next set of Humira jabs.
Are you doing this? I know a few people mentioned it but I can’t remember who.
Did it make you nervous that he didn’t want to test your nk cell levels again after your second round of Humira? I guess we just have to trust it’s worked? And so does he? Just seems odd to me he wouldn’t make absolutely sure the numbers have all come down to a normal level?
xx

KatyTTC · 01/06/2023 22:51

Ps. Did you find 5 days had less of an effect on your appetite?
How soon after taking did you start getting hungry?
xx

MeganBistram · 03/06/2023 07:41

@KatyTTC how annoying for you. I had the same and yes I also wondered if we were just best to test again even though it’s super expensive but he seems very adamant all will be fine.
I have not done the 5 days vs. 10 days yet. I am only just about to start them now. I will let you know if it makes a difference.
I reckon about 5 days in the hunger kicked in and then maybe 5 days after I stopped.
I am not on the super ovulation as haven’t taken more than 4 months to fall pregnant before. However if we don’t in the next 2 months we will go for that with him. Are you booked in to start the process? Xx

KatyTTC · 03/06/2023 09:52

@MeganBistram not booked in as such but I’ve got the prescription for all
the drugs when I’m ready in a months time. Going to ask my Gp if they’ll do any for me to try and save a few £s here and there!
For the SO programme you have to have a (very expensive!) scan between days 11-13 of your cycle and more drugs (something to boost follicles and then a trigger shot to release the egg at the right time) so as soon as we’ve finished the humira and I know what day 11-13 will be I can book in for that if I want to. We might try a month or 2 on our own and then go for SO. Not sure. It’s just all so much money so I’m trying to work out whether doing the SO programme will actually save us money in the long run if im doing the intralipids etc if it then doesn’t work for months on end.

How are you feeling now you’ve started trying again and you’re in the 2WW?
Have you cut anything out of your diet? I’m trying to be so healthy but I’m putting on weight. Bit baffled by that but I’ve read lots of things to say the humira can do this to you :(. Have you or your partner totally stopped drinking? He said to us zero alcohol and I don’t drink much anyway but my husband isn’t keen on this idea!

Sending you and everyone in this group so much luck for the journey ahead.

@seven201 how are you feeling?

xx

clhsgirl · 03/06/2023 11:48

Pasting from my own thread incase it gets more views here...

Hi all, I have an appointment with Dr Shehata next week after just having my 2nd miscarriage. I have a high BMI and was refused IVF on the NHS because of this. I managed to get to a BMI of 34 before I started IVF but then put the weight back on again after the first miscarriage. I am wondering if anyone has seen Dr Shehata (on the NHS especially) with a high BMI and if this is something that is mentioned or affects treatment. I was planning on losing weight before seeing him but we've managed to get a cancellation appointment and definitely don't want to miss the opportunity but I am very conscious of my weight having had this held against me in the past.

seven201 · 04/06/2023 10:53

@clhsgirl sorry to hear of your troubles. I don't know the answer but didn't want to leave your question unanswered. prof S can be quite blunt so be prepared for that. If you're after ivf through him / Surrey nhs then he'd have to go with the local nhs trust rules, which is probably no ivf if BMI over 35. For recurrent mc tests and treatment I have no idea if that is a deciding factor in treatment - I'd hope not.

Sorry for the delayed replies - I've had a busy couple of weeks. Trying to catch up but apologies if I get confused or miss anyone.

@star2022 sorry to hear about the BFN. That sucks.

Sorry to those suffering the side effects of the meds, especially the weakened immune system ones.

@Lily1990 I didn't get moon face until I'd been on it a long time, never when just short time for ttc.

@KatyTTC I only had one set of humira injection with no re-test. I think it lasts about a year and then you need a re-test. I did the superovulation program. I don't remember being told to stop alcohol - I still had the occasional glass of wine and dh had some drinking nights out, although not near ovulation time.

Good luck to those in the TWW!

Not much to report from me. I'm 17 1/2 weeks pregnant now. Still doesn't feel real to be honest, other than my big tummy. Not felt anything yet but I have an anterior placenta (at the front so can cushion the feeling of kicks etc).

clhsgirl · 04/06/2023 11:12

seven201 · 04/06/2023 10:53

@clhsgirl sorry to hear of your troubles. I don't know the answer but didn't want to leave your question unanswered. prof S can be quite blunt so be prepared for that. If you're after ivf through him / Surrey nhs then he'd have to go with the local nhs trust rules, which is probably no ivf if BMI over 35. For recurrent mc tests and treatment I have no idea if that is a deciding factor in treatment - I'd hope not.

Sorry for the delayed replies - I've had a busy couple of weeks. Trying to catch up but apologies if I get confused or miss anyone.

@star2022 sorry to hear about the BFN. That sucks.

Sorry to those suffering the side effects of the meds, especially the weakened immune system ones.

@Lily1990 I didn't get moon face until I'd been on it a long time, never when just short time for ttc.

@KatyTTC I only had one set of humira injection with no re-test. I think it lasts about a year and then you need a re-test. I did the superovulation program. I don't remember being told to stop alcohol - I still had the occasional glass of wine and dh had some drinking nights out, although not near ovulation time.

Good luck to those in the TWW!

Not much to report from me. I'm 17 1/2 weeks pregnant now. Still doesn't feel real to be honest, other than my big tummy. Not felt anything yet but I have an anterior placenta (at the front so can cushion the feeling of kicks etc).

Thanks for your response, I really appreciate you taking the time to write back. I am already privately funded for IVF as NHS rejected me for my BMI. My first cycle resulted in one failure and two early losses (I don't seem to have issues with implantation apparently) and that cycle is complete now. I have been told by a nurse from the RMC at St Helier that my weight shouldn't be an issue for the tests but it is good to have to the heads up that he can be blunt so I can prepare for that.

Lily1990 · 04/06/2023 21:11

@seven201 thanks for your reply, that’s great to hear that you didn’t develop moon face until you’d been on it for a long time! 17.5 weeks is so exciting, congratulations! It’s so great to have positive stories like yours to give us hope. What is your background prior to this pregnancy? And had you been trying on Dr S’s plan for a while?

Does anyone else on this thread have PCOS as well as immune issues? I have PCO with late ovulation and a short luteal phase (guess that’s addressed with Cyclogest though) but wouldn’t be surprised if Dr S puts me on the super ovulation plan too.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

This thread is not accepting new messages.