Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

Some restrictions back, fed up

Ireallydontcare55 · 27/11/2021 19:55

Just heard the news about masks returning as of next week and changes to travelling rules.

It’s not so much that wearing a mask is inconvenient, it’s the fact that we were told restrictions were over and that we could get on with our lives.

I know I will get shot down for this post, but if it isn’t the ‘omnicron’ variant then it’ll be something else.

I’m sure many people will be in favour of tighter restrictions ‘until numbers drop’. And then what? In a few months’ time when the latest variant is out, will we have to do the same again?
“it’s just for a few weeks/months”

This isn’t going away. What’s the point of having 3 vaccines?

I’m fed up with it all, are people really prepared to do this for the foreseeable future ?

OP's posts:
Please
or

sst1234 · 27/11/2021 20:24

@RandomLondoner

I take it you are also keeping a tally of deaths caused by Covid restrictions. Care to share that number?

That number is already baked into the excess deaths figure, which is more or less the same as the deaths from Covid figure. 142K excess deaths means that many more people have died than would have died if there had been no Covid. Extra deaths caused by Covid restrictions are counted in the number. On the other hand, people who died from Covid but would have died from something else anyway are not counted in the number.

The number is what it is, it's the number of extra people who have died because of Covid, regardless of what they died from.

Huh? So people who have had their life expectancy reduced because GPS wouldn’t see them face to face, people whose incomes have reduced, children whose education and subsequent life chances have been damaged. All this is baked in? Baked into what? The damage is done and will show itself over years to come. But hey, who cares because Covid is all that matters.
Please
or

toomuchlaundry · 27/11/2021 20:24

We were told in the summer that some restrictions might come back in the winter. We were never told that there would never be anymore restrictions

Please
or

Sweetchocolatecandy · 27/11/2021 20:24

I’m with you OP, we’re clearly going backwards. I’m also worried that when new cases of the new variant increase (which they inevitably will) restrictions will get worse again ie. back to social bubbles, not being able to see family over Christmas etc. Of course the government aren’t going to announce all of this now as there would be uproar and non compliance but I won’t be surprised when it happens.

Please
or

MrzClaus · 27/11/2021 20:25

It's so annoying! What was the point of all the vaccinations and previous lockdowns if they're just going to do this every time there's a new strain. There's new flu strains every year - it needs to be managed like the flu, jabs and common sense!

I'm really annoyed, I've got a wedding in three weeks, a week in America - and meant to be having a UK trip next week. Very stressed about the sudden reintroduction of measures!

I do find it strange how quickly people dismiss wearing masks as simple / quick / no problem / easy. They're not particularly eco friendly, annoying to wear and just all in all unpleasant. Just because some people are willing to wear them forever (really?!) doesn't mean it should just be accepted as the norm.

I'm young (ish! Late 20s). I've lost nearly two years of my life, when I'm at a time I could travel without the worry of having young children, at a point with work where we finally have enough spare cash to actually do things we'd want to, have cancelled several weddings, lost family members and not been able to have proper funerals, missed out on seeing friends etc I feel like it's a never ending nightmare!!!

Please
or

ShellfishLove · 27/11/2021 20:25

I’m with you, OP. I hate this life.

Please
or

EileenGC · 27/11/2021 20:26

Agree with the fact that it seems to be adults who struggle with masks or any other restrictions.

Children from the age of 6 wear them all day at school where I live, including playtime and any extra curriculars. Do they complain? No, they understand why it’s needed and tell the adults ‘it’s not that hard’. They don’t complain about steaming glasses and their communication hasn’t suffered (bar those who have impaired hearing or other conditions that are in fact affected by mask wearing).

‘I can’t be arsed to wear a mask in Sainsbury’s anymore’ is not a very strong argument. Just get on with it, where’s the issue.

Please
or

catgirl1976 · 27/11/2021 20:26

I'm not sure who told you restrictions were over and you could get on with your life but they clearly don't understand pandemics.

We are likely to be in this for at least another couple of years. There will be mutations, restrictions will ebb and flow as things change. We may end up back in lockdown, we may not but this is a long way from over and things will change continually whilst the pandemic is ongoing.

We would all like it to be over but no amount of being fed up with it will sadly bring that about.

Please
or

Bagamoyo1 · 27/11/2021 20:26

@RandomLondoner

I take it you are also keeping a tally of deaths caused by Covid restrictions. Care to share that number?

That number is already baked into the excess deaths figure, which is more or less the same as the deaths from Covid figure. 142K excess deaths means that many more people have died than would have died if there had been no Covid. Extra deaths caused by Covid restrictions are counted in the number. On the other hand, people who died from Covid but would have died from something else anyway are not counted in the number.

The number is what it is, it's the number of extra people who have died because of Covid, regardless of what they died from.

What is needed is a breakdown of how many of those excess deaths were caused by actual Covid infection, and how many weren’t. And if the Covid deaths don’t outweigh the non Covid deaths, then some serious consideration needs to be giving to the restrictions.
Please
or

Sparklingbrook · 27/11/2021 20:27

@toomuchlaundry

We were told in the summer that some restrictions might come back in the winter. We were never told that there would never be anymore restrictions

Yes, I'm not sure if any of this is a surprise, it's an ever changing situation as it always has been.
Please
or

alwayswrighty · 27/11/2021 20:27

I'm not going to wear a mask again. I've had Covid, I could just as easily get cancer, get hit by a bus or die of something else. Everyone will die one day and I'm not tiptoeing around a virus that will mutate for the foreseeable future.

I'm not a Covid denier. I've had both vaccines. But I'm damned if I'm prepared to live like this

I'm in this camp. Sick of it tbh

Please
or

daisychain01 · 27/11/2021 20:27

@Ireallydontcare55

What worries me is how willingly people have accepted the idea of wearing a mask for the rest of their life potentially

Why does it worry you what others choose to do?

I have never stopped wearing a mask, it's a socially conscious thing to do and it hasn't affected my life. If anything it has helped me continue with my normal life a lot easier having mask wearing as part of my normal routine. I don't even think about it (whereas to begin with it felt strange),

People have made life more difficult for themselves by abandoning masks, now they have to start wearing them again, I don't have to change anything.
Please
or

firstimemamma · 27/11/2021 20:27

Yanbu op, it's ridiculous. I'm just going to continue to not do any of it. At my son's club they have a mask rule but I just don't wear one and that's that. It's so stupid.

Please
or

RandomLondoner · 27/11/2021 20:28

Excess deaths from what though?

Deaths from everything you can think of, as well as everything you can't think of. The figures measures everything, there's no particular point on focusing on one tiny part of the picture.

Please
or

MarleneDietrichsSmile · 27/11/2021 20:28

I’m with you OP, it’s not just masks, it’s just a step towards another lockdown and another shit winter where we are not allowed to do anything

Just a mask my arse

Masks first, then curfews, then restaurants and bars and theatres close, we must work from home again, only go out once a day, sports cancelled … life cancelled

We’re on that path again

People have short memories

“Just masks”? Hmm yeah right Sad

Please
or

Zampa · 27/11/2021 20:28

I hate wearing a mask. I find it really claustrophobic.

However, having had two "worst colds of my life" in the past two months, I'm delighted to see mask wearing back if it protects me from people who would have passed their grubby germs onto me if they hadn't been wearing one.

I will, of course, continue to extend them the same courtesy.

Please
or

pointythings · 27/11/2021 20:29

I never stopped wearing masks in indoor public venues and on public transport. It's no hardship. It's been part of the cuture in other countries in cold and flu season in any case so we're just adopting someone else's existing practice - and it makes sense.

You seem to think that life should be completely static and never changing. That's a very deluded view of how life is. I'm 53 years old and the world now is very different to the one I grew up in. Change is inevitable, adapt or die.

Please
or

MarshaBradyo · 27/11/2021 20:29

I get what you’re saying op

It’s hard to see a way off the wheel atm

I really hope this variant doesn’t cause more restrictions

Please
or

PizzaCrust · 27/11/2021 20:29

Obviously excluding those who cannot wear a mask for genuine reasons, anyone complaining about mask wearing needs to give their head a wobble.

Going into a shop and wearing a mask for about 3-45 minutes is not the end of the fucking world. Plenty of us have to wear them for the entire fucking shift. I work 9 hour shifts so I wore my mask for over 8 hours. I only took it off when I was on my break and to eat/drink. And this was a job where I was on my feet all day, doing manual labour. It was fucking horrendous over summer, I was soaked with sweat after my shifts ended. But I had to do it as it was company policy to keep customers safe. So it does fuck me off to no end when people are complaining about wearing a mask on here for a tiny portion of their day and they are able to wear one.

Again, absolutely no issues with those who can't. Everyone else should be able to grow up and deal with it for 5 minutes without whining like an overtired toddler wanting ice cream at 2am.

Please
or

doublemonkey · 27/11/2021 20:29

@EileenGC

Agree with the fact that it seems to be adults who struggle with masks or any other restrictions.

Children from the age of 6 wear them all day at school where I live, including playtime and any extra curriculars. Do they complain? No, they understand why it’s needed and tell the adults ‘it’s not that hard’. They don’t complain about steaming glasses and their communication hasn’t suffered (bar those who have impaired hearing or other conditions that are in fact affected by mask wearing).

‘I can’t be arsed to wear a mask in Sainsbury’s anymore’ is not a very strong argument. Just get on with it, where’s the issue.

They shouldn't be wearing masks though, the 6 year olds, should they?

It's bordering on obscene to make them.
Please
or

Helpel · 27/11/2021 20:29

I just don't get all these people who are like "the masks don't really matter, it's a minor inconvenience". Yeah yeah I know it's not a life changer, but I (like many) was planning on a lovely day out to our nearest big city to Christmas shop, browsing, popping for a coffee, talking freely, maybe a wine or two, etc. I won't go now. No fun in make-up transfer mask, repeating myself to make myself heard, mask on/off to eat and drink. Fuck that, it's just not AS pleasant with a mask on. No it won't ruin my life but yes it will make it more miserable for key moments. So I just won't bother. And that's what is frustrating and miserable about this ongoing shit show.

Please
or

Getyourarseofffthequattro · 27/11/2021 20:29

To those saying get over it, rules change all the time. No they don't. Not before COVID. This has literally never happened before. It was not even a consideration that you might get home from work one night and be told to stay at home.

This is totally abnormal. Rules usually have to go through a whole process. Laws don't get the okay overnight with no warning do they? No.

Please
or

sst1234 · 27/11/2021 20:30

@MarleneDietrichsSmile

I’m with you OP, it’s not just masks, it’s just a step towards another lockdown and another shit winter where we are not allowed to do anything

Just a mask my arse

Masks first, then curfews, then restaurants and bars and theatres close, we must work from home again, only go out once a day, sports cancelled … life cancelled

We’re on that path again

People have short memories

“Just masks”? Hmm yeah right Sad

Exactly, enjoy Xmas folks. After that, it’s another lockdown for months to come. Polish up on your home schooling now.
Please
or

Lightswitch123 · 27/11/2021 20:30

@JustLyra

Nigh on 100k excess deaths in England and Wales. 100k people more than usual dying in 12 months.

Hardly a hardship to wear a mask and open some windows to keep that as low as possible.

A lot of these are due to things that were nit dealt with , because of lockdown

I'm with you OP
Please
or

Namenic · 27/11/2021 20:31

It’s a small thing compared to other big issues - like increasing ambulance queues, waiting lists for operations, climate change.

Sometimes life has to change. We can’t smoke in pubs and clubs - would never have thought that one would get public backing. Some v old people may be around when they didn’t have as many driving restrictions. Airport checks and liquids restrictions. Once upon a time surgeons didn’t wear masks either…

Please
or

Zampa · 27/11/2021 20:31

@Helpel

I just don't get all these people who are like "the masks don't really matter, it's a minor inconvenience". Yeah yeah I know it's not a life changer, but I (like many) was planning on a lovely day out to our nearest big city to Christmas shop, browsing, popping for a coffee, talking freely, maybe a wine or two, etc. I won't go now. No fun in make-up transfer mask, repeating myself to make myself heard, mask on/off to eat and drink. Fuck that, it's just not AS pleasant with a mask on. No it won't ruin my life but yes it will make it more miserable for key moments. So I just won't bother. And that's what is frustrating and miserable about this ongoing shit show.

Masks are intended for shops and public transport only. Not hospitality.
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.